• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Was cultural shifting changed somehow in the new beta patch?
Culture unions can now do a shift but only if it is to a culture within their union. This means that if Azerbaijani Qara Koyunlu forms Persia for example they can still shift to Persian culture.

If I have a neighbor on the other side of a passable straight, do I still get the neighbor bonuses. For example, I'm playing as the Mamluks and I push the Ottomans out of Anatolia peninsula completely, will I still get the neighbor bonuses because we are connected across the Straights of Marmara?

Yes you should still be neighbours in that regard. In a recent LAN game we realized the Byzantine player lost his Latin tech group neighbour and couldnt westernize and we couldnt figure out why, until we realized it was because he had annexed The Knights. So straits seem to work completely like land borders.

Follow-up question: If he released The Knights as vassals, would they become latin tech again?

Can non-european provinces produce cardinals?
Yes. Although teh likelyhood of a cardinal is still dependent on their base tax (and other national modifiers that increase or reduce or your likelyhood of getting cardinals, like badboy, papal states relations, etc).

Culture unions can now do a shift but only if it is to a culture within their union. This means that if Azerbaijani Qara Koyunlu forms Persia for example they can still shift to Persian culture.
That brings a bit of a problem with Crusader states.

Yes. Although teh likelyhood of a cardinal is still dependent on their base tax (and other national modifiers that increase or reduce or your likelyhood of getting cardinals, like badboy, papal states relations, etc).
I haven't seen any Cardinal from Overseas provinces so far.

Wiki says no though? And I've never seen it.

will they change so rebelhunting is region-based in the beta patch? (for huuuuge empires)

I've just thought of something ... the AI isn't bound by the same rules as human played countriesin a lot of fields in this game.

you can't move your capital in or out the HRE
but can some of your vassal move its capital if you give it some chunks of north America? like Bremen which is OPM ...

I'm playing as Naples, trying to form Italy. My economy is a serious problem; I have about 8% inflation and have to mint about a fourth of my budget, leaving me at a slight technological disadvantage. Trading doesn't work well because Naples starts out with quite a bit of Mercantilism. Naples starts out decentralized too, so tax isn't very good. What can I do?

I've just thought of something ... the AI isn't bound by the same rules as human played countriesin a lot of fields in this game.

you can't move your capital in or out the HRE
but can some of your vassal move its capital if you give it some chunks of north America? like Bremen which is OPM ...

I doubt you can give Bremen north american provinces.

Yeah , i tested different things , editing the save , but those vassals wouldn't move it to NA even given 8 provinces with cores and culture , etc (and them removed from HRE)
I have a few days to imagine a scheme to get one vassal to relocate there , like Portugal often does if they are reduced to Lisboa.
selling a province to Malacca or any non-european country so they won't change the culture, won't allow me to sponsor nationalists , only patriots , so this don't work either.

Once they have accepted one, they will have very likely to recieve other provinces adjacent.

I don't see why you couldn't. However, I think the AI is unable to move capitals inside or outside the HRE, just like players. It really doesn't break that many rules.
I have seen an HRE elector move its capital via the AI's magic "move my capital under duress" rules (that don't require maxed stability and a thousand ducats).

To Mozambique.