• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
tl;dr - Will destroying one center of trade raise a nearby center's value?.
Kind of. If you destroy Lübeck then some of the north German provinces might start trading through Stockholm - but others will switch to Antwerpen or Venice or wherever, since they'll be closer or on better terms than they are with you. So you'll get a proportion of the CoT's current income, but not all of it.

You'll also get a big prestige penalty for destroying a CoT, I believe.

Charter a Guild of St Luke

Worth it to go for Patron of Arts and that decision?

Patron of the Arts is worth it on its own, without the decision you refer to. Cultural tradition can often be difficult to come by, and there are some events associated with it as well.

Merchant republics get a nice boost to the pull of their CoT and of course they can get trade rights so naturally it'll be more valuable. Lubeck will still be worth a decent amount however.

Is there any way to raise relations with neighbors without sending them 452453467 in gifts? One gift to Novgorod is about 50 ducats and I want my eastern border secure

guarantee, royal marriage, give mil access, ask for mil access, ally-all of these will raise relations if accepted. Once you have access winning a fight against rebels on their land (or winning a siege) will give a relations boost as well.

I believe that giving war subsidies increases your regular relation change as well. Note that the diplomacy value, prestige, religion/tolerance, and infamy of both nations determine the annual change in relations of 2 nations so even if everything else is right you can still get hated pretty quickly by a wrong religion nation.

Is there any way to raise relations with neighbors without sending them 452453467 in gifts? One gift to Novgorod is about 50 ducats and I want my eastern border secure

Royal marriage and asking for military access are the easiest. I assume that if you guarantee their independence it'll help, I've never tried it on a large/powerful country before. However, the best way to keep them from attacking you, short of an alliance, is to give them MA, though they might not want it.

1. Could it be, that the higher your diplomatic skill, the cheaper "send gift" becomes? I have a large sphere of influence and only pay like 20 ducats to the big countries. I'm used to pay 60 to influence the big countries.

2. I pressed Aragon in a PU through a war (claim throne CB). I noticed, they lost all provinces not of their culture (greek, turkish, arab provinces), after signing peace. Is this normal? It's not that I miss those provinces, but I'd be cool to know.

Is there a way to see how many povinces you own on each continent? and how many there are , too (those values do not change)?

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I had a war with a bunch of nations and raised my infamy to the limit, so no one will RM with me or sign mil access. Whatever, live and learn. My solution was a pre-emptive strike, making them release Ryazan and Finland.

1. Could it be, that the higher your diplomatic skill, the cheaper "send gift" becomes? I have a large sphere of influence and only pay like 20 ducats to the big countries. I'm used to pay 60 to influence the big countries.

2. I pressed Aragon in a PU through a war (claim throne CB). I noticed, they lost all provinces not of their culture (greek, turkish, arab provinces), after signing peace. Is this normal? It's not that I miss those provinces, but I'd be cool to know.

1. It's possible. That would make sense, as my current king has a low diplomatic skill and it's 50 ducats to raise relations with Novgorod.

2. I have no idea, that seems rather strange.

Is there a way to see how many povinces you own on each continent? and how many there are , too (those values do not change)?

You can try pressing F11 for a map of the world, or F12 for a map of only your territories. However, a specific province count, I don't know. Maybe it's somewhere in the ledger?

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I had a war with a bunch of nations and raised my infamy to the limit, so no one will RM with me or sign mil access. Whatever, live and learn. My solution was a pre-emptive strike, making them release Ryazan and Finland.

1. It's possible. That would make sense, as my current king has a low diplomatic skill and it's 50 ducats to raise relations with Novgorod.

2. I have no idea, that seems rather strange.

You can try pressing F11 for a map of the world, or F12 for a map of only your territories. However, a specific province count, I don't know. Maybe it's somewhere in the ledger?

The ledger will give you the total number of your provinces, and simple addition will give you the total, but there's no breakdown per continent to my knowledge. Look at the provinces graph.

EDIT: Relative size of the economy is what determines how big the gift is; so, if your economy is bigger than your target, you pay less for a gift. I'm fairly confident that diplomatic skill has nothing to do with it. I could be wrong, though.

economy questions

I've looked at the EU3 wiki, but can't find anything useful regarding tariffs, and can't for the life of me figure out tariffs in game--are production buildings worthless? trade? I understand that the number ships you have influences how much of your base tariff you get, but not what determines the tariff itself.

I wonder also about gold provinces, since gold doesn't appear to have a trade value, does that mean that trade buildings have no effect on your final take each month and year in gold provinces?

Is it possible to reduce Sphere of influence? like if I really don't want Prussia to keep growing and I increase my influence to a few nations I don't want them to swallow up... if I want to stop including them in my sphere is it possible to end this at any time?

also how does it work... like why can I add some nations and not others to my sphere?