• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There's no way to increase attributes of a ruler. Monarchies have to wait for heir to take the throne, and cross their fingers for the next. Republics get a new chance every four years because of elections (Okay, not Republican Dictatorships, they have the same guy til he dies).

Personal unions require good relations and high prestige to remain in place when a monarch dies. You can find out a lot of great information when you hover the mouse over a monarch's name. It says essentially what will happen when they die: Personal union continues, ends, inheritance, new heir, new heir and pretenders, etc. It's not always perfectly accurate but gives you a hint.

Iirc the mouse over is accurate, for that exact time, it can however change and very often does.

I am playing the mameluks in DW, how do I get to reform the goverment? There is an option to westernize, but not one to reform the Govt.

What level is your gov tech?

In HTTT, the requirements and effects for enacting this decision are different per type of tribal government. However, most of the requirements are common to all three:

1. Nation must be a Tribal Federation, Tribal Democracy or Tribal Despotism
2. Ruler must have administrative skill of 7 or higher
3. At least one of the Centralization/Decentralization or Innovation/Narrowminded sliders is at 2 or higher.
4. The country or a neighbouring country must be in the Western, Eastern or Muslim tech group
5. Tech level 10 in Government Tech
6. Stability 2 or higher
7. Be at peace

As a Tribal Federation or Tribal Despotism, an additional requirement is:

1. Legitimacy 70 or higher

In the latest public beta (April 29, 2010) the slider requirements are to have less than +2 on both of Centralization/Decentralization and Innovation/Narrowminded sliders.

It may not show up as an option till you reach that threshold, many other decisions act the same way.

In the hints at the opening of DW it says, "You can rename conquered provinces for flavour" or some such. Is this an in-game thing or just for modding? If the former, how?

You can click on the name of the province (in the province screen) and simply write something else.

The same works for province capital, army names and regiment names.

And as far as I can recall this option has been around long before DW. I rename units if they are going to be stationed somewhere, like 1st Brazil army or Italy Army I. Sometimes I'll rename Manhattan to New Amsterdam or some such.

Well im an Empire so its probs going to take me awhile, the thing is though Ive got 200 relations with all my personal unions and i get the deteriorated relations thing within a year of my save.

And as far as I can recall this option has been around long before DW. I rename units if they are going to be stationed somewhere, like 1st Brazil army or Italy Army I. Sometimes I'll rename Manhattan to New Amsterdam or some such.

Yes, I always rename my armies and navies to move around the map easier from the 'top right list thingy'. Just never realized it worked on provinces. Makes it pretty fun from a personal RP perspective, to name new lands after kings and generals and such.

Speaking of which: Am I the only one who has problems clicking on the minimap (bottom right) to move the screen (main window)? I use the lowest resolution, and I feel like it's the log 'overlapping' the minimap. If I minimize the log I can usually use the minimap, but not always. It's just an extra click that's kind of annoying and I was wondering if anybody has this problem and or a fix for it.

I'm playing my first game in DW.

Have the rules for releasing vassals changed? I grabbed Riga in a war with Denmark and want to cut it loose for a quick bit of Authority.

(Also, you can't force a release anymore? I invaded Bavaria to make them drop Franken, and that option's greyed out.)

Hmm you should see it as tribal despotism ( or watever you have). You need Gov Tec 10 I think and a ruler with 6 or 7 in admin. Its in the same page as the westernize sucess.

EDIT: Sheeeit, I didnt F5 and I didnt see all those answers xD

I'm playing my first game in DW.

Have the rules for releasing vassals changed? I grabbed Riga in a war with Denmark and want to cut it loose for a quick bit of Authority.

(Also, you can't force a release anymore? I invaded Bavaria to make them drop Franken, and that option's greyed out.)

I don't know if it has changed, but you can only release vassals if you are not involved in any war.

to your 2nd question: Perhaps there is already a Franken? Force release vassals work fine with me.

I've got EU3 Complete. Playing as Portugal (on Easy)

How do you know where a strait is located? I've looked and looked and can't see any graphical/textual indication of the ones near Malacca or Bosporus? If it's not possible then is there a list of all straits in the game?

Still a bit confused about trade tariffs from Overseas provinces - an example would be really helpful. Say I have two IDENTICAL provinces but one is Overseas and the other is not - how do these two compare in Monthly and Annual Income?

Do you get a reward for completing a Crusade?

I have some populous provinces in Java that are not my culture. They have 0 Manpower - I assume that's because they get -50% for different culture and -50% for Overseas? How can I increase the Manpower in these provinces?

Is there a way to "trade maps" with another country?

Great game BTW - I think I've put in over 40 hours in my first game and there's still a long way to go...

Did they have a few cavalry in that "or a bit more"? Up to 4 cavalry in an army can flank the end of your line (two on either side). Your two end units might be essentially fighting 3 to 1 odds against. It's my favorite military formation. I like to count the size of the army I want to kill and send in an equal number of infantry regiments plus 4 cavalry units. Rolls them up like paper. Their end units fall out first from morale exhaustion then I suddenly have two infantry in reserve to keep the fight going. Their line then keeps shrinking until they run.

I think that was it. The main army I was fighting was 18,000 cavalry, 1000 infantry and 2000 artillery. I haven't really paid attention to troop movement in the middle of the battle screen but I think I will read up about it, there wouldn't be a maneouver attribute if it wasn't important.

I went back in with more equalised armies (apart from the above which was always going to have more cavalry). The war started of with Bohemia with 65,000 troops and me with 47,000 troops. Luckily their above army was stuck in Slavonia, a Bohemian province away from their mainland so I went in and steamrolled them and they had nowhere to run so I killed them all for a loss of a few thousand men which equalled the numbers straight away. With my better made armies the infantry advantage shone through and after a few months I had a 10,000 troop advantage but all with low morale from constant fighting. I halted my troops to regain morale and then did the final push and destroyed all their troops and took all their provinces for a 100% warscore.

I couldn't take any of their provinces as I am trying to get my infamy down but I took the trade Casius Belli to weaken them rather than conquer them. So I forced them to make Silesia, Pommeneria, Thuringia and the Teutonic order sovereign nations (I needed some more friends in the Empire too) and to take cores off of me and my faithful ally Brandenburg. They have now shrunk by 1/3rd and lost their 65,000 force. Good job :)

One thing which has been bothering me is that they had no money to give me in the peace treaty (despite it being a trade war) and all their offers before I took all their provinces were for a measly amount of ducats (like 40 - 50) but 5 or 6 provinces. That must mean that they have no money. Yet once peace is made Bohemia is rapidly building up their forces again, how?

The same with Bavaria, 3 times I have taken them over, destroyed all their armies and taken all their money yet they have a 20,000 force again very quickly after peace is made. Bavaria only has 3 provinces though so how can they afford to non stop build up their forces again to max whilst teching normally if they have no money?

Yxklyx- When you click on a province you can see in the bottom right-hand side a small icon which looks like a red arrow, hover the mouse over it and it shows the strait. This icon is not in provinces without a strait. Click on Estland and find the icon, now you know where to look for it in other provinces.
You don't get a reward for completing a crusade, but you do get a reward while fighting in a crusade. I get a popup when I'm on crusade which shows the benefits. They include stability, papal influence, morale, and some other things IIRC.
Not sure what you can do about the Javan provinces. Especially with colonial empires you can find yourself with low manpower. Just be careful with your manpower, don't recruit a ton of soldiers during or right before you expect a war, try to have a full pool.
There is no way to trade maps, but the knowledge of the map spreads between neighbours after about 50 years (this is a toggle you can change in the options when you begin a game, to make it happen later or earlier)

Blackadder V- The AI takes loans and mints money to rebuild their forces after a war, I'd imagine. They often end up with high inflation which does reduce their increase of technology in the long-term. Another thing is that they often go bankrupt. This reduces their stability and basically leads to the ruin of a country. Last time I fought France it wasn't 5 years after the peace deal that it fractured into about 6 different states due to rebels. So, defeating an enemy in a war, even if you actually gain very little, does accomplish the goal of weakening the country. Since power on the international stage is generally a zero-sum game (When others become weaker, you are stronger, even if you haven't made one step to strengthening), this is a good thing.

Is there a way to have your ships in a stack be automatically sorted by type and damage?

What's the best way to increase the value of your CoT? Marketplaces? Doesn't the Marketplace just give a flat fee - so you're better off putting them in colonies that have more of a trade good instead of higher valued goods?

For the achievement "Isn't this the way to India?" Do I really need to be Spain, ain't it enough with being Castille?
+ Do I need to discover both south and north America?

yxklyx- No, you could do it manually only by shifting and splitting your navy.

Marketplaces increase by 10% the trade value of the province-- If I understand correctly that 9.1 trade value from your fish province (for example) is now a full 10 or so. So marketplaces are best placed where you have the highest trade value (not always based on the price of the trade good, as higher population provinces produce more of it), and ONLY in a province that is trading in a CoT where you have a monopoly.

Sorry Pompan I have it on Steam so I haven't tried the achievements yet :(

Why doesn't the Shinto Religion have any decisions available to it? was this a bug or intended? I mean, even pagan religions get a decision or 2 so this is bugging me can anyone help me out?

I'm sure this question have been answered a billion times, but due to the search button not working (only for me?) I have to ask.
How do you print a picture of the game? I know the "print screen button", but how to make a print that prints the whole map?

I'm sure this question have been answered a billion times, but due to the search button not working (only for me?) I have to ask.
How do you print a picture of the game? I know the "print screen button", but how to make a print that prints the whole map?

F12. Shift+F12 for your own territory and vassals only.

Playing as Brandenburg, was looking forward to forming Prussia.
However the Teutonic Order formed Prussia first.

If i go annex what is now "Prussia" (formally the TO) so that Prussia no longer exists, will I get the decision back to form it myself?

how do I see compete/placement chance modifier tooltips?

I recall a tooltip appeared in COT screen showing different modifiers for compete chance. (ex. if your compete chance is 50%, hold mouse over the number, and this shows up: base: 35% ruler's skill: 10% etc..)

but somehow it does not appear anymore. Did DW 5.1 patch disable it?

I want to know why my compete chance is so fluctuating all the time... please tell me how to check it in game.(and placement chance too if available.)