• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry, cannot find that function. Also cannot search 9100 posts by hand, so I will ask this right away. Of course, if somebody told me where to find the "Seach this thread" function this would help, too.

Y28Iz.png

Sorry, cannot find that function. Also cannot search 9100 posts by hand, so I will ask this right away. Of course, if somebody told me where to find the "Seach this thread" function this would help, too.

I'd like to ask you guys what the rules are for shattering armies - meaning armies dying completely the moment combat begins. I encountered it before, but since now I always thought it happened when the dying army was SO extremely weak compared to the surviving one that there was some sort of instant defeat - rule.

However, today I lost a fresh regiment of 1000 irishmen, happily besieging an English fortress in Glamorgan, to a bunch of RETREATING (i.e. weakened in their moral department) English. It was two armies of English, army 1 consisting of two infantry and one cavalry regiment (survivors of battle before: 233/480/0) and army 2 consisting of a single infantry regiment (survivors 0/454/0). Neither me nor them had a general. Arrival date was the 30th, so no last minute reinforcements on the English side. Admittedly they had longbows, while I still had medieval infantry. I'm playing no mods, Heir to the Throne, no new updates available via the launcher, the readme file giving me a "changes for 3.2.", so I guess I have a 3.2 patch for HTTT. Any help appreciated!

Search thread function is in the toolbar above the post texts below the thread title and forum navigation links (look to the right).

Armies are subject to instant elimination in the following cases:

effectively outnumbered by 10-1 or greater odds (10k to 1k of equivalent tech armies)
entering combat with 0 morale against any force that has morale

additionally, if an army hits 0 morale before they are eligible to retreat it will be eliminated (but not instantly when the combat begins)

In your case, it would seem the enemy retreated before their morale hit 0 and attacked your force the month it was built when it had 0 morale. Armies are created with 0 morale and remain that way until the first day of the following month.

Okay, now this is interesting ... I have neither the option to search the thread nor to rate it ... :wacko:

Thanks for the quick reply, though! :)

Try to register the game. A lot of things on the forum remain invisible until you have added the EU3 games to the list. I was not aware that "search thread" was one of them, but it does not hurt to check.

As Denmark, which countries should I be declaring no-CB wars on to cut off Sweden's insult spam until I can get a higher land force limit than them?
Once in a game as denmark england got so badly beaten that i and my pus conquered it and pretty much got north england and sweden stopped spamming me.
IMO,your best bet is the most weakened nation of the HYW wars,be that France or England or Burgundy.(viking style!)

Armies are subject to instant elimination in the following cases:

effectively outnumbered by 10-1 or greater odds (10k to 1k of equivalent tech armies)
entering combat with 0 morale against any force that has morale

additionally, if an army hits 0 morale before they are eligible to retreat it will be eliminated (but not instantly when the combat begins)

In your case, it would seem the enemy retreated before their morale hit 0 and attacked your force the month it was built when it had 0 morale. Armies are created with 0 morale and remain that way until the first day of the following month.

Thanks for the answer. I fear however that the true reason for my regiment's death is still unclear. I guess I wasn't clear in my first post: I wrote "fresh regiment", but with fresh I meant not having been in combat (i.e., with full manpower and morale), not freshly built. They were an old regiment with full morale at that point.

@serzis:
Thanks for the hint. Will do that as soon as I find the box in my relocation-boxes. Would never have guessed ...

Okay, now this is interesting ... I have neither the option to search the thread nor to rate it ... :wacko:
Try to register the game. A lot of things on the forum remain invisible until you have added the EU3 games to the list. I was not aware that "search thread" was one of them, but it does not hurt to check.
Could also be an issue with number of posts; I think some things don't unlock until you have 5 posts or something.

What's a good way to get round Brandenburg's extreme case of "no, you cannot have a useful mission" and actually get something done instead of cooling my heels for decades at a time? (Having taken Hinterpommern, every time I complete a generic mission I get "Conquer Silesia!" - which wasn't happening when Bohemia owned Breslau, and certainly isn't happening now that Breslau belongs to a vassalized-by-Austria independent Silesia. When I cancel out of that, I get fed "Naval Race with Denmark" or "Protect against Bohemia/Poland".)

What's a good way to get round Brandenburg's extreme case of "no, you cannot have a useful mission" and actually get something done instead of cooling my heels for decades at a time? (Having taken Hinterpommern, every time I complete a generic mission I get "Conquer Silesia!" - which wasn't happening when Bohemia owned Breslau, and certainly isn't happening now that Breslau belongs to a vassalized-by-Austria independent Silesia. When I cancel out of that, I get fed "Naval Race with Denmark" or "Protect against Bohemia/Poland".)

It's not really possible to ignore the Breslau mission if you do not want to go into the event file and remove them. As for the generic "Naval..."/"Protect...," it's just bad luck.

Austria is a problem, but I personally find it quite easy to defeat Bohemia as Brandenburg. Even if you just have 16 v 30, you can crush Bohemia's stacks when you have MD and Men at Arms. When you start a war, they will move two (or more) 15 stacks into your capital and an adjacent province. Just move two provinces away from one of the stacks and it will assault the walls. Then you attack the depleted stack, pushing it until it wipes. As you hunt it one or two steps into Bohemia, the other stack with assault the fort (because you are 2 provinces away). As the first stack wipes, just turn around and crush the second stack. Then you just occupy Bohemia and take what you want. Other nations might enter the war, but if you have land in Ostpreussia, then they will mostly focus on that instead. The behavior seems surprisingly repetitive in my campaigns.

I should add: I'm playing a 5.2 beta at the moment. Anything that involves "assault forts at near-equal land tech and only a 10:1 advantage over the garrison" isn't happening. Especially given that the current 5.2 beta gives Brandenburg a starting LFL of 8.

I'm fighting a war to put GB into a union as France. I have a huge economy but have neglected my navy they have 120 ships vs. my 35. So I need to take a huge chunk of the Island in order win the war but can't really land troops due to my small navy. They own all of Ireland/Scotland so I can't place troops through military access. Anyone have any tips on getting my troops onto the Island if I land 30k I should be able to beat them but would like to be able to get more to make it a little more of a sure thing.

The AI knows the location of every fleet you have at sea. Use this fact to your advantage.

I can't see it either - any further suggestions for the reason of the problem?
Could be whatever the issue was with some people being unable to see any search function while others could. Not sure what that was.

Should i unite Britain?
Basically i control all the british isles expect orkney,france and some provinces in north-east spain up to barcelona.I am fully centralized so the only thing that will change is basically my colour and flag,and the current flag of england is much much more fitting than a british one that doesn't even have a reference to france.The only cooler thing is the colour though.I might form it if i change into a republci or the game reaches 1700

Should i unite Britain?
Basically i control all the british isles expect orkney,france and some provinces in north-east spain up to barcelona.I am fully centralized so the only thing that will change is basically my colour and flag,and the current flag of england is much much more fitting than a british one that doesn't even have a reference to france.The only cooler thing is the colour though.I might form it if i change into a republci or the game reaches 1700

There certainly doesn't appear to be a reason not to, unless you're doing a challenge or it doesn't fit into whatever RPing you're doing.

There certainly doesn't appear to be a reason not to, unless you're doing a challenge or it doesn't fit into whatever RPing you're doing.
I am rping that as england i have captured france and some parts of spain :p
I don't see any reason to,i am fully centralized and it won't help me much differently anyway.

I am rping that as england i have captured france and some parts of spain :p
I don't see any reason to,i am fully centralized and it won't help me much differently anyway.
You can wait until there is an event that shifts you to more de-centralised and then enact the decision to save you from the potentially bad consequences of the event then.