• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nope, you can't split your own cot, i think.

EDIT: Unless you play some mod. Anyway the value is 800 for divine wind if i recall correctly...

I do play my own mod, but I wouldn't know how to enable such splitting. So it would seem to be possible. (What would you change to enable or disable this?)

I do play my own mod, but I wouldn't know how to enable such splitting. So it would seem to be possible. (What would you change to enable or disable this?)

Dunno i am not kind of men who have enough heart to mod so much to know all such things. I tried to made some modifications, even succeded, but those were very basic ones(decisions, etc.). Like i made GH become astrakhan, and gain 10 base tax in astrakhan(plus astrakhan becoming it capital - now i think 10 base tax is pretty too much, but it was fun seeing AI entact this desicion when i was russia) if it has less than 10 provinces, and does not own certain provinces XD. Or GH unification, and greek unification XD... but i never shared those.

Nope, you can't split your own cot, i think.

EDIT: Unless you play some mod. Anyway the value is 800 for divine wind if i recall correctly...
I play Vanilla and I already split my own CoTs. First I created Havana out of Lisbon, then I created Manhattan out of Havana and then Pampas out of Havana too.

In vanilla, as long as you are not a member of a trade league you can build a CoT in any owned province that trades through a CoT worth 800 or more and is within your national focus area.

If you are a member of a trade league you cannot build a CoT.

In my experience it is generally disadvantageous to split your own CoT as you are much less likely to fully dominate the same value of trade afterwards. The loss in income from trade is generally greater than the gain from the new CoT province, especially if it is located overseas. If you are in dire need of .1 colonist or 1 additional merchant then I suppose it works but that seems to me to be symptomatic of other issues with your nation (although non-christians can certainly have colonist issues).

The advantage is implicit in ANO1453's post. He created new world COTs. Doing so before others do tends to get their colonies to trade through your COT, which is a big advantage, so long as you can keep it.

The advantage is implicit in ANO1453's post. He created new world COTs. Doing so before others do tends to get their colonies to trade through your COT, which is a big advantage, so long as you can keep it.
Actually, I'm the only one in the New World. I just did it because I figured that if I split CoTs, the AI would spam the largest of them and leave the others alone. And it seems to be so.

I was thinking of an older version. When the create CoT feature was first added you could only split from other countries' CoTs. I don't normally use this feature since I have a province decision to create CoTs in my personal mod.

Did they fix that bug already? I stop using mercenaries ages ago, but I remember when you could select the hire mercenary screen in a home province and then switch to an overseas province (I think I even reported a bug for this).
They fixed most of the mercenary and shipbuilding loopholes in 4.1b but it's possible some may remain.
Just an update; I just tested this in 5.2 beta and you can still build mercs overseas like this.

Just an update; I just tested this in 5.2 beta and you can still build mercs overseas like this.

You're right. Unfortunately, it's just the 1st unit in line.

Actually, between the 2 tests you've just reported, IMO there's just one essential left: changing the merc pool. It'd work if there were always 3 units available, the 1st being Infantry, the 2nd Cav, the 3rd Art. That way, the method here wouldn't be a bad feature.

Well what i find lol, is that when you hire mercenaries, they are ALLWAYS of your tech group. I think you should get mercenaries dependant on cores, and actualy cotez did used local mercenaries when fighting aztecs, so wth, why you should be unable to hire them in colonies(unless those are non cores)?

Well what i find lol, is that when you hire mercenaries, they are ALLWAYS of your tech group. I think you should get mercenaries dependant on cores, and actualy cotez did used local mercenaries when fighting aztecs, so wth, why you should be unable to hire them in colonies(unless those are non cores)?
Did Cortez wait 50 years for provinces to core in order to hire mercenaries?

I can think of a couple problems in gameplay coming from mercenaries overseas.

Did Cortez wait 50 years for provinces to core in order to hire mercenaries?

I can think of a couple problems in gameplay coming from mercenaries overseas.

He used aztec cores XD.

EDIT: Anyway this was introduced in one of game patches early, as in the 1.0 i am like almost sure you could hire mercs everywhere(which was good for doing strategy : play navarra, take qfntw, take 1 native province, take loans, make 12 mercs, conquer them - which now is impossible XD)

Anyway i think that mercenaries should just have their tech groups, and not be same tech as your. I am not sure if it isn't so somehow, bcs. i did not checked it realy.

EDIT: And you could build ship in non cored provinces XD

Last edited:
Prevent other nations from creating CoT's nearby that will siphon of your trade/CoT's being auto created

Not really a problem if only your provinces are trading in your CoTs. If you are depending on trade value from other nations in your CoTs you're bound to eventually be disappointed.