• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, okay, thanks a lot. My prestige is usually around 80 (hell, I'm Sweden. No one can really hurt me besides Novgorod) but you're right, I didn't think about the MIL value or the slider. Sweden starts out with a biased land slider, and my king's MIL is rather pathetic. Thanks.

But when it comes to positioning penalties, what's the optimal setup for the Baltic/Kattegat for the early game? It's only about 1450.

One more question: If I'm not in the HRE, and land I take is, will I get the Unlawful Territory malice? If I get it, I'll have a positive BB/year change, just for being at peace, but I'd like to recreate the Swedish empire, but I don't have any Baltic cores... In my Holland game, I started expanding east towards the HRE, and the unlawful territory thing made me go to like 40 BB for being at peace for 50 years.

If you aren't a member of the HRE, you can remove provinces from the empire when you take them. You should do it quickly before you get the unlawful territory stuff.

One more question: If I'm not in the HRE, and land I take is, will I get the Unlawful Territory malice?
'Malus' :) Yes you will, unless (a) you immediately remove the territory from the HRE, which costs one magistrate per province and requires low relations between you and the Emperor; or (b) you have a core on the province due to an event or mission.

If your national culture was in the German group or you were a member of the HRE, another alternative would be to force a PU then wait to inherit, since that avoids the Unlawful Territory penalty as well. Unfortunately it doesn't work for Sweden unless you manage to culture-shift or join the HRE.

I took Rhodes from the Ottomans, converted it to Catholicism, and now want to release the Knights as a vassal. I don't have the option to release them. They have a core and I tried "tag KNI" to make sure they didn't exist. I'm not at war and can release other nations. Any idea why I can't release The Knights?

I took Rhodes from the Ottomans, converted it to Catholicism, and now want to release the Knights as a vassal. I don't have the option to release them. They have a core and I tried "tag KNI" to make sure they didn't exist. I'm not at war and can release other nations. Any idea why I can't release The Knights?
The Knights are Maltese and culture of the province is Greek.

I am Prussia and am in a war against Spain and Portugal. I have taken the 5 portuguese provinces in Scandinavia and they have nothing of mine. They have blockaded half of my ports with their navy including my fleet which despite being 3 times the size gets annihilated if I dare go out to take them on. It says I have full morale when I leave but as soon as the battle starts I have about 40%

This war has been going on for about 20 years or more now, what happens is that Spain will drop 28,000 troops on Mecklenberg once a year and Portugal will drop 28,000 troops on their Scandinavian areas once a year and each time I will maneoveur my 90,000 troops and destroy them with ease. I have 39% war score with Spain yet they will not even make white peace with me.

We are now in an eternal stalemate. I cannot get to Spain and I do not want to and they cannot inflict any damage on me. However I need to be at peace to remove a province from the HRE. How can I get Spain to accept white peace?

By "40%" do you mean the number in the battle screen? That's not morale, that's placement/positioning. It's how good your fleet is positioned (not in each other's way so they don't shoot each other). A small fleet with good placement can annihilate a big one with bad placement.

The blockade is probably getting your war exhaustion up, so your enemies will think that you're weak. Just wait and knock their armies out, they'll peace out eventually. If you're lucky they get into a different war and will WP more easily.

I am Prussia and am in a war against Spain and Portugal. I have taken the 5 portuguese provinces in Scandinavia and they have nothing of mine. They have blockaded half of my ports with their navy including my fleet which despite being 3 times the size gets annihilated if I dare go out to take them on. It says I have full morale when I leave but as soon as the battle starts I have about 40%

This war has been going on for about 20 years or more now, what happens is that Spain will drop 28,000 troops on Mecklenberg once a year and Portugal will drop 28,000 troops on their Scandinavian areas once a year and each time I will maneoveur my 90,000 troops and destroy them with ease. I have 39% war score with Spain yet they will not even make white peace with me.

We are now in an eternal stalemate. I cannot get to Spain and I do not want to and they cannot inflict any damage on me. However I need to be at peace to remove a province from the HRE. How can I get Spain to accept white peace?
Do you see any "This offer is better than they expected ... " warning?

Do you see any "This offer is better than they expected ... " warning?
I think you need at least 40 warscore for that to kick in.

By "40%" do you mean the number in the battle screen? That's not morale, that's placement/positioning. It's how good your fleet is positioned (not in each other's way so they don't shoot each other). A small fleet with good placement can annihilate a big one with bad placement.

The blockade is probably getting your war exhaustion up, so your enemies will think that you're weak. Just wait and knock their armies out, they'll peace out eventually. If you're lucky they get into a different war and will WP more easily.

I didn't realise that was positioning (thanks for that) although the green morale bar is still dangerously low when I engage despite supposedly being on full morale. These 8 boats defeat my 28 boats in about 15 - 20 seconds each time I leave. My fleet is basically trapped.

There is no such message Ano.

I didn't realise that was positioning (thanks for that) although the green morale bar is still dangerously low when I engage despite supposedly being on full morale. These 8 boats defeat my 28 boats in about 15 - 20 seconds each time I leave. My fleet is basically trapped.
Read the discussion with ajsciri4 earlier today. When in battle the morale bar is relative so probably the enemy's "full morale" is much higher than your "full morale" (which would not be too surprising for Portugal to have added morale from naval advisors/ideas/tech).

France is embargoing me since ages. I was at war with them way back, but we have a royal marriage, an alliance and relations are at 200 now. Yet, they don't lift the embargo. Is there anything I can do?

I was/am fairly certain the generous offer/stab hit comes about so long as peace offer you make is 20% below the current WS (with you winning, naturally).

It used to be that way but it got changed at some point. Now there is some sort of variable, I think based on the total possible war score value or somesuch so larger nations can safely ignore offers up to 40% (or possibly even higher) better.

As for NIs for GB-it depends a lot on what sort of game you want to play. If you want a mostly peaceful colonisation game then things like press gangs, land of opportunity, etc. If you want to get embroiled in continental wars then military drill, engineer corps, maybe grand army. Plus there are the obvious needs if you are playing as a free trader instead of the more usual mercantalist path for them of NTp and SCP.

If you play as a continental brawler as GB you don't need much help from NIs as you should have taken (and cored via mission) France by 1440 or so. This means that you can take most of the rest of Europe without any extra help.

I would go Church Attendance Duty for the Gilded Iconography Decision then swap it for Military Drill. Then go for Colonising ideas QFTNW Viceroys Ventures etc. Then press gangs then trading ideas.

My question: In the beginning of the game as Sweden, I built a CoT in Stockholm, and it's 1470 now and worth about 230 ducats/year. Lubeck, to the south, is generating about 1,110 ducats/year. Novgorod is generating about 400/year. Is it plausible to go, take these lands, and destroy these centers of trade in order to raise Stockholm's CoT value? Or will all of the same trading nations begin trading through Venice, Ile-de-France (Paris), Andalucia, etc.?

tl;dr - Will destroying one center of trade raise a nearby center's value?

Good national ideas for GB? Any idea? ;)

For any nation I play with that has even a small bit of coast, I take the national idea press gangs first. Being able to mass produce ships is extremely vital. The navy is sorely overlooked by many players (and as GB it's extremely vital) but even small nations that has more than one coastal territory such as Brittany should take Press Gangs first.

Military drill, national bank, and Quest For The New World are obvious candidates. If you're role-playing, you'll be colonizing a lot. I suggest the +25% (I think it's 25%) global tariffs idea. I think it's called Viceroys. Another good colonial one is Colonial Ventures.

If you plan to be expanding a lot, Unum Sanctum is good for having an excuse to declare war on Protestant nations and north African/Middle-east/etc. nations all the way until 1821. India should be easy to take as Great Britain.

Last edited: