• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This question may have already been asked, i'm not one to look around forums for hours. :wacko:

I was just wondering is there any other game with the Paradox Points feature? I have got Victoria 2 and Crusader Kings and they don't seem to have them.

Ah, it was military access. Thanks for that.

Next question:

How do you deal with the Golden Horde?

I just achieved a border with them and we have been at a stalemate for five years. They will not cross my border because I have 30,000 infantry, 20,000 cavalry, my best general, and a defensive bonus waiting on them. I won't cross their border because I will be instantly hit by 10% attrition and get zerged by roughly 130,000 nomads. Should I just continue the stalemate or try something else? It would cost me 53 ducats monthly for tribute and I simply cannot afford to pay that sort of price tag. I could admit defeat, but then I'd be in the same situation in a few years.

That said, it is becoming quite exhausting to keep my military upkeep at max and leaving 65% of my military resources on that border. Every time I lower my maintenance or pull troops from their front for another war, they try to cross and more than once they have managed to push into my territory. just recently I had to pull 16,000 troops from that front to help in my war against Austria and sure enough, the Horde pushed across and I had to retreat my remaining forces on that front to keep from losing 34 complete brigades. It is absolutely tiring at this point.

Probably best to concede defeat, assuming you don't believe it is practicable to sieze a couple of their provinces and get them to concede instead. As long as you are at war with the horde it increases the likelyhood of attack from other directions (see a.i. vs OE). Far better to spend the 5 years at truce than to pay full upkeep and promote the view that you are vulnerable due to that war.

Another possibility for the broken alliance question-if your ally is currently involved in a different war on the same side as someone who attacks you they can't defend you even if they want to. This is generally the more likely scenario as most stability hits don't occur for defensive calls to arms.

What considerations does the AI take into consideration before it declares war? Also, this question applies to the "Impossible, Very Unlikely, Unlikely, Maybe, Likely, Very Likely" probabilities that affect alliance proposals, as well as RMs and MAs. If this is too demanding of a question, then I'm sorry.

What considerations does the AI take into consideration before it declares war? Also, this question applies to the "Impossible, Very Unlikely, Unlikely, Maybe, Likely, Very Likely" probabilities that affect alliance proposals, as well as RMs and MAs. If this is too demanding of a question, then I'm sorry.

Two fairly different questions here...

For declarations of war: key considerations include will they lose stability and relative war capacity numbers. Relations only seem to matter if they are good enough to cause a stability hit. War capacity includes things like percentage of force limit built, your current wars, and war exhaustion. Note also, if your forces can't reach them such as an overseas nation with no/little navy it has a large impact on the war capacity number. Religious group also seems to matter in my experience as nations seem more likely to attack heathens than co-religionists or heretics but this is harder to quantify. Having a CB or mission is not a huge factor although it also has some bearing.

RMs are reasonably likely as long as you have the same religion and better than -25 or so relations, moreso if either side lacks legitimacy. For MA religion again seems to be a significant factor, much more so than relations which can be well into the negatives without being a prohibitive factor.

For alliances the same sort of religious discrimination applies making it pretty hard to get allies among heathens, even if the two nations in question historically were allies at some point. You also absolutely cannot ally someone you have negative relations with (and the a.i. will almost immediately break alliances with nations that have negative relations with them). There is also a limit on the number of non-union/vassal allies a nation can have that will turn otherwise excellent odds into impossible. The ai seems to prioritize allying with nations of the same or higher power level so it is much easier to get allies smaller than you are than bigger powers. Finally, nations are highly unlikely to ally with nations they fear or view as rivals.

Two fairly different questions here...

For declarations of war: key considerations include will they lose stability and relative war capacity numbers. Relations only seem to matter if they are good enough to cause a stability hit. War capacity includes things like percentage of force limit built, your current wars, and war exhaustion. Note also, if your forces can't reach them such as an overseas nation with no/little navy it has a large impact on the war capacity number. Religious group also seems to matter in my experience as nations seem more likely to attack heathens than co-religionists or heretics but this is harder to quantify. Having a CB or mission is not a huge factor although it also has some bearing.

RMs are reasonably likely as long as you have the same religion and better than -25 or so relations, moreso if either side lacks legitimacy. For MA religion again seems to be a significant factor, much more so than relations which can be well into the negatives without being a prohibitive factor.

For alliances the same sort of religious discrimination applies making it pretty hard to get allies among heathens, even if the two nations in question historically were allies at some point. You also absolutely cannot ally someone you have negative relations with (and the a.i. will almost immediately break alliances with nations that have negative relations with them). There is also a limit on the number of non-union/vassal allies a nation can have that will turn otherwise excellent odds into impossible. The ai seems to prioritize allying with nations of the same or higher power level so it is much easier to get allies smaller than you are than bigger powers. Finally, nations are highly unlikely to ally with nations they fear or view as rivals.

Thank you.

Probably best to concede defeat, assuming you don't believe it is practicable to sieze a couple of their provinces and get them to concede instead. As long as you are at war with the horde it increases the likelyhood of attack from other directions (see a.i. vs OE). Far better to spend the 5 years at truce than to pay full upkeep and promote the view that you are vulnerable due to that war.

Another possibility for the broken alliance question-if your ally is currently involved in a different war on the same side as someone who attacks you they can't defend you even if they want to. This is generally the more likely scenario as most stability hits don't occur for defensive calls to arms.

Right. I needed to read the question more carefully. It probably wasn't a stab hit they were worried about. But webs of alliances can get tricky. If you have a save game from just before that, it would be interesting to load it up and see what their diplomatic situation was.

There is also a limit on the number of non-union/vassal allies a nation can have that will turn otherwise excellent odds into impossible.

Yes. Thanks for that post, brifbates. Good information, and it squares with my experience. I was getting a lot of "impossible" ratings when trying to ally with minor princes in the HRE. There seemed to be no good reason. So a great number vassal alliances must count against your chances of getting new alliances as well, no?

There seemed to be no good reason. So a great number vassal alliances must count against your chances of getting new alliances as well, no?

Not in my experience. However, nations allied with you due to force releasing during peace deals do count against your limit. Also, the limit exists on both sides so if they already have 3 or 4 non-vassal allies your chances are really bad/impossible even if you have 0 and vice versa.

members of the holy see

I know what causes a new cardinal to be chosen (or what the factors in your chance of getting one chosen are.) What makes them disappear? The reason I ask is that the See membership seems to be in constant flux in the game. I know it's an abstraction (the actual See is a complex body with non-cardinals, various departments and such.) Just wondering how the game decides it's time for your guy to go. Is it just random?

Not in my experience. However, nations allied with you due to force releasing during peace deals do count against your limit. Also, the limit exists on both sides so if they already have 3 or 4 non-vassal allies your chances are really bad/impossible even if you have 0 and vice versa.

Ahh... Thanks again, brifbates.

I know what causes a new cardinal to be chosen (or what the factors in your chance of getting one chosen are.) What makes them disappear? The reason I ask is that the See membership seems to be in constant flux in the game. I know it's an abstraction (the actual See is a complex body with non-cardinals, various departments and such.) Just wondering how the game decides it's time for your guy to go. Is it just random?

I don't know the exact mathematics, but cardinals, like advisors or generals, die. Prompting new cardinals from either the same or different countries to take their place.

Don't they seem to die at an alarming rate then? Like somebody never does the dishes at the Vatican? ;)
They're a bunch of old men holding highly prized church-political office. Death by inexplicably high blood arsenic levels qualifies as "natural causes" ;-)

Hi,

I'm not sure it really is a quick question, but I didn't really want to create a new thread about this (however if you think I should create a new thread, I will)

Basically I'm going to start my first MP game as Portugal, and I wanted to know what kind of strategy to adopt :) (I'm kind of a EU3 noob too ahem >>)

Because for example II don't think the Mercantilism sliders are viable? As I can't really go conquering other player's COT (I'd be wiped out fairly quickly^^)

So yeah, any tips are very welcome :p

Because for example II don't think the Mercantilism sliders are viable? As I can't really go conquering other player's COT (I'd be wiped out fairly quickly^^
The usual myth... I wouldn't move the Mercantilism-Free Trade slider until you get a hold on the Americas - when you do, I would move it towards Mercantilism.

I'm really new so yeah, I do believe in myth and magic and the such ;D

How would that work? I thought Mercantilism was good if you owned a lot of COT? Which won't really be possible I think? (i'm gonna get Mexico, Lima and probably the northern tribes one I think, but is that enough?)

I'm really new so yeah, I do believe in myth and magic and the such ;D

How would that work? I thought Mercantilism was good if you owned a lot of COT?
It's not like that. Mercantilism is good if you own a lot of provinces and control and lot of trade value. So you if you have a single CoT worth 6000 ducats, it probably pays off to be mercantilist even though you only have a single CoT. Or you can have 5 CoTs each with 150 value and it would pay off to be Free Trade.

So that means assuming I can create a big colonial empire, it pays off to be Mercantile then? Ok :)

Apart from that, I was wondering, as Portugal, if most of my provinces are overseas and cored, would it make sense to move my capital to the Americas?

And what do I do in the first 40 years? So far I've been going with the "hide in a corner, build up the treasury for colonization" approach but it sounds quite boring ^^