• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anyway if anyone has good tips for playing England in 1399, or another country in another time, you are welcome to share them with me. Some specific info for playing a certain country might be really helpfull to get to know the mechanics of the game. I've been reading a lot of info online. And I downloaded the HttT manual. But I haven't completely read that one because I wanted to start playing. :)

Build a big navy and make sure that 1066 will forever be the date of the last successful invasion of Britain over the Channel. England is a great nation for a beginner because you can stay up by yourself, project power everywhere, but never have your homeland threatened by outsiders.

Just mess around conquering natives and colonizing. Explore and conquer the far east. You can deal with taking over Europe in future games once you have a bit more experience.

@ Pompan: I believe you have to make every one of your province your state religion.

@ hairlessOrphan: 1) I believe so, yes. 2) Their production goes straight into your treasury, I believe? I can't think of any gold FAQ thread, sorry.

Do you get (extort?) production money out of occupied provinces?

Is there a thread somewhere that explains how gold provinces work?

Thanks to everyone popping out answers in this thread!

Yes you do get a percentage of what every province produces. If you look on your research tab it will break down your income in taxes, production, trade, gold, and tariffs(production from overseas provinces, you get this instead of taxes). So a poor tax but rich production province isn't necessarily bad(with the right improvements it can be very good). The production research will increase the % of your provinces production you get.

Gold I'm not sure about, it acts differently then other resources and can cause inflation if its to much of your income.

Ow I feel a bit stupid now. I'm just reading Rhadok's tutorial. And it's exacely what I was asking for here.:eek:o I'll follow that one, then see what happens. I'm going to focus on colonizing North-America.

RJA

Hmm is there any bonus if someone from your dynasty(not your king) gets to some other country throne

I think theres a small +1 relations bonus(maybe smaller), I think you get a one time prestige bump.

About dynasties is there any reasons why this happened: I have royal marriage with Castillia and it says that after the dead of their queen a union will be formed tho after a while it says that a nobel from my family will take the throne and no union, when this happened i had 100 prestige, 100 legitimacy, 200 relations, white infamy and i wasn't in a war.

As Byzantium, is it good to convert to catholic asap? I am in 1414 and haven't yet used any missionaries because I was planning on convertin to catholic. I am playing Divine Wind. In order to convert I am just planning on offering my conversion in a peace deal with France.

As Portugal (EU3 Complete) I have a huge fleet and large army - but the army is costing me like three times the Maintenance of the fleet even though I'm way under the maintenance limit. I have the Naval slider all they way to the right. What can be done to reduce Army maintenance? Is there a National Idea that helps? Does Infantry Cost all affect Maintenance cost?

What can be done to reduce Army maintenance? Is there a National Idea that helps? Does Infantry Cost all affect Maintenance cost?

You can go full land. You can further raise your land force limits.

Infantry cost the least maintenance, artillery middle, and cavalry the most. An all infantry army will cost much less than an all cavalry army.

There really isn't much you can do to lower it other than just decreasing the slider, though.

In some screenshots for DW, I see that armies are alphabetically ordered in the outliner overlay. Is this just by coincidence, or is this A Thing That DW Does?

Well, your link isn't working, so I can't really tell...

Edit: But no, DW doesn't automatically put all your armies in alphabetical order in the outliner. It's just a coincidence.

"they surrender. But I don't get the province, even though ..."

I once tried to rotate out the troops that were sieging a province. My troops were there first, but an ally arrived soon after. I then replaced the initial regiments - which were at full strength - with ones that had suffered significant losses. With my ally's troops also present, the siege would not be prolonged by lower manpower. I made certain that I had my troops in the province at all times, but I lost control of the siege as soon as those initial troops were given a new destination. So not only does it matter whose regiments begin the siege, it also matters *which* specific regiments conduct the siege.

Argh! This has to be a highly-requested feature, right? It's hard to keep track of military stacks in a big war.

Here's what I do:

I have a pre-defined army setup. 4/4/2 in the early game, 6/6/4 in the later game. I name the armies based on the province they usually reside in during peace time. In a war, I will rename them based on their objective or the area they are fighting in. If I am Spain, I might have these armies: Pyreenes Defence, Avignon Offense, Southwest France, France Defence (for reinforcing any occupied area that is under attack that my offensive army can't handle).

If I'm playing MP, I may or may not name them misleading things in order to confuse my enemy. Sometimes I will name the army invading France as "Homeland Defense" in order to make him think I've got my entire army in France. He might try a sea assualt on Madrid and then my real Madrid defense army will annihilate his invasion force. Sometimes I'll just name them what they actually are doing in order to confuse him further about when I'm actually telling the truth!

But anyway, I rarely if ever use the army outliner. Simply name your armies something memorable or name them according to their purposes, and it'll be easier to remember where they are or what they're doing.

Alternatively, a device I used when I was learning how to play is a messaging option. You can make it so that the games gives you a popup whenever an army or navy arrives at its destination. This can help you not forget about any armies or navies. Also, there are popup options for whenever a siege starts in your territory or whenever your army has been attacked.

As Portugal (EU3 Complete) I have a huge fleet and large army - but the army is costing me like three times the Maintenance of the fleet even though I'm way under the maintenance limit. I have the Naval slider all they way to the right. What can be done to reduce Army maintenance? Is there a National Idea that helps? Does Infantry Cost all affect Maintenance cost?

I can't remember if its in EUIII Complete, but in DW there is a national idea that will reduce your army maintence, but only 20% iirc. Alterativly you can get military drill NI and you can survive many cases on much lower maitence if you're just whacking rebles or non-western tech countries.

1. When a nation's prestige drops below 0, it appears SOI can be taken away by other countries. But what is the prestige limit that will actually loose SOI automatically?

2. Was the above situation where a nation taking another nation's SOI caused by negative prestige of original SOI holder, or the prestige differnece between the two nations fighting over SOI?

Thanks in advance!