• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
God damnit! I think its a shame you lose claims to thrones even though you are already at war to claim it. As Austria I claim and WD Cicily, and while besieging them I lose the claim. Same thing happened to Sweden. The only war to grab a throne is blitzkrieg with uber stacks?

God damnit! I think its a shame you lose claims to thrones even though you are already at war to claim it. As Austria I claim and WD Cicily, and while besieging them I lose the claim. Same thing happened to Sweden. The only war to grab a throne is blitzkrieg with uber stacks?
You were just unlucky. I've yet to be in this situation. I bet your monarch died before the end of the war. That's the most simplest way on how to lose a Claim.

For the Colonialism CB, what is considered a "colony"?

For the Colonialism CB, what is considered a "colony"?

Any province that is "overseas," meaning outside of your capital continent. If your capital is Rome, a colony would be any province not in Europe. Although I've never had this for North Africa, so I might be technically wrong with that. You can only demand provinces that border your own colonies, and I believe another prerequisite is to have a neighbor for one of your colonies to have a colonial CB against them. A "colony" is any province with less than 1000 population, although I am not sure if the colonial CB considers any overseas province a colony, or if it is only overseas provinces with less than 1000 population.

Any province that is "overseas," meaning outside of your capital continent. If your capital is Rome, a colony would be any province not in Europe. Although I've never had this for North Africa, so I might be technically wrong with that. You can only demand provinces that border your own colonies, and I believe another prerequisite is to have a neighbor for one of your colonies to have a colonial CB against them. A "colony" is any province with less than 1000 population, although I am not sure if the colonial CB considers any overseas province a colony, or if it is only overseas provinces with less than 1000 population.
Any overseas provinces.
An Ottoman Empire, with capital in Europe, and no land connection, has overseas provinces in Persia. If you have an overseas province bordering them, you can attack, no matter the pop.

But the Canaries are not treated as overseas from France. How does that work?

1) Canarias, Azores, and Madeira are in the Europe region
2) There is no border from the Canarias to any other province.

The colonialism CB only applies to provinces that you have a border with that are distant overseas for the owner. When rebels or other sieges cut provinces off you will often see the CB come and go in areas near continental borders.

How many galleys does it take to beat a big ship (give me an estimate)?

How do you create a spoiler?
EDIT: never mind

I believe that those bonuses are supposed to represent imperial control over the other daimyos. If you are Shogun, you get a bit of the tax income from all of Japan, rather than just your own lands, and they have to support you in war. Kinda like semi-vassalage. That's the way I look at it anyhow.

You could very easily code an event that gives your nation a tag which awards manpower and tax bonuses. Make the event requirement "be japan" and it should work fine.

I'm not being very specific because I have not modded events in a year or two, and have thus completely forgotten all about how to do it.

Thanks, good idea. I'm don't know much about modding yet, so I ended up just putting the bonuses under the "united_japan" modifier and setting the duration to -1.

Btw, do you know where the localization text for modifiers is? I was going to add a new modifier first but couldn't find where to put the descriptions. I see various files for events and other things but nothing for modifiers.

How many galleys does it take to beat a big ship (give me an estimate)?
I'll assume here we are talking about a Carrack and galleys with naval Tech1-10
The carrack has 40 guns and 20 hull and 5 move while a galley has 10 cannon 12 hull and 8 move.
*le wild math appears*
lets assume 1 gun does 0,1 DPS than the carrack would need 3 second to kill off a galley.
Theory first: 2 galleys: The firs gallyes sinks in the third second and the carrack sustained 3(second)x2(ship)x1(DPS/ship) = 6 dmg. Still has 14. thats seems too much to handle
Theroy second: 3 galleys: At the 3. second the carrack sustaind 3x3x1 9dmg. still has 11. The 6th second it takes anther 6 dmg, now on 7. the 9th second it takes another 3dmg and sits at 4, but still floating.

Adding a 4th galley will definetly kill off the big ship.
Now that is the most simpler math there is. If you add some flavor like Inland see bonus of galleys, admiral stats, tech modifier bonuses and ofc the pure luck nature of a battle (represented with a dice) you may get some suprises.
But there is your estimtate.

This has probably been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find the answer to: What do the abbreviations in the combat resolution window mean?

P:?
T:?
WE: I guess is War Exhaustion?

This has probably been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find the answer to: What do the abbreviations in the combat resolution window mean?

P:?
T:?
WE: I guess is War Exhaustion?

You're right about WE. P is prestige; T is tradition (army or navy, as appropriate).

This might sound dumb but why is the EU3 forum in the development studio instead of the current games? Probably doesn't matter one way or the other but the mystery has been bugging me.
All games developed by Paradox are in the PDS group now to separate them from the ones only published by Paradox.