• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a specific short Holland question:
Utrecht annexed Gelre early on in the game, while I was still under a PU with Hainaut (For some eason, Burgundy put Hainaut in their sphere of influence, and didn't attack. I had to wait for the ruler to die, before I was free to pursue my own wars). Soon after, England was involved in 5 different wars at once, including one with Utrecht and it's allies. So I took the chance, and vassalised Utrecht when I asked England for an Alliance. But Gelre was attached. Now, I can't seem to get the 'incorporate Utrecht into your country' mission. Is this because of the fact that Utrecht still holds Gelre, as my vassal? In effect, can't the mission fire because Gelre would be a part of the bargain as well?
I just aggro vassalised Friesland, and got the mission to incorporate it like, one mission later...

If you are playing the beta this might be the case. I'm not sure about 5.1 but I know there were, at one point, complaints about getting the incorporate mission and ending up with unlawful territory because of it so that may have been addressed in a patch.

If you haven't expanded elsewhere it is because they have as many provinces as you. This definitely blocks the annex vassal mission.

I'm playing as France, I've annexed one of my vassals and destroyed Castille, making them release all sorts of nations and then leaving them open to attack by Portugal. My only nearby rivals are England and Burgundy (Me and England are in a very secure alliance, though). My question is unrelated to this, though. Why can't I get my yearly income higher? I'm paying quite a bit for being over the forcelimit but even if I go back under the forcelimit my yearly income is still pretty dire. I have 5 merchants in 3 CoTs at +2 free trade (I was contemplating going full mercantilism, but just my one CoT wouldn't be enough to justify it). What can I do to get my income up? It's like 70 at the end of the year with a net gain of +10 or something. This is my first time playing France though, maybe I am expecting too much? In my England and Spain games I can easily get massive incomes - Is it just more difficult for France? Will it improve when I start consolidating my vassals more?

I'm playing as France, I've annexed one of my vassals and destroyed Castille, making them release all sorts of nations and then leaving them open to attack by Portugal. My only nearby rivals are England and Burgundy (Me and England are in a very secure alliance, though). My question is unrelated to this, though. Why can't I get my yearly income higher? I'm paying quite a bit for being over the forcelimit but even if I go back under the forcelimit my yearly income is still pretty dire. I have 5 merchants in 3 CoTs at +2 free trade (I was contemplating going full mercantilism, but just my one CoT wouldn't be enough to justify it). What can I do to get my income up? It's like 70 at the end of the year with a net gain of +10 or something. This is my first time playing France though, maybe I am expecting too much? In my England and Spain games I can easily get massive incomes - Is it just more difficult for France? Will it improve when I start consolidating my vassals more?

Some things you can do to increase your income is lower your army/navy maintenance when at peace, mint a little and build buildings. Also, don't go over force limit when it's not your only option as it will be very expensive. Choosing economical national ideas also helps. If you do all this, you should be able to maintain a good income. :)

This may be obvious: build the production line in high-income provinces (wine, cloth, metal in France.) Build the land line in wheat provinces (Isle-de-France is good) to increase your manpower.

Can I form Mughals -> HRE -> Mughals, assuming that I already am a culture that can form Mughals and christian? Nothing in the decision files says otherwise (a lot of eastern unifications do not exclude the HRE tag).

Can I form Mughals -> HRE -> Mughals, assuming that I already am a culture that can form Mughals and christian? Nothing in the decision files says otherwise (a lot of eastern unifications do not exclude the HRE tag).

It was patched out in the 5.2 beta. If you're still playing 5.1 or an early 5.2 beta, you'll be able to.

You'll have to become Christian to become the HRE though. A type of rebel will do this for you. Not zealots.

It was patched out in the 5.2 beta. If you're still playing 5.1 or an early 5.2 beta, you'll be able to.

You'll have to become Christian to become the HRE though. A type of rebel will do this for you. Not zealots.
Which part was patched out, the part where I can't form Mughals with the HRE, or the part where you cannot form a country twice?

Reading through the AAR's, I notice lots of Border friction events popping up. These look yummy to a guy like me. So I want to know:
Is there any way to 'generate' border friction events, or is it pure blind luck?
It would seem logical to me if say a National Focus on a border province, or a large army stationed in a border province, might do the trick?

Speaking of National Focus, I have been somewhat hesitant to actually use it, seeing as how I read that it takes like 25 years before you can move it
again. Stuff like Formalize weights and scales, will it fire in any province with national focus?

Are there many benefits to movig the ational Focus about?

I think low/negative relations help trigger Border Friction events, and high DIP rulers help generate Claims on Our Rivals.

Is moving the capital of an European country to Cuba good? Will America be "distant overseas"?

Hey. I'm play as Oyo and have fully westernized and modernized but still Animist. I want to start taking back Northern Africa and want to switch to Noble Republic. If I switch I lose my only CB. I tried taking Unam Sanctum, but I didn't get any CBs against any non-pagan religions (Christians and Muslims). It's 1557, so holy warring continues apace elsewhere in the world. I thought about becoming an Empire, but I don't know if that gives you a CB and the decision has disappeared on me! Any ideas?

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Forms_of_Government

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Casus_belli

These two links should help.

Border friction events occur when another nation has their national focus effecting provinces that border yours.

The rest of North America won't be distant overseas if your capitol is in Cuba, but most of South America will be. If you can, it's better to put your capitol in Latin America and make sure you have a land connection to your South American provinces.

Border friction events occur when another nation has their national focus effecting provinces that border yours.

The rest of North America won't be distant overseas if your capitol is in Cuba, but most of South America will be. If you can, it's better to put your capitol in Latin America and make sure you have a land connection to your South American provinces.
Latin America, as in North America, you mean ;)

Which part was patched out, the part where I can't form Mughals with the HRE, or the part where you cannot form a country twice?
You can't form Mughals with HRE.

What makes an ally betray you?

For example:

As Austria, I had Hungary as an ally for close to 100 years. We aided each other in dozens of wars, both offensive and defensive on both sides for 100 straight years. We are allied, have a royal marriage, have 200 relations, and have never once failed to come to the other's aid. Now, France and Bulgaria declare war on me and Hungary refuses to help in my defensive war/. they are allied to no one on the opposite faction. After 100 years of having each other's backs; why would they betray me now?

Were they recently in a fight? It may be WE. Do they have a royal marriage or military access with either of those countries? They might not want the stability hit, if so. A lot of weird things can happen with alliances. The only really sure allies, it seems to me, are vassals.

Ah, it was military access. Thanks for that.

Next question:

How do you deal with the Golden Horde?

I just achieved a border with them and we have been at a stalemate for five years. They will not cross my border because I have 30,000 infantry, 20,000 cavalry, my best general, and a defensive bonus waiting on them. I won't cross their border because I will be instantly hit by 10% attrition and get zerged by roughly 130,000 nomads. Should I just continue the stalemate or try something else? It would cost me 53 ducats monthly for tribute and I simply cannot afford to pay that sort of price tag. I could admit defeat, but then I'd be in the same situation in a few years.

That said, it is becoming quite exhausting to keep my military upkeep at max and leaving 65% of my military resources on that border. Every time I lower my maintenance or pull troops from their front for another war, they try to cross and more than once they have managed to push into my territory. just recently I had to pull 16,000 troops from that front to help in my war against Austria and sure enough, the Horde pushed across and I had to retreat my remaining forces on that front to keep from losing 34 complete brigades. It is absolutely tiring at this point.