• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why are transports allowed to drop off troops at their target destination even after being routed? I'm getting really sick of 13000 Scandinavian troops obliterating my siege armies in Scotland because I intercepted their navy in the North Sea and they continue sailing unopposed - and unopposable! - into their ally Scotland's territory. Shouldn't they have to return to their home ports?

I just recently got EU3 (Chronicles). I'm playing my first real game with Denmark, but now something odd happened. I tried my best to keep the personal unions with Sweden and Norway intact, I had relations over 100 with both, but now that my first king died both countries left the personal union. Why is that? I thought they'd only leave if we had poor relations. What have I missed?

Did you have negative legitimacy or prestige? Are you certain that you had positive relations at the exact moment your king died?

Does the AI just get automatic better luck in battles? I'm playing as Austria and got in a big war with Austria who was allied to Switzerland who had a core on Tirol and tried to take it. The Burgundians had a much larger army but 2/3s of it were cavalry, so they should have had a penalty no? But every battle unless I massively outnumbered them they would massacre my troops and then be faster than my routing army. They destroyed 60 regiments before I finally managed to convince a large Bohemia to ally me and we marched in around from the North taking Brandenburg and such, but still they kept getting ridiculous casualty rates against my armies and chasing them around to instant destruction. I'm playing on normal, am slightly to quality, have military drill, a 8 mil skill king compared to their 6 skill, and worst of all I'm land tech 11 while they're still 9. I mean a few battles in Switzerland went a weird way where I would do massive casualties but lose(like a 30k vs 35k battle, I would lose but only have like 3k casualties total while Burg would lose 5k each inf and cav) Just don't get it.

Also, do buildings get destroyed on conquest in DW?

Burgundy start with extremely good sliders for direct warfare and you should only meet them on the field of battle when outnumbering them 5:2 and if possible with defensive bonuses (as a rule of thumb, of course, you might also have good land battle sliders going, depending on nations) Another tactic is to wait for them to assault a fort and rush in a large army from nearby provinces (you must have one province between you and their siege for them to attempt an assault) This will increase the probability you will rout them due to morale - if you have a high Maneuvre rating on your general, you have a decent shot at wiping their army out when they reach their destination. If you are fighting in Switzerland, make sure you are on the defensive, as hilly terrain is punishing for attackers and cavalry.

Also, the military rating of the ruler is an indication over how good a general he might become if you chose that option, and not much else (in warfare). It doesnt help you in battles unless you have him as general. Early game, Shock and depending on playstyle, Mobility are key stats.

Why are transports allowed to drop off troops at their target destination even after being routed? I'm getting really sick of 13000 Scandinavian troops obliterating my siege armies in Scotland because I intercepted their navy in the North Sea and they continue sailing unopposed - and unopposable! - into their ally Scotland's territory. Shouldn't they have to return to their home ports?

When beaten, a fleet will head to the nearest friendly port. Strictly speaking, this means they aren't continuing their mission; however, if their original target is the closest, from the point of battle, the distinction is academic. I raised this in one of the feedback threads for 5.2, but it is not going to change, per Johan.

How do you quickly find the capital of a large empire?

(I have been spending a lot of time searching for the capital of Persia, and the Fog of War doesn't make it any easier to find).

Go to the ledger screen (the little graph-like button on the bottom right of the screen), sort countries alphabetically then click on the word "Persia".

Very much so. It's on plain view in the beta forum. :)
Some people can't access the beta forum though, such as those who are "on probation".

When you want to dismantle HRE, you have to either ally, vassalize or control the capital of all the electors + the capital of the Emperor.
Is this feat required to be accomplished by a single nation, or can more nations participate in it? Ie. if some capitols will be occupied by me and others by my allies/vassals, can I still dismantle the HRE? Or, if some electors are already vassalized by somebody else, do I need to take ownership of them or can I leave them be?

What is a succession game?

Well something strange happened. There i was playing my own mod, and all of a sudden out of nowhere i get this mission to annex Bohemia. So im all merry about it, and i proceed to kick some Czech butts, which naturally, goes exactly as i planned, and then i reach the point where i enforce peace demands. So, Bohemia owned 10 provinces + it had 5 Silesian vassals. My war score was 100% (everything occupied) and my total war cost for annexation was like 146% or whatever, so i couldnt take it all in just one go, Bohemia was reduced to 2 province minor + 5 vassals. Anyway, as soon as i peace out Poland and Maissen attach Bohemia, kick its butt, and force it to release Sorbia, effectively leaving it as one province minor (Prague) + 5 vassals. In the middle of that war i get scared so attack them despite truce, occupy everything again, only to find out to my astonishment that i cant annex Bohemia. Im thinking "well maybe its some kind of vassal thing", so i make them cancel all vassals which effectively reduces Bohemia to a OPM. Then i attack them again despite truce, and occupy their only province, and i still cant annex them.

So, since i checked, double checked and triple checked - there are no ghost provinces - the only other explanation that i can think of, is that being emperor prevents them from being annexed.

I am running version 5.2 and i would appreciate if someone could give me a definitive answer.

the only other explanation that i can think of, is that being emperor prevents them from being annexed.
I have seen several other posts indicating the same thing.

So, since i checked, double checked and triple checked - there are no ghost provinces - the only other explanation that i can think of, is that being emperor prevents them from being annexed.

I am running version 5.2 and i would appreciate if someone could give me a definitive answer.

I have seen several other posts indicating the same thing.

I did some search but could not find any hard proof that being Empror prevents the country from being annexed - however there are multiple cases where people state this so there must be something behind it. maybe it's a "hidden feature" or something like that.