• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So I've just figured out how to edit the defines file and make the game last longer, is there anything else I should know? Also is there a way to edit the amount of magistrates that can be held at one time? Like making the limit 50 instead of 5? I looked through the files but couldn't find anything.

Does discipline affect naval combat?

What buildings we should spam on colonies? Trade buildings like marketplaces, production buildings? How I can "see" or calculate production on colonies?
Overseas colonies? Mostly Trade - it boosts the price of goods such as Coffee, Tobacco, Sugar and Cotton, and since production is tied to the price of the goods, you increase revenues in two ways. There is also a third and fourth ways of increasing revenues if you control the CoT they are trading through.

What buildings we should spam on colonies? Trade buildings like marketplaces, production buildings? How I can "see" or calculate production on colonies?

Forts level one everywhere, then docks where there is a valuable good, then marketplaces everywhere, finally higher trade buildings where there is a valuable good. Goverment buildings are okay if there are spare magistrates. Land, production and higher naval buildings should be avoided because of the severe overseas malus.

I've had a king with Adm 3, which has made getting rid of war exhaustion a real time consuming process. I can't find any advisor that helps with war exhaustion ... are there any strategies for dealing with it outside of rebellion chance reductions?

I am enjoying a period of peace to recover some Reputation and use the spare money for some buildings.

My Prestige change is listed as +4% (Advisor and Florentine arts), so I expected my Prestige to slowly float towards +80 (-5% of +80 is -4%, which should equal the rise of 4%). Yet my Prestige slowly decays from 70+ by about 1% per year.

What am I missing.

(That slow decay is nothing serious, I just like to understand the mechanism).

I am enjoying a period of peace to recover some Reputation and use the spare money for some buildings.

My Prestige change is listed as +4% (Advisor and Florentine arts), so I expected my Prestige to slowly float towards +80 (-5% of +80 is -4%, which should equal the rise of 4%). Yet my Prestige slowly decays from 70+ by about 1% per year.

What am I missing.

Have you still got the Florentine school? That modifier expires after a period (I think 10 or 20 years).

Hey guys, I'm playing EU without the last to expansions. I want to be able to force PU's and I've read that the target needs low legitimacy, but legitimacy isn't a thing before HtTT so is there another way to do this or do I have to wait to get the expansions?

I have had that problem in DW. Only one core per war - at least before the beta patches.
Yes, it was not fixed in 5.0, only in 5.1. (Also fixed in my last couple fixpacks for HttT.)

What am I missing.

Prestige doesn't work like that. If you have those values and prestige is at 80 you will first get +4 making it 84 then -5% of 84 which is -4.2 giving you 79.8 . Really prestige modifiers should not be stated as a % value, just a number. Only prestige decay is actually a % of your current prestige.

Prestige doesn't work like that. If you have those values and prestige is at 80 you will first get +4 making it 84 then -5% of 84 which is -4.2 giving you 79.8 . Really prestige modifiers should not be stated as a % value, just a number. Only prestige decay is actually a % of your current prestige.

But you confirm my problem: I am at 70 Prestige, +4 makes it 74, minus 5% is minus 3.7 makes 70.3. So it should go up as long as I am well below 80.

However, I slide to 69 something.

Forgot about the fact that the stated gain/loss is yearly, not monthly and there is some rounding involved. Prestige is stored internally as a decimal where 1 = 100 prestige and most values are rounded to three decimal places.

0.04 per year = 0.003 per month and -0.05 per year = -0.004 per month

So 0.70 + 0.003 = 0.703 , 0.703 * (-0.004) = -0.003 so it should stay constant but there's probably some additional rounding error.

EDIT: Actually there was a change made in how prestige was stored internally but most likely there's still a rounding issue.

Last edited:
Forgot about the fact that the stated gain/loss is yearly, not monthly and there is some rounding involved. Prestige is stored internally as a decimal where 1 = 100 prestige and most values are rounded to three decimal places.

0.04 per year = 0.003 per month and -0.05 per year = -0.004 per month

So 0.70 + 0.003 = 0.703 , 0.703 * (-0.004) = -0.003 so it should stay constant but there's probably some additional rounding error.

EDIT: Actually there was a change made in how prestige was stored internally but most likely there's still a rounding issue.

I don't know what it was, but now it is rising slowly again, just like it should.

Maybe it was the fact that I was refused Military Access once that cost me a tiny bit of Prestige.

Does conquering a province clear province modifiers? I hope not...

Does conquering a province clear province modifiers? I hope not...
Depends what you mean by "conquering"; province modifiers are lost when a province changes owners but not when only control is changed.

What am I missing.

The base decay is 5%, so that florentine school and a four* philosopher would result in -5%+2%+2%=-1%, which is exactly what you see.

Edit: sorry, what I wrote here is rubbish; the base decay is on the current prestige, while the positive modifiers are absolute numbers. So indeed, it should converge to 80%.

Last edited: