• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In EUII, conquering a nation's capital gave you all their discoveries. That was too much, obviously, and was correctly dropped from EUIII. However, it does seem to me that doing so should give you knowledge of all their provinces (and perhaps the adjacent sea zones.)

What determines when a nation collapses (and I mean that popup you get where it says "Those fools! *insert country name here* has collapsed!)? Are there any effects other than being forced to give up territory?

Oh okay. Thanks a lot on the Castille question everyone. I have another (sorry for bugging you):

I want to add a nation to the game called Iberia that's the same as Spain except requiring cores on some Portuguese provinces on top of the cores needed to form Spain. How would I go about doing this? Would I just copy spanishnation.txt, make iberiannation.txt, paste it, change the tag, and put a decision in the Portugal/Castille/Aragon/Navarra/Spain decisions that allows a tagswitch? Anything else I need?

What determines the rate of which rebels replenish? How is tribute calculated? How is income calculated? After a horde or rebel occupies a province, how long until it defects?

What determines when a nation collapses (and I mean that popup you get where it says "Those fools! *insert country name here* has collapsed!)? Are there any effects other than being forced to give up territory?

1. a nation collapses when rebels control enough provinces of it - my bet would be around 50 percent of the provinces, but I think base tax or something else counts also.

2. a nation cannot collapse when at war - so you can frequently see countries collapsing right after making peace (next month).

3. the effect of collapse depends on the type of rebels, according to THIS page. there is also a nice chart on the page answering your other questions about which rebel types reinforce and the time it takes for them to defect.

4. tribute is calculated as a percent of your current total income - so best to accept tribute when your economy is in a bad shape (low stability, occupied provinces etc.).

5. the provinces defection to the hordes are based on the number of buildings they have. the base time is 1 year of occupation IIRC.

Recently installed DW, having had a long pause since playing HTTT I chose England for things to be easy. Few newb questions poping up:

1. Why are France and Castille constantly declaring and withdrawing embargos on me? I have a low relationship with the French, but a RM and ~60 relation with Castille, so what is happening? Is that the AI trying to lower the relations without sending insults? Because it's happening at least twice a year!

2. I've left the Hanseatic trade league, because as I understand it such an involvement means I have effectively "trade agreements" with all members, so my merchants can't compete. Is that right? They were having enough hard time on their own, and I saw a compete chance increase after leaving!

3. I thought that Venezia CoT was marked red and unaccessible because i was in a league with their competitors. Now that I'm out of the league I still can't send my merchants to sunny Italy! Why is that?

1. Why are France and Castille constantly declaring and withdrawing embargos on me? I have a low relationship with the French, but a RM and ~60 relation with Castille, so what is happening? Is that the AI trying to lower the relations without sending insults? Because it's happening at least twice a year!

2. I've left the Hanseatic trade league, because as I understand it such an involvement means I have effectively "trade agreements" with all members, so my merchants can't compete. Is that right? They were having enough hard time on their own, and I saw a compete chance increase after leaving!

3. I thought that Venezia CoT was marked red and unaccessible because i was in a league with their competitors. Now that I'm out of the league I still can't send my merchants to sunny Italy! Why is that?

1. I don't know why this happens either, but it's downright annoying. Next time you get the pop-up message saying they embargoed you, right-click on the message and deselect the pop-up message option so it doesn't drive you mad.

2. Yes, the Hanseatic trade league means you can't compete with other members. It also means that they can't kick you out once you're in; outside nations have to do it. This usually means your merchants have more staying power as long as there's someone in the HTL that has a worse compete chance than you. If you have trouble getting inside the CoT in the first place, you're too far mercantilism or your infamy is too high. Your infamy reduces your compete chance by 2% per BB point. You might want to reassess your situation - is the amount it costs to send merchants so often more than how much you're getting from trade?

3. When the CoT is red, the distance from you to the nearest CoT is too far for your merchants to compete in. Increasing your trade tech level will increase the distance you can trade. I've always found Venezia to be marked red, but I can reach Andalucia first. I never understood this.

2. Yes, the Hanseatic trade league means you can't compete with other members. It also means that they can't kick you out once you're in; outside nations have to do it. This usually means your merchants have more staying power as long as there's someone in the HTL that has a worse compete chance than you. If you have trouble getting inside the CoT in the first place, you're too far mercantilism or your infamy is too high. Your infamy reduces your compete chance by 2% per BB point. You might want to reassess your situation - is the amount it costs to send merchants so often more than how much you're getting from trade?
Since one of the first things I did was annexing most of Ireland infamy did get high enough for me to loose the competetive edge. I'm now waiting for the bb points to drop (hired a Diplomat, chose decisions to reduce infamy) but during my wars all of my traders were outsted from Luebeck, and I couldn't squeeze any more in while in the League...
3. When the CoT is red, the distance from you to the nearest CoT is too far for your merchants to compete in. Increasing your trade tech level will increase the distance you can trade. I've always found Venezia to be marked red, but I can reach Andalucia first. I never understood this.
Oh, so that's it! Thank you, that cleared up a lot :)

Since one of the first things I did was annexing most of Ireland infamy did get high enough for me to loose the competetive edge. I'm now waiting for the bb points to drop (hired a Diplomat, chose decisions to reduce infamy) but during my wars all of my traders were outsted from Luebeck, and I couldn't squeeze any more in while in the League...

I'd say in your situation, your best bet is to send all five at once. In the ledger, you can mouse over where it says "Lubeck 0(+5)" and see the date your five merchants will arrive. Join the trade league the day after they arrive. Don't know if this will help or not, but I believe it's worth a shot.

If you're in a trade league, you use the League leader's compete chance instead of your own if it's higher. That can be a big advantage. However, I believe you can only do this if your infamy is lower than the leader's, so you lose the benefit as well as getting the normal infamy penalty to compete chance.

WAD = Working As Designed. It means that the thing you're talking about is an intended part of the game, not a bug or an exploit.

Ottomans got their armies isolated from their main provinces. Syria declares war, occupies the 80% of provinces it can reach and sits there for years. I get a Conquest mission for a province Syria occupies. I DoW Ottoman, destroy their armies, occupy the rest of their provinces and I sit there. I know AI countries try to peace out with each other when one is at war with a human, but how long do I have to wait--its been over a year. Is there anything I can do, short of DoW-ing Syria, to get at that province I want?

Ottomans got their armies isolated from their main provinces. Syria declares war, occupies the 80% of provinces it can reach and sits there for years. I get a Conquest mission for a province Syria occupies. I DoW Ottoman, destroy their armies, occupy the rest of their provinces and I sit there. I know AI countries try to peace out with each other when one is at war with a human, but how long do I have to wait--its been over a year. Is there anything I can do, short of DoW-ing Syria, to get at that province I want?

Sponsor patriots in the occupied province that you want. Once they win the siege it will become unoccupied territory.

Sponsor patriots in the occupied province that you want. Once they win the siege it will become unoccupied territory.

I'll try that, but I think Syria is patrolling the area and wiping any rebels. Thanks