• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm Holland and its 1530, I've sent some 9000 guys on a blind oversea expedition and they have landed on some New World territory filled with that curious little with puffy plant known as cotton. Because its only inhabited by primitives we just seized their land so now Holland with its only 2 continental provinces, owns 7 oversea province in North America. Neither my trade range or colonial range can reach those lands of course. So what will happens now ? Will I still be able to trade cotton from america to Lubec where it says its going ? Should I build a new CoT in the new world ? In Holland ? I don't understand enough the trade mechanisms to clearly see where I'm going.

Yes, trade value of provinces getting to CoTs is not affected by trade range so the listed CoT will get the value of the trade. Trade range only affects where you can send merchants to trade.

It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to build a CoT in the new world (and also move your capital there) although you may have difficulty doing so any time soon. As soon as you leave the Hanseatic League the trade map re-shuffles and it is pretty unlikely the CoT your provinces will land in has enough value to allow a build (you can't build a CoT while in a trade league). A more realistic option would be to find and capture the existing CoT in the new world (it is pretty unlikely there isn't one). This will have a negative impact on your trade chance until the province becomes a core though.

Note that you can't build a CoT in a non-core province so in any case it will take a while for you to be able to do so in the new world. Building one in Holland wouldn't be particularly effective in the long run unless you about-face the sliders and go mercantalist as your free trade setting decreases the chance your provinces will bypass closer CoTs to trade in yours.

As soon as you leave the Hanseatic League the trade map re-shuffles and it is pretty unlikely the CoT your provinces will land in has enough value to allow a build (you can't build a CoT while in a trade league).
Correction - the trade made doesn't re-shuffle as soon as you leave. The trade map only re-shuffles at the end of the month - if you want to use that exploit.

I'm playing as France, what should i have my military stacks at? I've been separating Cavalry and Infantry, doing the hit and run tactic. Is that good as France? (Grand Campaign start)

Is there anyway to get Calais from England? I've never seen Burgundy or France take it from England.

Last edited:
It is usually best to have both separate stacks and combined stacks. When you have at least 4 cavalry units with your infantry, you get a bonus. It is also good to have separate stacks of Cavalry for chasing demoralized units and separate stacks of infantry to help with siege bombing.

That said, taking Calais from England can be a problem if you are playing on anything above Normal difficulty. I normally just ally myself with Burgundy or Castille and then stack my units on the near the strait. The moment England lands, I hit their troops. in early game they can usually only transport 9,000-10,000 men at a time and transporting them reduces their numbers while they are in transit, so your more vast forces can usually take them down as they land on your soil. All you need to do is win the siege of Calais and a few lands battles then sue for peace at around 15%. I believe that is all you need to annex Calais. You never have to even land in England or risk your meager fleet. To be honest, I usually have bigger issues with Portugal because if they are still allied, they usually try to enter my back door in southern France..Thus where the Castille or Burgandy alliance comes in. This is my strategy anyways

Correction - the trade made doesn't re-shuffle as soon as you leave. The trade map only re-shuffles at the end of the month - if you want to use that exploit.

Wrong. The CoT values don't re-calculate until the end of the month, the assigned provinces for each CoT are recalculated as soon as you click leave trade league. Easily proven by loading as England at 1399 start and leaving Hanseatic league before unpausing. London and several other provinces switch from Lubeck to Antwerpen.

Is there a list somewhere of who is/isn't eligible to be the Holy Roman Emperor?

Any christian nation with a male ruler monarchy is eligible in the HRE election. Female monarchs, republics, theocracies, and non-christians are ineligible. I believe, but am not positive, that an excommunicated ruler is ineligible but could easily be wrong about that.

Any christian nation with a male ruler monarchy is eligible in the HRE election. Female monarchs, republics, theocracies, and non-christians are ineligible. I believe, but am not positive, that an excommunicated ruler is ineligible but could easily be wrong about that.

...That is my issue. I keep trying to become the Emperor with Republics. -.- Three games, three nations, all have been ineligible for emperor.

All you need to do is win the siege of Calais and a few lands battles then sue for peace at around 15%. I believe that is all you need to annex Calais. You never have to even land in England or risk your meager fleet. To be honest, I usually have bigger issues with Portugal because if they are still allied, they usually try to enter my back door in southern France..Thus where the Castille or Burgandy alliance comes in. This is my strategy anyways

I Picked Military Drill as my first idea. Is Merchent Adventures event worth it? I have 5 Merchants in Alexandria and Il-de-france, but it seems worthless with the Hanseatic League members kicking me out of every other CoT.. Should I annex or vassalize Portugal? I have military access through Castille and Portugal only has 1 province that I haven't taken in a siege

Why does my CoT earn less? I've taken some provinces that traded in another CoT, now they trade in mine but my CoT still stagnates.

Last edited:
Wrong. The CoT values don't re-calculate until the end of the month, the assigned provinces for each CoT are recalculated as soon as you click leave trade league. Easily proven by loading as England at 1399 start and leaving Hanseatic league before unpausing. London and several other provinces switch from Lubeck to Antwerpen.
You're right. I always thought everything re-calculated at the same time, but apparently I got it wrong.

In the HRE screen, one of the modifiers is Diplomatic skill. What determines the value of this modifier?
Your ruler's diplomacy skill and your country's diplomatic skill bonuses, added together and multiplied by a constant.

Silly questions maybe, but how would I go about it if I want the following (I understand you need to edit some files or use console commands):

1. Change Ming to a normal government thats playable
2. Disable the faction system
3. Release all their vassals as normal countries too

I'd like to very much play as an OPM Ming or one of the three vassals, see

Silly questions maybe, but how would I go about it if I want the following (I understand you need to edit some files or use console commands):

1. Change Ming to a normal government thats playable
2. Disable the faction system
3. Release all their vassals as normal countries too

I'd like to very much play as an OPM Ming or one of the three vassals, see

I don't know if this is enough, but if you comment out four lines in Ming's country file, the faction system will be gone, at least. (There could be other weird side effects - couldn't say.)

Add a "#" to these lines:
#faction = temples
#faction = enuchs
#faction = bureaucrats
#enuchs = 80

Then you could release all of the vassals and cancel the vassalization normally. You could probably do that by editing your save file, too, but I'm not sure how.

A question of my own on war attrition: I'm trying to let my war exhaustion drop to 0 after having let it go too high but there are three nomad remnants on one of my borders. Each time the truce ends, my WE from attrition goes up to around 0.5 per month even though there are no battles and no occupation. This is at about 5 WE. (I have wars to fight in Europe, darn it! :D)

I don't think this happened earlier in the game when I was regularly trouncing them. I could colonize them but I'm not especially interested in those provinces right now and I'd like to know why this is happening, regardless.

A question of my own on war attrition: I'm trying to let my war exhaustion drop to 0 after having let it go too high but there are three nomad remnants on one of my borders. Each time the truce ends, my WE from attrition goes up to around 0.5 per month even though there are no battles and no occupation. This is at about 5 WE. (I have wars to fight in Europe, darn it! :D)

I don't think this happened earlier in the game when I was regularly trouncing them. I could colonize them but I'm not especially interested in those provinces right now and I'd like to know why this is happening, regardless.

You're saying that neither side is moving into the other's lands and your WE is increasing?

Are you sure it isn't due to some other effect such as armies in mild/normal/severe winter provinces taking attrition?

You're saying that neither side is moving into the other's lands and your WE is increasing?

Are you sure it isn't due to some other effect such as armies in mild/normal/severe winter provinces taking attrition?

Pretty much. This is in the big, slow provinces NE of the Caspian right up to the wasteland and I've been taking the Saudi area in the south, too. So you're saying just weather/climate will cause WE as soon as a war starts? I thought if my units were in home provinces, everything would be fine. I'll have to read up on that!

I thought if my units were in home provinces, everything would be fine.
Home provinces have higher support limits but if you go over the limit you still suffer attrition. You may not notice because home provinces also have a high reinforcement rate so your armies may not get any weaker but you're still losing men.

I'm Holland with Utrecht and Friesland as imperial unlawfull territories, got them from diplo-annexation after some randoms wars. For the first time ever since playing EU3, the Emperor is not bothering me, at all, with request to give those territories back to him ! I'm in the empire... It has been almost 40 years now and not a single request. I never tried to have good relations with Bohemia, I dont even know how much our relations are to.

So my question is why doesnt the Emperor request those provinces back ?
Even when playing a France, from far the most powerfull nation in the world, not in the HRE, the Emperor sends requests so I dont get it. I own some colonies in Carribean giving me the +100 points "large nation in the HRE" when it comes to elector's vote.

EDIT: while I'm here, another question, it seems that I inherited Cleves without a PU. Is it possible ? Cleves was a vassal tho.

Both are legit. Let's say about the Emperor...

- Hey, stop messing in my PC desktop!

-So? Don't cry. (As I am being frustrated about that situation)

-KO [eehhh... I mean] OK, I'll take that stupid Mapple and throw it from 5 floor! (As me when I want to conquer HRE lands as HRE country.)

-NO! Sorry, I'll (almost) never do it again!

(I know, my jokes are bad, calling from another name they're biscuits) (I mean "suchar")

About PU...

So You'r son must be indepident, yes...

Last edited: