• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's in the changelogs for 5.2: Being the emperor prevents you from being annexed.

Johan said:
16th of March
Code:
Code:
- Implemented a system for attaching units to other nations units in the same province. aka, Coalition Armies for MP.
- Fleets not on patrol order will not attempt to intercept enemy fleets when moving and/or carrying troops.
- Intercepting enemy fleets that want to avoid it depends on manuever of leaders and light-ship ratio.
- Armies on ships trying to disembark will stall for as long as the navy is in combat.
- The Sound Toll and the Bosphorus tolls are now more interesting with events and stuff :9
- Non daimyo countries can no longer release daimyo countries.
- When negotiating peace with Japan, it's now valid to take the capital of a daimyo if it's their last province.
- When sending diplomatic offers as the shogun to countries outside of the shogunate, there's a message telling that you're doing this as Japan.
- Some spy activities will now scale in size of the target country instead of being a fixed badboy cost if discovered.
[color=red][b]- It is no longer possible to annex the Emperor of HRE.[/b][/color]

I have two new countries in Personal Union with my empire, but both are at war with other countries.

They don't seem to act aggressively any more. Can they make peace on their own? Or should I use an alliance casus belli to win those wars for them? Or would that even guarantee that those wars stop? Why don't they call me for arms? Or are they clever enough to stay at war in order to escape inheritance?

When you want to dismantle HRE, you have to either ally, vassalize or control the capital of all the electors + the capital of the Emperor.
Is this feat required to be accomplished by a single nation, or can more nations participate in it? Ie. if some capitols will be occupied by me and others by my allies/vassals, can I still dismantle the HRE? Or, if some electors are already vassalized by somebody else, do I need to take ownership of them or can I leave them be?

Anyone allied with you in war with the applicable nations counts towards dismantling the HRE if they occupy the capital. An elector vassalized by someone other than you would still have to be occupied by you (or be subject to a nation allied with you) in the wars against the HRE. In other words, your alliance must include or occupy all electors and occupy the emperor's capital.

And yes, being the current emperor of the HRE prevents a nation from being annexed. If you want to annex such a nation you have to either dismantle the empire or wait until they are no longer emperor.

I have two new countries in Personal Union with my empire, but both are at war with other countries.

They don't seem to act aggressively any more. Can they make peace on their own? Or should I use an alliance casus belli to win those wars for them? Or would that even guarantee that those wars stop? Why don't they call me for arms? Or are they clever enough to stay at war in order to escape inheritance?
If they were at war at the time they entered the union I'm pretty sure they can't make peace at all. Only their overlord can make peace which you obviously can't do if you aren't in the same war with them. Basically it's a situation the game isn't really designed to handle.

Are early artillery units worth building? I have large cast cannons I think it is, I built a few and stuck them to one of my regular armies, just wondering if it was a waste. They don't slow the army down anymore do they?

Are early artillery units worth building? I have large cast cannons I think it is, I built a few and stuck them to one of my regular armies, just wondering if it was a waste. They don't slow the army down anymore do they?
Although they don't slow the army down in 5.2 the usual advice is probably still best; one artillery for every infantry regiment plus a couple of cavalry for the extra flank attacks (assuming you have more non-artillery units than the enemy army). If the arty is worth using at all you use as much as possible.

If they were at war at the time they entered the union I'm pretty sure they can't make peace at all. Only their overlord can make peace which you obviously can't do if you aren't in the same war with them. Basically it's a situation the game isn't really designed to handle.

One I could have avoided probably if I had known it, by waiting with my peace until the other war stopped.

But the other was a spontaneous event, their king (Kahn actually) died, and they entered the PU while at war.

Maybe I can completely eliminate their enemies?

I think the obvious design change should be that they call their overlord to arms automatically in this situation.

Is their something I'm missing with the Kingdom of God decision http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Declare_the_Kingdom_of_God

Surely for most peoples papal states games they will have almost full control of the curia in which case the infamy reduction and prestige boost will be changed to a very meagre replacement.

The tax boost is ok and the extra magistrates would be useful but it just doesn't seem worth it.

If this is the popes alternative to forming Italy then its not that great.

My question is if I am missing something or whether it is generally agreed that the decision is bad.

Things have moved on, and I have seen that one minor partner in the PU was able to make peace on its own. It accepted a white peace from its enemy.

For the other one I annexed the opposing war leader, so that problem went away.

I also saw that I did not ally those two minor partners explicitly, so maybe they would have called for help if I had done so while they were still at war.

I'm trying a game as japan and WTF is going on with the infamy and war requirements?! I try and take a province it requires 42 warscore, for one piece of land. I go to anex +48 infamy if you do this. I cant be alone in thinking this is utterly crazy.

Sorry if it was asked again, but:

1) Can I have a Personal Union with absolutely any nation that is a monarchy, or this depends on its culture, religion, etc. similar to mine?
2) Is there any chance to enter in a PU just by having a RM and do nothing?

1. As Castios said you need a RM to PU, so therefore they can't be heathens.
2. Yes, but it's pretty slim. :) happens rarely

If you are allied in the same war they can't make peace, if you aren't involved in the war they can. The true mess comes when they are the war leader and allied with you when a PU occurs. At that point you have no option but to peace out, leaving your vassals hanging in the wind, for the war to get ended by the new junior.