• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He can if his PU ally is in the same war.

I don't think so. Can you prove it?

I say this because it's almost guaranteed that PU partners will be in the same wars, and yet it's widely considered to be impossible to inherit while at war. While some people continue to insist that it is possible, no proof has ever turned up.

I say this because it's almost guaranteed that PU partners will be in the same wars, and yet it's widely considered to be impossible to inherit while at war. While some people continue to insist that it is possible, no proof has ever turned up.

Well, I tried it I think >_>

You can inherit while you are at war as long as the junior is not at war.

You can inherit while you are at peace and only the junior partner is at war.
There, now we have all 4 possible statements in this thread, but so far, as far as I am aware only the "you can inherit when you are both at peace"-thingy has been proven.

Maybe we should say this:

You can inherit while both PU members are at peace. Though unproven, it may be possible to inherit while one or both members are at war (and it might have to be the same war).

As France, 1444 AD, I just finished a war with Emperor Austria, so we have a truce.

By events I gained a core on Burgundy (which has been beaten into a small country), and on Austria (in Italy).

Burgundy has no important allies, but will be protected by Austria.

When I start a reconquest war against Burgundy, will Austria declare war on me, despite the truce?

And what will the Reputation damage be when I demand the Italian province from Austria after I win that second war?

Another question: where do I see my War Exhaustion and recovery rate in peace time?
(this last war with Austria was pretty bad and I reached maximum war exhaustion from all those killed soldiers).

As France, 1444 AD, I just finished a war with Emperor Austria, so we have a truce.

By events I gained a core on Burgundy (which has been beaten into a small country), and on Austria (in Italy).

Burgundy has no important allies, but will be protected by Austria.

When I start a reconquest war against Burgundy, will Austria declare war on me, despite the truce?

And what will the Reputation damage be when I demand the Italian province from Austria after I win that second war?

Another question: where do I see my War Exhaustion and recovery rate in peace time?
(this last war with Austria was pretty bad and I reached maximum war exhaustion from all those killed soldiers).

Austria probably will join. The truce only prevents them from declaring war, not joining another war.

Austria's province will cost the normal 4 infamy, because the reconquest CB only applies to Burgundy (because it was them you DoW'd).

War exhaustion can be found on the military tab (where you adjust maintenance and change unit types) in the mid-bottom right. If you hover over it it will show all factors affecting it monthly.

Thanks. I had browsed through all views and tabs, but I kept overlooking this line.

I should point out that you can also declare war on Burgundy and Austria simultaneously. It means you can use the reconquer CB for each, meaning you'll take less infamy. On the other hand, you'll be fighting two different wars, which can make things more complicated.

I should point out that you can also declare war on Burgundy and Austria simultaneously. It means you can use the reconquer CB for each, meaning you'll take less infamy. On the other hand, you'll be fighting two different wars, which can make things more complicated.

Yes, I considered that as well, but I have this truce, so that means a big stability hit, doesn't it?

Maybe I must bide my time and do a bit of economic build-up.

Another question, this time about Prestige and Sphere of Influence.

By now expanding SOI will cost me 34 Prestige. At which point will the drop in Prestige become too great to consider it favourable any more?

Yes, I considered that as well, but I have this truce, so that means a big stability hit, doesn't it?

Maybe I must bide my time and do a bit of economic build-up.

Another question, this time about Prestige and Sphere of Influence.

By now expanding SOI will cost me 34 Prestige. At which point will the drop in Prestige become too great to consider it favourable any more?

Assuming the wiki is correct, it costs 2+2n prestige, where n is the number of nations already in your sphere. But it depends on how much you're willing to lose, and how fast you can regain it (e.g. winning a big war can give you a lot).

Can military modernization skip tiers?
To be more precise, I formed the Mughals with GH which changed my tech tree from nomad to muslim, but my military stayed nomad. Can I now westernize (the decision is available) to eastern tech, and then modernize my military directly to eastern (skipping the muslim), or I need to undergo two military modernization decisions?

Many buildings give a very low rate of return: like a workshop give +1 tax per year, but I have to pay 78d for them. That is less than 1.5% rate of return.

I can hardly believe that money is that cheap in EU3. Wouldn't investing in a larger army, or gifts to other nations, for instance be much more productive?

Many buildings give a very low rate of return: like a workshop give +1 tax per year, but I have to pay 78d for them. That is less than 1.5% rate of return.

I can hardly believe that money is that cheap in EU3. Wouldn't investing in a larger army, or gifts to other nations, for instance be much more productive?

There are some other factors to consider beyond the obvious of how long will this building take to pay for itself.

1) multipliers-that 1/year can easily turn into 3+/year with modifiers
2) non-explicit effects-buildings affect things like demand, events, and so forth
3) future buildings-for example, the level 2 & 3 trade buildings are, in and of themself, fairly meh. They are also generally built anyway because the higher tier buildings require them and are too good to pass up.
4) it's a long game, while the immediate return might be small, you have to look at the cumulative effects