• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Severely reduced supply (meaning, more attrition damage) for enemy armies in the scorched zones. I've seen an 86 unit stack quickly boil down to just 16 regiments while besieging a lvl4 fort in a scorched province.

My question: does the provincial decision "Settlement Policy" require the national focus in order to finsh its mission? I moved the national focus elsewhere to establish a new CoT, and I left two active settlement policies at the prior focus location. It has been 80-ish years, and they have not completed changing the provincial culture. It only should only take roughly fifty years, right?

Scorched earth also affects your armies; you also receive dramatically less income from scorched provinces.

Cultural change is much more likely in a province within your national focus but settlement policy will work after the focus is moved.

Countries losing their capital provinces: This can be forced if the capital is isolated (no adjacent owned provinces), port capitals require there also be no other ports owned on the same continent to force the change. Many times the ai will move their capital voluntarily when it loses all adjacent territories even if it isn't forced to do so.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Strategic_Resource_Bonus
I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly but I think this is what you are looking for.
"Trading in CoTs totalling at least 33% of the world supply of a resource will grant a bonus"

I searched for it, but did not know how to search it properly, it seems. Thanks!
Indeed, that is what I was asking about. So if I have even 1 merchant in a CoT that has 33% of world's regions with a specific resource, I get it, right?

OK, so: one of the things I can't understand so far in this game is attrition (and the supply limit too). I mean I've read the Wiki for it, but probably because I am not a native English speaker can't get it that got. Btw, if you can provide some example for each one of the questions would be awesome.

1) What is actually attrition?
2) What is the supply limit?
3) What is the connection between them, if any?
4) What happens if I go over them? I mean something concrete, what penalties does it lead to?

Hehe, meant mercenaries.
They're faster to build, they can be built in provinces you control but don't own, and they don't use your manpower pool.
Downsides are they cost more to build and maintain and they normally have less morale (no bonuses from Military Drill, policy sliders, or advisors). Also you can't recruit them in overseas provinces. (There is an advisor and some decisions that can reduce mercenary costs.)

OK, so: one of the things I can't understand so far in this game is attrition (and the supply limit too). I mean I've read the Wiki for it, but probably because I am not a native English speaker can't get it that got. Btw, if you can provide some example for each one of the questions would be awesome.

1) What is actually attrition?
2) What is the supply limit?
3) What is the connection between them, if any?
4) What happens if I go over them? I mean something concrete, what penalties does it lead to?

1- Attrition: the gradual death/desertion of soldiers. If an army is taking attrition, a small percentage of its troops will die every month.
2- The supply limit is the number of soldiers a province can contain without causing attrition. It is measured in thousands. A province with a supply limit of 3 can hold 3000 men without attrition.
3- Having more soldiers than the supply limit allows causes attrition. The higher you go over the limit, the more attrition you get.
4- A small amount of attrition has no affect on troop numbers, since they are replenished faster than they die. A larger amount will begin to cause losses. A very large amount of attrition will eventually destroy enough of the unit to bring its weight back down below the supply limit!

Did they fix that bug already? I stop using mercenaries ages ago, but I remember when you could select the hire mercenary screen in a home province and then switch to an overseas province (I think I even reported a bug for this).
They fixed most of the mercenary and shipbuilding loopholes in 4.1b but it's possible some may remain.

1- Attrition: the gradual death/desertion of soldiers. If an army is taking attrition, a small percentage of its troops will die every month.
2- The supply limit is the number of soldiers a province can contain without causing attrition. It is measured in thousands. A province with a supply limit of 3 can hold 3000 men without attrition.
3- Having more soldiers than the supply limit allows causes attrition. The higher you go over the limit, the more attrition you get.
4- A small amount of attrition has no affect on troop numbers, since they are replenished faster than they die. A larger amount will begin to cause losses. A very large amount of attrition will eventually destroy enough of the unit to bring its weight back down below the supply limit!

So, let us say I have 10.000 soldiers (10 regiments) in a province with supply limit 7 and attrition 5. What does exactly happen?

1) Attrition affects only the additional 3.000 soldiers?
2) Do I lose a specific and already known percent of them each month?
3) If I would have only 7.000 soldiers, would not lose ANY of them?
4) Why, if I am not at war, for example, I can keep like 18.000 soldiers in a single province of mine without losing not even one of them?
5) So the relationship between them it's like attrition shows how much do you lose when you get over the supply limit, right? That's all I have to know about them?

4) Why, if I am not at war, for example, I can keep like 18.000 soldiers in a single province of mine without losing not even one of them?
The province supply limit depends on the province's base tax and its owner/controller status with respect to the army in it. You have a much higher supply limit in provinces you own compared to those owned by your enemy.
See http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Military#Supply_Limit