• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes. Any time you dow a member of the HRE you get a -25 relations with all. This also happens when you diploannex (so -125 to other vassals that are HRE members) or claim a throne. As long as you don't go crazy it's not a big deal as you generally will gain 3+/year with all fellow christians (obviously high infamy changes this).

I see, thanks. And yeah, it's no problem to spam some gifts to raise it back up, thankfully. :)

Playing as Ottomans for the first time and really enjoying the non-european experience.

Only problem I am having at the moment (1475) is these european countries are taking turns declaring holy war on me. First France, then Austria, then England, the Sweeden, then Castile. ALso have Timurids and Golden Horde on my border. I am holding my own and enjoying the combat, but my war exhaustion is starting to get a little ridiculous, as I am constantly at war with someone.

Any way to combat this? have not declared war myself in probably 30 years, but my country is getting little rest.

Thanks for the help.

Hey. I'm play as Oyo and have fully westernized and modernized but still Animist. I want to start taking back Northern Africa and want to switch to Noble Republic. If I switch I lose my only CB. I tried taking Unam Sanctum, but I didn't get any CBs against any non-pagan religions (Christians and Muslims). It's 1557, so holy warring continues apace elsewhere in the world. I thought about becoming an Empire, but I don't know if that gives you a CB and the decision has disappeared on me! Any ideas?

Hi, first of all, I can't find the 'search this thread' button. It seems to be there in the CK2 forum but not here. So forgive me if this is redundant. Is Muscovy considered a 'horde'? the reason I ask is that on the tax screen the war taxes button is greyed out and the tool tip says 'all taxes are war taxes for the horde'. Thanks.

Hi, first of all, I can't find the 'search this thread' button. It seems to be there in the CK2 forum but not here. So forgive me if this is redundant. Is Muscovy considered a 'horde'? the reason I ask is that on the tax screen the war taxes button is greyed out and the tool tip says 'all taxes are war taxes for the horde'. Thanks.
Not normally. Though it is possible for them to become one through them revolting or something.

The search thread button (I actually didn't know we had one until just now) can be found by scrolling up all the way. Then, under the current page number, there should be a "Search Thread" button. Just click it and search.

The "war taxes"-button is grayed out because you are fighting a horde, not because you are one. Since the code prohibiting war taxes in Horde wars are presumably the same for both the horde and it's target, the text "All taxes are war-taxes!" appear for both countries. Essencially, the threat of horde invasions does not constitute a war, but on the other hand, you still have the peace modifier for war exhaustion, which can be really helpful in suviving prolonged conflict. Horde -- or rather "Steppe Nomads" -- is a government type and is thus shown in the same tab as the policy sliders. As you can see for Moscowy, it's a feudal monarchy.

Last edited:
Any way to combat this? have not declared war myself in probably 30 years, but my country is getting little rest.

Thanks for the help.

Make sure you aren't generating attrition by exceeding supply limits except when actually fighting. As long as you aren't fighting a nation with a land border you shouldn't be generating much attrition-let them land a stack, hit it from 2 sides at once and explode it, move your armies back out. You have a lot of provinces with smallish supply limits at start so you need to be careful to not skyrocket your WE. I usually run around with stacks of 4 cav/6 inf as anything larger will leave very little room to maneuver without generating unneeded attrition.

Make sure you aren't generating attrition by exceeding supply limits except when actually fighting. As long as you aren't fighting a nation with a land border you shouldn't be generating much attrition-let them land a stack, hit it from 2 sides at once and explode it, move your armies back out. You have a lot of provinces with smallish supply limits at start so you need to be careful to not skyrocket your WE. I usually run around with stacks of 4 cav/6 inf as anything larger will leave very little room to maneuver without generating unneeded attrition.

Must not have made mysefl clear. I am struggling with war eshaustion, not attrition. WIth no peace, I my war exhaustion is exploding and its casuing lots of rebellions and other issues. That is what I am trying to get a hold of.

Thanks for the help though.

Must not have made mysefl clear. I am struggling with war eshaustion, not attrition. WIth no peace, I my war exhaustion is exploding and its casuing lots of rebellions and other issues. That is what I am trying to get a hold of.

Thanks for the help though.

Attrition is generally the biggest cause of war exhaustion. Being at war doesn't cause war exhaustion in and of itself. You get war exhaustion for fighting battles (based on losses taken, more for losing), implementing war taxes (constant drain), having territory occupied, being blockaded, and attrition from exceeding supply limits. In general the only ones that will apply to OE vs western nations are the first and last with the first being fairly minimal as you aren't constantly fighting and you usually will be winning with few casualties.

Quick question: I'm playing my first game on nprmal difficulty, after a loooooonnng period of learning, and I'm playing as Castille (now Spain)

And I'm now in 1650s and I'm the only country with the Quest for the New World NI, apart from Morea. SO I own the entire Americas and most ofafrica, except like, 5 nhlish provinces.

Is this a bug in the game/in my setting or does the AI sometimes just avoid colonization?

Quick question: I'm playing my first game on nprmal difficulty, after a loooooonnng period of learning, and I'm playing as Castille (now Spain)

And I'm now in 1650s and I'm the only country with the Quest for the New World NI, apart from Morea. SO I own the entire Americas and most ofafrica, except like, 5 nhlish provinces.

Is this a bug in the game/in my setting or does the AI sometimes just avoid colonization?

The AI does not usually vie for dominance of America, but will usually take random chunks out of it. The AI will take QFTNW, but it's main colonization effort will often be centered around colonise/conquer parts you have unveiled since your discoveries spread to the other europeans after 50 years (on normal settings).

Still, if you have not stunted the growth of the western powers, they will usually have spread quite a lot by 1650 -- rather, the Americas should be a patch-work of purple, red, blue and green. Portugal or Spain jumps on South America when their colonial range reaches that far. Someone gobbles up the Native Americans and someone does the same for Zapotec. However, if the player has already conquered every "visable" nation in north america it may very well slow down everyone else. After all, they'll have to establish conventional colonial range over the entirety of the Atlantic. Since you are Spain, South America is not initially colonized by an AI and you are obviously closest to it, by far. Your case isn't typical but it happens. It's not a bug. The AI is just not a perfect colonizer. Also, "lucky nation" sometimes fair better in this regard, but that is mainly due to a more stable home-front.

Added:
I just realised that I don't have that many late saves backed up, but to give you some illustration of the AI's capacity, look at this. Both are taken while playing outside of Europe, letting the AI do it's own thing. In the first, Europe entered a stable phase with the traditional majors taking control. Portugal and Spain moved into the Americas quite early and are soon coring their territory in 1523. They then extended their empire across the continent. In the other case, Europe disintegrated into a free-for-all melee, delaying colonisation until the range phase. Only a few island got colonised by 1590 and America soon became a patchwork of minor nations. In summery, the AI is always late compared to humans and will not partake in "planned" conquest.

AYSqW.png

Last edited:
OK I see :) unusual but normal game then!

Basically Frnace is off the map, and I conquered the entire iberian peninsula before starting colonization, so I guess I was the sole contender? All the french minors are either embroiled in what seems to be the continuation of the 100 tears war, with the UK and Austria releasing nations and re-anneing them every 5 years..... Oh well, this way I can be the sole colonial power and colour the map in beautiful yellow in a peaceful way (except for the poor natives)

What I did is I colonized the Azores, Madeira and such and then lauched 20k troops across the Atlantic and conquered the Zapotec, then the Creek, then the INca (in like, 50 years) which probably helped me lot

Anyway thanks for the answer, I just wanted to know if this was a common occurence, because I'd love to see some colonial wars going on and my gamr is wayyyy too one sided so I guess I will start a new one :)

True but war does remove the peacetime WE reduction bonus.

Yes, but my point was that his war exhaustion problem is not caused by being at war, but by other factors. Losing the reduction bonus is irrelevant if you aren't generating war exhaustion in the first place. An OE vs westerners without borders war should generate a pathetically low amount of war exhaustion for the OE if fought properly. While his coexistant wars with the hordes can be problematic it generally is the case that the two big hordes are too busy to focus on the OE so only send token forces which can also be easily handled without generating a lot of WE. Thus, in most cases, any WE problem given the listed circumstances, is self-inflicted through use of war taxes and/or taking substantial attrition losses.

I have a specific short Holland question:
Utrecht annexed Gelre early on in the game, while I was still under a PU with Hainaut (For some eason, Burgundy put Hainaut in their sphere of influence, and didn't attack. I had to wait for the ruler to die, before I was free to pursue my own wars). Soon after, England was involved in 5 different wars at once, including one with Utrecht and it's allies. So I took the chance, and vassalised Utrecht when I asked England for an Alliance. But Gelre was attached. Now, I can't seem to get the 'incorporate Utrecht into your country' mission. Is this because of the fact that Utrecht still holds Gelre, as my vassal? In effect, can't the mission fire because Gelre would be a part of the bargain as well?
I just aggro vassalised Friesland, and got the mission to incorporate it like, one mission later...