• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do anybody know that if im in the middle of a savegame and I add a event or desion or new country to form will i get thouhgs events and destion sin the game still?

Yes, yes it should work. I have done this before. My change was adding an event to form the Roman Empire as Byzantium, after a good 200 years into the campaign. It worked just fine for me, so unless you build your event based on other events or a date that has already passed, you should not have a problem.

Give a list of what ends in 1650 (I heard a lot of stuff does). Is the Cleansing of Heresy CB one of them?

Give a list of what ends in 1650 (I heard a lot of stuff does). Is the Cleansing of Heresy CB one of them?
I had a Cleansing of Heresy CB in later than that, playing as Poland.

The only thing that I know of which ends in 1650 is the crusades.
Well, I'm also pretty sure other religious stuff, like enforcing religious unity and excommunication, also end in 1650, and was wondering if something else that I was missing does.

Well, I'm also pretty sure other religious stuff, like enforcing religious unity and excommunication, also end in 1650, and was wondering if something else that I was missing does.

Hm... that would probably explain why, as Emperor, I could not enforce religious unity on anybody. The option wasn't even there. I assumed it was an event after that.

As for excommunication, I can say with certainty it ends at the same time the crusades do.

hi, im getting a but sick of my navies getting owned by inferior forces. Whay is the optimum number of ships?

All big ships, full force limit. This tends not to fail. And try to stay modern. If you still have ships from 1400 in your 1700 fleet, you need to scuttle them and commission new hulls. I generally tend to keep the same fleet forever, and when I lose ships from it I replace them as they are lost.

All big ships, full force limit. This tends not to fail. And try to stay modern. If you still have ships from 1400 in your 1700 fleet, you need to scuttle them and commission new hulls. I generally tend to keep the same fleet forever, and when I lose ships from it I replace them as they are lost.
That is quite far from the truth I would say...

5000 cannons is what you want to aim for if you want the strongest fleet possible. And it's not bad to have quite a few of them on light ships.

That is quite far from the truth I would say...

5000 cannons is what you want to aim for if you want the strongest fleet possible. And it's not bad to have quite a few of them on light ships.
I h=just had 38 carracks get owned by 23 from Porugal. Is that just bad luck? I had a kick ass admiral and the same tech.

I h=just had 38 carracks get owned by 23 from Porugal. Is that just bad luck? I had a kick ass admiral and the same tech.
Were all your ships modern (like, were you creating new ships as you tech'd up, so as to not have carracks in 1700)? Did they have a butt load of light ships, galleys and transports? Did you have horrible dice rolls? Were your morale or strengths bad?

What I generally do (if I can afford it), is all big ships and transports.

Ok, I'm at war with Milan. I have them at 100% war score and am just wearing them down untill I can get the score for Vassalize to drop down to 100%. I hit the end of the year and it automaticly white peaces. I am the leader of the war noone else can end it, it just auto ends the war, WTF is going on.

If you don't fight the enemy it will automatically white peace after I believe 2 years. Fighting them would be defined as any battle between armies, navies, defending a siege, or sieging a province.

HOI has some rules that make small ships necessary in battle, is there something similar in EU?

..If you still have ships from 1400 in your 1700 fleet, you need to scuttle them and commission new hulls.
Why? I can only make ships so fast and so until I start hitting my force limits I still need the warm bodies. They still fight at the current tech and as long as they are from the province with upgraded ports their maintenance will drop.

...And it's not bad to have quite a few of them on light ships.
Why? I find that light ships tend to get mauled in battle.

..., I'm also pretty sure other religious stuff, like enforcing religious unity and excommunication, also end in 1650, ...
Does all this stuff crap out on that date arbitrarily or it requires some condition? There's certainly no notice except when you look for your toys and they're gone.

Last edited:
1. Light ships do seem to increase the # of captures, assuming they survive until the end. They also help your positioning values.

2. The prime factor in positioning, by far, is the # of guns. However, Admiral maneuver, and the ships' maneuver values do make a difference.

3. The real answer is to play 5.2b. Johan has immensely improved naval combat:

a. Ships no longer gang up, with all the ships firing on a few of the enemy. This leads to fewer sinkings, and more damaged ships at the end.
b. Ships are more likely to fire at their own kind (that is, Big v Big, not Caravel vs Caravel). This too has the above effect.
c. Ships are no longer sunk just because the fleet routed.
d. The 3 factors above make for much better results; a few more captures, and many ships damaged on both sides. There are far more survivors.

Try it. It's about 6000x better than 5.1, or any earlier version.

Does all this stuff crap out on that date arbitrarily or it requires some condition? There's certainly no notice except when you look for your toys and they're gone.
It all "craps out" on that date arbitrarily. No conditions, no warnings, nothing at all. I know, the feeling's awkward when you first discover this occurring.

I got a Q about westernizing. I'm playing venice and I border all of the native american tribes. I have more then enough tech for them to westernize but I'v noticed they havent. I decided to tag over and look and it says that they dont have someone bordering them with the correct tech group... whats going on here?