• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Humm, sorry to bother with a new question, but it's the last one (for today, of course :p )
I'm in war against Great Britain, I've occupied 6 provinces of them in Scandinavia, have lots of won battles, 26% of victory, but they refuse to negotiate peace. I would settle for a province where I have a core that values 1%, but they refuse it. When I'm the one proposing, they wouldn't even accept white peace, although they do propose white peace to me from time to time. But I don't want to accept it, it doesn't fell right. Every time they refuse, they get -1 in stability, but they are already in -3, and Ireland is full of revolts, but they still don't accept to give me something.

Meanwhile my war exhaustion in killing me. Will have I to settle with a white peace?? It's very unfair, I wasted all my money in a defensive war that I won, and I can't get sh*t!
Usually, occupying their capital will cause them to capitulate, assuming that they're not still fielding a large army that can recapture it quickly. Great Britain is one of the toughest nations to assail, given their naval dominance, but if their situation is deteriorating and their war capacity is low, it might be possible. Once you break them, they'll basically give you anything you want. It's a very fine line: one month they're still holding out, and the next month they'll cave completely. Personally, I think they're just designed to give the human player a hard time, because they'll usually risk annihilation before giving in. This becomes more apparent on the hardest difficulties.

If the war has reached a stalemate, then you should be able to bring your war exhaustion down, provided that you're not taking much attrition.

When I release a vassal, what will its state religion be?

I assume when all provinces are the same religion that will be it, but what a about a country with several religions?

When you release a vassal it gets your state religion. Unfortunately, it also seems that it will do nothing to correct the provinces that aren't that religion. At least it's been that way in my current game-had Adal vassalized for a good 100 years and they didn't convert 1 province to the state religion-or even put out a missionary. Also, Haasa has been a vassal for a good 55 years with a similar lack of missionary activity.

When you force another nation to release a nation it generally gets the religion of the capital province but not always.

Humm, sorry to bother with a new question, but it's the last one (for today, of course :p )
I'm in war against Great Britain, I've occupied 6 provinces of them in Scandinavia, have lots of won battles, 26% of victory, but they refuse to negotiate peace. I would settle for a province where I have a core that values 1%, but they refuse it. When I'm the one proposing, they wouldn't even accept white peace, although they do propose white peace to me from time to time. But I don't want to accept it, it doesn't fell right. Every time they refuse, they get -1 in stability, but they are already in -3, and Ireland is full of revolts, but they still don't accept to give me something.

Meanwhile my war exhaustion in killing me. Will have I to settle with a white peace?? It's very unfair, I wasted all my money in a defensive war that I won, and I can't get sh*t!

If they have -3 stability and you propose a peace offer that has the (this is better than they can expect) type message they have to accept it, it's hard-coded that way. Otherwise, do what you can to reduce your war exhaustion. As mgoblue said, if you aren't actively attacking their lands you need to get rid of your attrition and turn off war taxes and such. If you have high war exhaustion it negatively affects your war capacity, making the ai think it has a better chance to win. Also, if you get your we below 5 and theirs is >15 there is an event that causes occupied provinces to defect for 1 infamy that can fire (mtth is kind of long though).

If they have -3 stability and you propose a peace offer that has the (this is better than they can expect) type message they have to accept it, it's hard-coded that way. Otherwise, do what you can to reduce your war exhaustion. As mgoblue said, if you aren't actively attacking their lands you need to get rid of your attrition and turn off war taxes and such. If you have high war exhaustion it negatively affects your war capacity, making the ai think it has a better chance to win. Also, if you get your we below 5 and theirs is >15 there is an event that causes occupied provinces to defect for 1 infamy that can fire (mtth is kind of long though).
It seems that the AI doesn't know how to do this though...

Usually, occupying their capital will cause them to capitulate, assuming that they're not still fielding a large army that can recapture it quickly. Great Britain is one of the toughest nations to assail, given their naval dominance, but if their situation is deteriorating and their war capacity is low, it might be possible. Once you break them, they'll basically give you anything you want. It's a very fine line: one month they're still holding out, and the next month they'll cave completely. Personally, I think they're just designed to give the human player a hard time, because they'll usually risk annihilation before giving in. This becomes more apparent on the hardest difficulties.

If the war has reached a stalemate, then you should be able to bring your war exhaustion down, provided that you're not taking much attrition.

No way I can occupy their capital. I have almost no navy, while they probably have one of the stronger navies in the world. I didn't even wanted to fight them, they were the ones to declare war, because they somehow got a core in a Scandinavia province of mine that in the start of the game belongs to no one, and I have colonized it.
I can't bring down WE, even with war taxes not being raised, because of revolts in my own country. I have westernized, and I have more men fighting the revolts in the country than fighting Great Britain itself. Novgorod is huge, and stability is hard to get, even with lots of churches. And about Artists, well... westernize has cost the life of 5 or 6 of them! It's unbelievable, looks almost some kind of bug. Even when I gain a stability point, it some random event just brings it down.

If they have -3 stability and you propose a peace offer that has the type message they have to accept it, it's hard-coded that way. Otherwise, do what you can to reduce your war exhaustion. As mgoblue said, if you aren't actively attacking their lands you need to get rid of your attrition and turn off war taxes and such. If you have high war exhaustion it negatively affects your war capacity, making the ai think it has a better chance to win. Also, if you get your we below 5 and theirs is >15 there is an event that causes occupied provinces to defect for 1 infamy that can fire (mtth is kind of long though).
Maybe you are right. I think they hit -3 stability in the last propose, yesterday. I'll try to get my province now, that they are with -3. Still, is unfair because it's a very limited margin to negotiate if it has to appear that thing of "(this is better than they can expect)". It's not my fault that if they have more men, they don't bring them...

Another one:
The events against Westernize last for how long?

Maybe you are right. I think they hit -3 stability in the last propose, yesterday. I'll try to get my province now, that they are with -3. Still, is unfair because it's a very limited margin to negotiate if it has to appear that thing of "(this is better than they can expect)". It's not my fault that if they have more men, they don't bring them...
This is one of the reasons why I was pumped up for Magna Mundi the Game. In it, their was a system where you could enforce claims on provinces that you have captured and held for a long time.
Another one:
The events against Westernize last for how long?
Until you modernize your military. You can get "Resist Westernization" to stop the events for a couple of years, but you can't modernize the military for as long.

You can sometimes sneak troops into Britain without engaging their navy (I've managed to do so several times in the past). Without a navy of your own, however, it's probably not a tenable strategy, especially if they have more than 20k or 30k men stationed in Britain. If their war capacity is really low and they're still not capitulating, and you are unable to deal a decisive blow, then you may have to settle for a white peace. I'm not an expert on how exactly the AI decides whether to give into player demands, so you may want to wait for other opinions on the subject.

Anyway, you should be able to control war exhaustion even with rebellions, though it may be extremely difficult if you're still taking unneeded attrition or your ruler's administrative rating is low.

The events against westernization continue indefinitely until you either modernize your military or select the resist western influences option. That's easily the worst part about the westernization process.

Another comment- if you can manage to get your troops on your ships and sail it to an adjacent seazone to England, you can drop your troops off while in combat with the English. So make sure to get plenty of troops, so you can win against the troops they have there (and against attrition.)

Thank you guys!

I finally managed to get peace. My percentage of victory (or whatever it's called) rose to 30% somehow, and then they accepted to negotiate normally. I got a deal that worthed more than the points I had, actually.

Does it worth to change from merchant republic to administrative republic, and to lose every trade centers and my trade league? Probably not, I guess. I get + 0.60 of magistrates, but doesn't really worth it, I guess.

Well i think merchant republic is crappy, so if i were novgorod, i would dissolve novgorod as a COT, to lose merchant republic status, and then conquer muscowy, and do a COT there...

I've a COT in Novgorod and other in Astrakhan, and I can create a new one because Astrakhan values more than 800k. I already got Muscovy, btw.
I would lose a lot of trade stations, that give a nice permanent modifier.

But I didn't get why would you move the COT from Novgorod to Muscovy...

Basically moving from merchant republic to something else opens up a lot of future changes to even more advanced forms of government. The first change might not be worth it, but the later ones could be.

Alright, I am confused as hell so I'm going to bring my problem to the general forum, here. In short, I've been trying to play as a republic for a while now. But in every single instance, the republic option is consistently greyed out, for reasons that I just can't seem to find in the game files. What are the parameters for greying a government out and how can I fix it for myself?

Miscmods .799 on top of Patch .51, by the way.

EDIT: I just discovered something interesting. I tried opening up some nations in the Spanish Succession scenario and no republics were greyed out. So what in blazes is different about my French Grand Campaign start and the SS scenario nations? This is pissing me off . . .

Last edited:
In wanting of doing a little exploration, I was wondering; is there an easy way (such as a custom event) to dismantle the Holy Roman Empire from the onset of the game? Preferably in a way where it's not so by default, as the rest of my games will naturally want the HRE intact.

Another question -- is there a way to disable the female disqualification of Holy Roman Emperors?

And do these questions need to be in the modding subforum, or is this appropriate enough?

Alright, I am confused as hell so I'm going to bring my problem to the general forum, here. In short, I've been trying to play as a republic for a while now. But in every single instance, the republic option is consistently greyed out, for reasons that I just can't seem to find in the game files. What are the parameters for greying a government out and how can I fix it for myself?

Miscmods .799 on top of Patch .51, by the way.

EDIT: I just discovered something interesting. I tried opening up some nations in the Spanish Succession scenario and no republics were greyed out. So what in blazes is different about my French Grand Campaign start and the SS scenario nations? This is pissing me off . . .

There are certain paths you can take to certain government types. I'm not sure if this chart is up to date, but at least it gives the general idea: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?361104-IN-government-conversion-chart

I'm quite aware of the different paths. Nevertheless, when I switch from my current gov (Imperial Government 1 of Miscmods (which is actually no different from the Empire in the base game)) to an Admin Monarchy, Admin Republic is greyed out.