• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Don't let another nation take leadership of the war. If you are a European power, by the time you reach Japan you should have technology superior enough to destroy all of the islands' defenses without the help of allies. If you really do need alliance help to overtake the islands, try to bring in only nations weaker than yourself; a stronger nation will usually take leadership of the war.

I believe that in DW the Shogunate system may do something odd regarding infamy, so you might want to dismantle the Shogunate before actually annexing territory. Not entirely sure how that works, as I have yet to invade Japan or play as a Daimyo.

I phrased this poorly, I meant an ally of Japan assumes leadership, and I can't access negotiation options for anyone except the leader. If I negotiate with the single province Japan, I can't actually take any provinces, and I can't negotiate with the larger states.

I phrased this poorly, I meant an ally of Japan assumes leadership, and I can't access negotiation options for anyone except the leader. If I negotiate with the single province Japan, I can't actually take any provinces, and I can't negotiate with the larger states.

Not sure how Japan works, again, but in any other situation you should be able to demand what you want from the war leader. I went to war with Bohemia, and the Tuetonic Order took control of the war. I was able to demand Bohemian provinces from the Teutons. I would suggest dismantling the Shogunate (supposedly possible only if you occupy all the Daimyo capitals, and OPM Japan), and then trying another war to actually take provinces.

Hey. I'm playing as an HRE member for the first time, Frankfurt. I've vassalized two electors and currently have 200 relations with them. Yet, they aren't voting for me to become the Emperor and I don't know why. Is it because Frankfurt is a republic? Is it because I currently hold two unlawful territories? Is it because I'm currently in the same war that caused me to vassalize them? Is there something specific I need to do to become eligible to be emperor?

On a related note, if I wanted to form Germany, I would have to do that using territories I conquer and not simply having vassals that contain the necessary territories, correct? Thanks in advance!

Hey. I'm playing as an HRE member for the first time, Frankfurt. I've vassalized two electors and currently have 200 relations with them. Yet, they aren't voting for me to become the Emperor and I don't know why. Is it because Frankfurt is a republic? Is it because I currently hold two unlawful territories? Is it because I'm currently in the same war that caused me to vassalize them? Is there something specific I need to do to become eligible to be emperor?

It sounds to me like you have not waited long enough. Electors check their voting values every month or so. I don't think I've ever seen one take more than two or three months to change its mind. Wait for a little while, and they should change their vote to you. If not, check their values, and see if some other nation has something that you don't. Sometimes even a vassal will vote for somebody else due to low relations with their master. But that isn't the case with you, so they should vote in your favor soon enough.

edit: as my colleague Swistaczek mentions, republics cannot be voted as the Emperor. Maybe Noble Republics. Not sure on that one yet.

On a related note, if I wanted to form Germany, I would have to do that using territories I conquer and not simply having vassals that contain the necessary territories, correct? Thanks in advance!

You must control the territories, yes, and you have to have a core on them too.

Last edited:
Is there any way to know with certainty that I've found all the COTs in the world? I've just spent the last decade patrolling the interior of China and India to find Hanyang and Bihar, respectively, and I'm in the mood for more exploration, but not simply for its own sake.

Is there any way to know with certainty that I've found all the COTs in the world? I've just spent the last decade patrolling the interior of China and India to find Hanyang and Bihar, respectively, and I'm in the mood for more exploration, but not simply for its own sake.

Check in the statistics, then, there gonna be a page with COT's, and here you are! Just compare with the map.

EDIT: As president_Eden says, I though that I see, even undiscovered...

Last edited:
Check in the statistics, then, there gonna be a page with COT's, and here you are! Just compare with the map.
Not quite - the COT ledger page only shows the COTs you've found, and while comparing with the Trade map can certainly help locate some new COTs, that's only going to find coastal ones/ones with coastal provinces tied to them. It gets me *close*, definitely, but not all the way.

That said, I did figure out a method close to this, and I'll share for anyone interested in the answer to that question. If you scroll a couple of pages over in the ledge from the COT page, you'll find the strategic goods, which will list your market share in each of them. If it's not 100%, you're not trading in all the COTs of the world. Hovering over the ones which are not 100% will show you the breakdown of a good in all COTs in the world - known *and* unknown to you! So if you see a new one in there, you can try to look for it and find it.

Why can't I follow a retreating navy?

Why can't I follow a retreating navy?

You cannot intercept a retreating navy until it reaches port, and sallies forth again. Actually, this applies to armies, except that they retreat to a land province, whichis normally the adjacent one. But try, with one of your armies, to retreat before the battle is over, and click a distant destination. Your army will continue its retreat until it gets there, and it too cannot be intercepted.

You cannot intercept a retreating navy until it reaches port, and sallies forth again. Actually, this applies to armies, except that they retreat to a land province, whichis normally the adjacent one. But try, with one of your armies, to retreat before the battle is over, and click a distant destination. Your army will continue its retreat until it gets there, and it too cannot be intercepted.

This is so incredibly helpful! Thanks!

Pretty sure they can't. You have to be a monarchy to be eligible for the vote. Once you get all but the last 2 reforms passed you can switch to a republican government and remain emperor but you cannot be elected.

Hm, that probably explains it. I could have sworn that I was playing a republic of some sort the first time I united the HRE.

How exactly does the deleting of the map cache work? I've never actually done it before and I don't want to screw anything up. So, basically, do I delete everything in the cache? Or are there certain parts that I need to leave?

How exactly does the deleting of the map cache work? I've never actually done it before and I don't want to screw anything up. So, basically, do I delete everything in the cache? Or are there certain parts that I need to leave?

Delete everything inside the cache folder. I myself have deleted the folder itself without any negative repercussions, but I have been told that doing such a thing is not wise. Either way, deleting the contents of the map cache will not mess up anything in your game or game files. A new map cache will be produced the next time you run the game.

If I would like to conquer world, what is best country in Europe (except France, Muscovy, England)?

And... is it effective to reform government as khanate when I'm playing as Qara Koyunlu? I'm strong enough to defend myself, but like diplomacy; is better be as khanate, or change to despotic monarchy?

Last edited:
Does modding achievements affect the checksum? If so, why even bother making them moddable?:wacko:

Does modding achievements affect the checksum? If so, why even bother making them moddable?:wacko:
Do you mean editing them (in common)? Or just installing mods? Because when You'r playing on mods, they'l won't work.