• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can't recruit admirals, generals, etc. Why?

I Have the gold and the tradition for both but there is no option, not even for conquistadors and explorers

If you choose the "event" option, you lose the ability to recruit. And there are no events given in vanilla, so it's either/or. You have to either make your own, or use ones from an existing mod. Rex Maris, Death and Taxes, and Terra Nova, all have leader-generating events. You don't have to adopt the entire mod; just DL it and copy the appropriate events to your mod folder. (Also include the event modifiers, as they mostly are involved in making the events work, plus the localisations.)

Actually, I know that my events and Darken's are compatible with the standard leader-hiring methods. And I'm 99.9% certain lukew's are too.

If you don't want to use a mod, then your choice of "by event" is the worst possible, as it is equivalent to saying "no leaders, period." If that's what you've done, edit the save back to the normal option, or restart.

So like playing as Japan I don't need to discover Europe?

To westernise fully to the latin tech group you will need to have a province that borders one owned by a nation in the latin tech group. There is no rule about where (or how) such a situation exists, just that it does. Generally this will mean you have discovered at least one european province (the capital of the nation you border) but you don't need to have actually discovered a route to Europe, no.

Starting in the Oriental group there are 2 earlier steps in westernising (to muslim and eastern tech groups) with similar requirements. A latin neighbor will allow all 3 steps, eastern allows 2, muslim will only allow the first step. As an example, in my Ethiopia game I started with a border with the Mamluks (muslim tech) which allowed me to do the first step of westernising. I then got a border with Sardinia which allowed the last 2 steps. Military modernisation can be done at each stage, upgrading to that tech group's units, or all at once after you have reached the final tech group. It is generally better to modernise all at the end as the cost and requirements are pretty steep.

Can someone explain trade again, a bit?

Do I get trade income even if I have no merchants?

In other words, do my products like fish and copper generate any income or are they merely all shuffled off to the Center of Trade, where all the income is up for grabs for the merchants that are competing there?

Can someone explain trade again, a bit?

Do I get trade income even if I have no merchants?

In other words, do my products like fish and copper generate any income or are they merely all shuffled off to the Center of Trade, where all the income is up for grabs for the merchants that are competing there?

Your products produce production income, not trade income. Trade income solely relies on merchants competing.

Edit: Ugh.. so many uses of the root word 'produce'... but I'm too lazy to use synonyms.

When a building increases trade income... then that merely increases the amount of trade good that goes to a Center of Trade? So if you are not competing in that center of trade, building such buildings would be useless, correct?

When a building increases trade income... then that merely increases the amount of trade good that goes to a Center of Trade? So if you are not competing in that center of trade, building such buildings would be useless, correct?
Trade income modifiers affect the trade value of the province; the trade value of the province is both the value contributed to the CoT and the basis for the production value of the province. So trade buildings are useful even if you aren't trading. Even the Customs House that modifies trade efficiency instead of trade income is useful since toll income is based on TE (although you certainly should be trading by the time you can build them).

Trade income modifiers affect the trade value of the province; the trade value of the province is both the value contributed to the CoT and the basis for the production value of the province. So trade buildings are useful even if you aren't trading. Even the Customs House that modifies trade efficiency instead of trade income is useful since toll income is based on TE (although you certainly should be trading by the time you can build them).

Except in gold provinces as gold production is not modified by the various modifiers. Trade buildings can still be useful to build in those provinces for their other effects though (demand modifiers, speed bonus for roads, global trade modifiers for post office & custom house).

Does mercantilism actually improve your compete chance in your own centers of trade? I thought it did, but I keep hovering over the tooltip for my compete chance against different countries and see nothing indicating a boost from mercantilism (just the normal penalty to compete chance with mercantilism).

Do you have historical leaders on?

No, he explicitly said he had it on "by event", not historical. Same result, of course.

You get a boost to compete chance based off how much of the trade value of the CoT comes from provinces you own. Mercantilism increases how much you get from this and free trade reduces it.

Except in gold provinces as gold production is not modified by the various modifiers.
Well yes but gold is not really "production" either nor does it contribute to a CoT. Gold has no trade value to modify.

How do I get rid of my king quickly? He is a 4/3/3. His son is 7/7/8. When the heir was 15 years old, I made the king a general, put him in a regiment on a boat, and let it sink in the North Sea. He survived that, and somehow got back home to continue his horrible rule. Seven HRE emperors later (Yeah, Austrian kings have the lifespan of a gnat and yet mine lives forever), I sent him into Golden Horde territory with a single regiment. He returned home yet again. Now my heir is 30. I am afraid he will die of old age before his father does.

How do I get rid of this guy!? Or at least increase the chances of him dying naturally?

Make him a general, have him sit in a stack large enough to take attrition, it seems to work much better for me.

So can someone copy the westernisation file please very, very much? It seems I'm to messing up with this...:eek:o

Thanks already.

Just do these steps if You'r interested:

1) Click at EU III DW or Complete icon, then press the right mouse button, and click "Open file location"
2) Next, find the Decisions folder, then, there is Westernisation. Then, You can add Attachment or just paste into the post.

THANK YOU for reading!

Last edited:
How do I get rid of my king quickly? He is a 4/3/3. His son is 7/7/8. When the heir was 15 years old, I made the king a general, put him in a regiment on a boat, and let it sink in the North Sea. He survived that, and somehow got back home to continue his horrible rule. Seven HRE emperors later (Yeah, Austrian kings have the lifespan of a gnat and yet mine lives forever), I sent him into Golden Horde territory with a single regiment. He returned home yet again. Now my heir is 30. I am afraid he will die of old age before his father does.

How do I get rid of this guy!? Or at least increase the chances of him dying naturally?

Event 9451 - Son dies
Event 9457 - You find a child
Event 9462 - Bureaucrats are taking the government. !WARNING! It'll change Your political system to bureaucratic despotism!
Event 9477 - 10% chance for killing the ruler.
Event 9486 - Again 10% chance...
Event 9488 - KILL HIM FOR DAT BAD WAR!!!!

What is falling down in the icon for Revolution and Counter-Revolution NI?

What is falling down in the icon for Revolution and Counter-Revolution NI?

Do you mean the blade of the of the guillotine?

XjmBN.png

Last edited:
Do you mean the blade of the of the guillotine?

XjmBN.png
Oh. Another question: when you vassalize Scotland, do find it impossible to annex them, because of their sheer size?

Oh. Another question: when you vassalize Scotland, do find it impossible to annex them, because of their sheer size?

Win wars, gain prestige, expand sphere of influence. Takes a while, but that will raise your diplomatic ability enough to ensure they accept your annexation request. Also, convert to a republic and select a leader that has good diplomatic skills. And hire an ambassador. Anyway, size doesn't matter when it comes to annexing vassals. I've had 13 province Croatia at "Very Likely" on annexation request while OPM Montenegro was only at "Maybe".