• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does one increase the trade value of a COT? I'm England, I have a mission to control my trade. I am currently trading thru Antwerpen worth 640.It needs to become 800 so I can create new COT.

On a related note My Colonies in New World are trading thru Andalucia, eventhough I am Embargoed by Castille. Why don't they trade thru Antwerpen?
You cannot increase is directly. I think it is dependant of the the connected provinces total trade value.
On the specific quest I embargoed Burgundy so almost all of my provinces Including London started trading in Lübeck which already had over 1000 in value, allowing the creation of a CoT, which i did immedietly in London.
I think if a nation embargoes you it means you cannot send merchants to their CoT (bad for you) and their provinces wont trade in your CoT (bad for you) but if your provinces would not be allowed to connect to their CoT it would be bad for them. Logical assumption: If you want to stop your provinces to trade with them you must also embargo them.

Here is my question: Does an oversee province count towards the size penalty for tech research?
I cannot decide if it is better to have many colony and deal with lower tech or keep away for the sake of faster advance. Same applies inside europe. Is it better to keep provices or release them as vassals for half tax and lost trade/production income and half forcelimit for the pure sake of faster tech research?
For a OPM I cant do anything against major powers even if I'm 6 points ahead in tech ( I cannot be much more ahead, thx neighbor bonus) but I cant go ahead in tech compared to other major powers if i'm a major power. (thx size penalty)
Seems like its not worth thinking to much about tech. Its there basicly to keep the game somewhat less monotone. Nothing else.

Last edited:
oh this is just sweet...
on my first play with Hungary I had 2 wars in 10 years against Venice and his allies... no matter. I could handle it.
Today I decided I start over with Gold infaltion only and guess what happens... the golden horde happens. Whenever I get a Restless Horde popup I lose like prestige (I f dont know why) and they roll me over. After 5 years they do it again. i'm sitting here paying tribute and having -70 prestige unable to do s in diplomacy, crippled manpower and almost no tech advance. wasted 12 years for noting... and guess what? it wont stop. They just keep coming again and again.
How am I suppose to stand up agains 5x10k horde while I cant even defeat 10k with 15k man. they just roll me over. damn horsemans...

so... whats with the huge prestige loss after the Golden horde - (well its technically a) - DoW on me?

update... I somehow managed to make an alliance with austria but.... the are not moving a finger to help me out against the horde. no kidding they have 2x15k armies on the borde and they just sitting there wathcing my country burn... what kind of alliance is this?

Last edited:
How does one increase the trade value of a COT? I'm England, I have a mission to control my trade. I am currently trading thru Antwerpen worth 640.It needs to become 800 so I can create new COT.

On a related note My Colonies in New World are trading thru Andalucia, eventhough I am Embargoed by Castille. Why don't they trade thru Antwerpen?
Embargo Castille yourself.

Also, you may want to consider to join a Trade League (like the Hansa) just to leave - trade values only update at the end of the month.

Here is my question: Does an oversee province count towards the size penalty for tech research?
I cannot decide if it is better to have many colony and deal with lower tech or keep away for the sake of faster advance. Same applies inside europe. Is it better to keep provices or release them as vassals for half tax and lost trade/production income and half forcelimit for the pure sake of faster tech research? (..).
It counts. Though, it is still worth becoming bigger, if you consider that many overseas provinces produce colonial goods that become extremely valuable over the course of the game. This will add more to your monthly research budget than their number hinders your advance.

Noble republics can have royal marriages, but can they claim thrones, force PUs, and eventually inherit other countries? If so, it'd be extremely powerful because you have a chance at inheriting every 8 (or 4?) years.. Also, if they can, then does it allow a chance at inheritance at death of ruler (keep re-electing) or each election of a new ruler?

Noble republics can have royal marriages, but can they claim thrones, force PUs, and eventually inherit other countries? If so, it'd be extremely powerful because you have a chance at inheriting every 8 (or 4?) years.. Also, if they can, then does it allow a chance at inheritance at death of ruler (keep re-electing) or each election of a new ruler?
I have never seen a Noble Republic inherit anything in Divine Wind.

Playing as the Japanese Shogun, how do I successfully offer vasalization to the other daimyos? I'm at 200 relations with all of them, is there any way besides war to get them to vassilize?

Last edited:
not sure if everyone play the game on easy or I just kinda suck.
Started a game as england (with Ashantai personal mod: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?556104-Ashantai-s-Tweaking-Mod ) on normal difficulty. I'm almost always in a constant war either with the french or with Burgundy. They just keep DOWing me as soon as the truce expires. With all the alliances i'm constantly fighting with half europe, my manpower drained my purse barealy has enough to keep up with the tech, I'm happy if I can have a white peace sooner or later.
Damn this is hard, is it?

I'm almost always in a constant war either with the french or with Burgundy. They just keep DOWing me as soon as the truce expires. With all the alliances i'm constantly fighting with half europe, my manpower drained my purse barealy has enough to keep up with the tech, I'm happy if I can have a white peace sooner or later.
Damn this is hard, is it?
You either need to focus your entire effort on destroying France from the start of the game or get rid of your continental provinces and rely on your navy to protect you from France/Burgundy.

I'm playing as Castille, trying to quickly annex Granada (early prestige gains) and the claim Aragon and force-PU them early. Normally, sieges take 100-200 days each. Against Granada, it's taking 700-800 days each consistently (5-6 playthroughs now, and I'm getting frustrated). It takes too long because I need to annex them to get higher prestige than Aragon, but after 700-800 days Aragon usually has their first legal heir.

What do I do?? It's confusing that the long siege times only happen with Granada.

What do I do?? It's confusing that the long siege times only happen with Granada.
If you don't have vastly superior force you could try bringin' in a couple more regiments and assault forts which you conveniently see breached or the defenders have a slightly lower than max moral. Or use the more regiments to completely annihilate enemy armies and siege all province at once (use the detach siege button in each province and than move onward tot he next)
I have no better idea.
I'm playing as the Japanese shogun, I just DoW'd Malacca with a Religious Liberation CB. After I occupied them, however, I was still unable to annex them. Why is that?
Malacca starts with 4 provinces. Are you sure you occupied all of them? If you war score is not 100% they still have free province somewhere. Or maybe a small fleet. switch the map to diplomatic mode, zoom out and see if there is any more "red" province somewhere.

Malacca starts with 4 provinces. Are you sure you occupied all of them? If you war score is not 100% they still have free province somewhere. Or maybe a small fleet. switch the map to diplomatic mode, zoom out and see if there is any more "red" province somewhere.

That was the issue, they had provinces I hadn't discovered yet. Thanks for the help, though.

If you don't have vastly superior force you could try bringin' in a couple more regiments and assault forts which you conveniently see breached or the defenders have a slightly lower than max moral. Or use the more regiments to completely annihilate enemy armies and siege all province at once (use the detach siege button in each province and than move onward tot he next)
I have no better idea.

I would put two infantry in each province besieging, but it takes 700 days each for some reason.

I would put two infantry in each province besieging, but it takes 700 days each for some reason.
... and I assume they "produce" a heir in 700 days. oh well.
As ANO1453 said the defensive slider could be the root of your problem. You cant do anything about that do except editing the save game file and change that slider. (but cheating is baaad ^^)

They also start with a CoT in their capital so the total peace value may well be > 100% which disallows annexation.