• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm sure this has probably been answered before, but I'm at wits end trying to figure this out:

I'm trying to move my capitol from London (as Great Britain) to the New World in North America. I had my focus there, it was surrounded by cores (and was a core), I had enough money...It was inland though. Does it need to be on a coast? I don't even know for certain. If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.
The only thing required is that your new province is a core. That's it, it doesn't matter if it's inland or not, surrounded by cores or not.
What needs to be isolated is the capital where you are moving FROM.
Do you have any island or any possession in Europe that is not connected to more land of yours? Like an island (Malta, Gotland, Azores, Madeira, Canarias) or an isolated piece of land that is core (at the start of the game, Calais)?

My ally Portugal got me into this senseless war with a country deep inside Africa.
(I should have refused to join this war)

After a while I conceded defeat because a fight there didn't seem cost effective, and I can't even reach their capital (I think).

But now all my vassals are still at war there, without being able to accomplish anything.

What is my best cause of action here? (I want my vassals at peace, so I can annex one of them).

My ally Portugal got me into this senseless war with a country deep inside Africa.
(I should have refused to join this war)

After a while I conceded defeat because a fight there didn't seem cost effective, and I can't even reach their capital (I think).

But now all my vassals are still at war there, without being able to accomplish anything.

What is my best cause of action here? (I want my vassals at peace, so I can annex one of them).
Don't worry, they will peace out automatically after a certain time without encounters.

The only thing required is that your new province is a core. That's it, it doesn't matter if it's inland or not, surrounded by cores or not.
What needs to be isolated is the capital where you are moving FROM.
Do you have any island or any possession in Europe that is not connected to more land of yours? Like an island (Malta, Gotland, Azores, Madeira, Canarias) or an isolated piece of land that is core (at the start of the game, Calais)?

Ooh. Oh. Okay. Right, yes I have plenty of those. I assume the first step is to move the capitol to an island then hop it over to North America?

Thanks for the answers to my earlier post regarding the buggy death of king Henry V of England. Perphaps something for PI to change in a future patch.

peaceful personal unions

Is there a way to peacefully create a personal union with another country? I understand that you can claim throne go to war and force a personal union, but I don't understand how to peacefully annex outside of diploannexing a vassal. (Even the fabricate claims spy option appears to require a personal union, which I can't figure out how to get outside of forcing one through war.) (Divine Wind 5.1)

Last edited:
Is there a way to peacefully create a personal union with another country? I understand that you can claim throne go to war and force a personal union, but I don't understand how to peacefully annex outside of diploannexing a vassal. (Even the fabricate claims spy option appears to require a personal union, which I can't figure out how to get outside of forcing one through war.) (Divine Wind 5.1)

If you are the highest prestige nation that has a royal marriage with a nation that lacks an heir there is a chance you can get a PU or inherit that nation (not good odds).

You can use the "claim throne" diplomatic action on a nation you have a RM with that lacks an heir or has a current heir with a weak claim. If the current ruler dies without getting a legal heir with a strong claim you will get a PU with them (assuming no other nation also claims the throne) without going to war to force it. If another nation also claims the throne it will trigger a succession war. When you claim a throne you do not have to go to war to force the claim but if you don't there's a chance that they will get a new legal heir making your claim useless.

What country can most easily form Germany? I don't see how to do it, because you need missions or luck to get a proper casus belli so the emperor doesn't defend your target...

What country can most easily form Germany? I don't see how to do it, because you need missions or luck to get a proper casus belli so the emperor doesn't defend your target...

In my experience, Brandenburg->Prussia->Germany is easiest. Don't forget, you have 400+ years to do it, so don't be too distressed if you can't do it in the first 50 years...

Is it normal to have negative income per month but positive income per year?
Yes that is the normal state. Your monthly income normally goes into tech investment unless you mint which will cause inflation.

I just checked the massive revolt event when you go into very bad boy territory, and I'm not sure I understand this correctly.

These are the triggers:

Owner = { not { num of revolts 3 }
Owner = { badboy 1.25

So logically, it means that if you're more than 25% beyond the infamy limit and don't have yet 3 revolts on your hands, you get a nasty case of 40K rebels coming out in the countryside.

Problem is, I just tested it and the event triggers again and again, even when I already have 10 revolts in my country.
Is it really working as intended? Or is something broken in the code?

Is it worth it to westernize with the Ottomans or Russia, I can keep pace in tech with the Western countries fairly easily so dropping behind 20 places in tech doesn't seem like its worth it. What do people usually do in these situations? Also is there any other way to fall behind in tech besides minting a ton?

Is it worth it to westernize with the Ottomans or Russia, I can keep pace in tech with the Western countries fairly easily so dropping behind 20 places in tech doesn't seem like its worth it. What do people usually do in these situations? Also is there any other way to fall behind in tech besides minting a ton?

If you want to fall behind focus all your research in one tech and dont change it, you will get ahead of the time and it will slow your research speed down. The main reason to change is for the better military units, it really depends on how dominant you are whether or not this is necessary