• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, let me explain in a bit more detail. My Russia has 420k manpower (with no manpower buildings). I am full defensive because my faction stretches from Murmansk to Ruthenia, from Constantinople down to Jerusalem, and then all the way into the area above India and up to Kutch. It is gigantic. I'm running armies that are trying to compete with enemies that have high discipline and my main enemy, France, has a country that is just as strong, minus my superior economy. I rely on superior forts and the ability to never bleed out to defeat my enemies in this particular game. I just needed a way to get around France's bloody 120% discipline that it uses against me.

So, I'll use arty in stacks behind my front line armies (because we generally have huge front lines).... but even though I we're on about 30+ land tech for everyone, I still wonder about the cavalry bit for other games. Is it better to have 10 infantry + 8 cavalry in an army or 14 infantry + 4 cavalry (assuming that I can afford either)?

Well cavalry make better shock damage, and eastern cavalry, can beat western infantry+artilery, aspecialy if it got artilery on their own side. Still if it is 30+ lt, it does not matter, as the western :
Code:
27	Gallop Cavalry	0	0	4	2	4	2
Wins with best eastern at this tech :
Code:
26	Southern Cossacks	2	2	3	2	3	3
Code:
32	Winged Hussars	0	0	4	1	5	2
32	Cossack Cavalry	3	2	2	2	4	3

Well, Cossacks, at least are able to win with infantry due to their fire defence.

Also, cavalry shock modifire is 4. Dots are dice modifires, and dice cannot be higher than 12, and if it is lower than 0, then it is changed to 2^dice. Damage = (dice + modifires) * tech modifire * 6, which mean, that cavalry does much more damage on higher rolls to infantry, that infantry to cavalry.

Code:
28	Reformed Tercio	4	4	2	4	5	6
28	Gustavian Infantry	5	4	4	3	7	5
28	Highlanders Infantry	3	4	6	3	8	4
34	Grenzer Infantry	3	4	2	6	6	8
34	Caroline Infantry	6	4	5	4	8	6
34	Line Infantry	5	5	4	4	7	7

Last edited:
So, don't use cavalry armies after land tech 30ish? Kk. That means that I can use all Latin Knights early game, if I wanted?

No, this mean : Don't use eastern cavalry after LT 27. Use western cavalry instead as it is better from this tech on. Easter cavalry is better from LT 10 to 22, and at level 26 for 1LT level.

But cavalry is good to use in armies, in like 40%-50%, but in size smaller than 50%, for combined arms bonus. Only as western tech, from LT 13 to LT 22, it does not worth to use cavalry in armies, but it is beacause western tech, got crappy latin knights, instead of decent cavalry.

what are the pros and cons of different heretics within the main religions? i.e., catholic vs. protestant vs. reformed vs. orthodox, and sunni vs. shiite?

Well, you can get higher pop with heretics if you use certain NI's, but other than that, it is only bad, as each intolerance point increase revolt risk, and decrease taxes by 10%.

Well, the problem in this that this means non muslims, get eaten by GH, which is unhistorical.
Fairly easy to mod this though; just increase these numbers in defines.txt:
Code:
	3			#_DDEF_NOMAD_OCCUPATION_BUILDING_LOSS_MONTHS_ (months until a building is destroyed by the nomads)
	36		#_DDEF_NOMAD_MIN_OCCUPATION_TO_OWNERSHIP_MONTHS_
	12		#_DDEF_NOMAD_MIN_OCC_TO_OWN_CORE_MONTHS_
I think this was mainly added because people wanted to actually play the hordes and wanted to have some way to expand even if it wasn't historical.

True that. But if hordes would be just like in IN, it would be more reasonable. Only thing, that could be changed, would be splitting tatars into more cultures in tatar culture group, so they would be more possible to split into smaller nations. And GH should be formable nation for tatar cultures being their culture union.

As the Austrian's, I vassilised Burgundy to secure the inheritance as per the mission. Is there an inheritance chain of events or will I have to diplo annex them?
I'm thinking that I would have been better off looking to form a PU with them as they have a few provinces that are within the empire and only burgundy has cores(so no releaseing minors) which would mean I would get a sizeable unlawful territory penalty.

As the Austrian's, I vassilised Burgundy to secure the inheritance as per the mission. Is there an inheritance chain of events or will I have to diplo annex them?
I'm thinking that I would have been better off looking to form a PU with them as they have a few provinces that are within the empire and only burgundy has cores(so no releaseing minors) which would mean I would get a sizeable unlawful territory penalty.

Well i think you would be better with PU, as it would give you cores all over it. Don't think there is a mission to do it...

Hey, If I colonize island I will start getting core immediately or after it become City?
The 50 year countdown for a core begins once you have your first successful colonists
However you won't be able to see the usual shield showing you when it will become a core until it becomes a city. The countdown is still running though.

No mission to inherit Burgundy specifically, just the generic annex vassal mission that gives you one core on the target.
There is a mission to force them into a union though (which won't fire when they are a vassal).

How do I get the "build glorious monument" decision? I have all the requirements listed here but it still doesn't show up. I'm playing as the hansa, I have over 2k ducats, 5 magistrates, base tax in lubeck is 13 and is my national focus, and it has hannoverian culture which is also my main culture. The state and province religion are both reformed. Why isn't the decision showing? Is there a way to trigger it manually?

How do I get the "build glorious monument" decision? I have all the requirements listed here but it still doesn't show up. I'm playing as the hansa, I have over 2k ducats, 5 magistrates, base tax in lubeck is 13 and is my national focus, and it has hannoverian culture which is also my main culture. The state and province religion are both reformed. Why isn't the decision showing? Is there a way to trigger it manually?
The tag on that page notes that it is not yet updated for Divine Wind; in DW this decision no longer exists. There is a "glorious monument" building but it doesn't have the same effects.

One - I'm the Roman Empire and currently the Holy Roman Emperor. Yet I can't enforce religious unity. Why is that?

Second - Does the fact I have about 17.3 infamy reduce my chances to centralize the HRE under the True Emperor?

One - I'm the Roman Empire and currently the Holy Roman Emperor. Yet I can't enforce religious unity. Why is that?

Second - Does the fact I have about 17.3 infamy reduce my chances to centralize the HRE under the True Emperor?

1. A couple of reasons. First, you may not be Catholic. Second, your target may already be Catholic. Those are, as far as I know, the only reason enforce religious unity would not appear.

2. Electors will like you less if you have high infamy; I'm not sure whether it affects reform chances or not.

1. A couple of reasons. First, you may not be Catholic. Second, your target may already be Catholic. Those are, as far as I know, the only reason enforce religious unity would not appear.

2. Electors will like you less if you have high infamy; I'm not sure whether it affects reform chances or not.

Well it seems even with they're my ally and I have them at 200 relationship, they still won't vote for the reform. Only my vassals, PUs and some others will actually vote for me.

I either think it's because solely due to religious difference (Orthodox and Catholic) or because my Infamy bar is so high.