• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What does "historical_friend = ARA" in history files (Portugal in this case) do?

If the emperor is also an elector of the HRE and is the only independent elector left, do you need to vassalize him too in order to dismantle the hre? Or do you just need to control his capital?

Technically for any elector you can just occupy the capital instead of vassalizing.

So I'd need to reduce their number of provinces?
Yes. If you take enough provinces in a separate war or make them release some vassals you should be able to vassalize (or annex).

No I mean will they refuse to reform when you attempt to pass a reform?

It doesn't help that most of the states hate me but even those that like me (and aren't my vassal) they won't pass the reform.

I know tax income vassals doesn't give added tax, but what about manpower? If my vassal builds army buildings do I get half of that extra manpower?

Was wondering if someone could PM me what changes the next patch will make (info about beta patch anyhow). I'm on probation so can't access that and I'm curious

Only forcelimit. Thou being emperor give manpower, then being HRE and having all HRE vassalized = massive forcelimit. Not like it is quite possible to make it to your forcelimit easily, if you don't have great yearly income.

Why does being at war with a horde count as peace in the monthly war exhaustion?

Why when Golden Horde occupied a province it became their own soon after (within THEIR borders)? In my previous game they simply occupy it and then demand tribute - they never annexed. This time they capture them without any peace deal - occupy and after few months - it's theirs. Is this normal?

I'm new to this game, so I don't know :)

Why when Golden Horde occupied a province it became their own soon after (within THEIR borders)? In my previous game they simply occupy it and then demand tribute - they never annexed. This time they capture them without any peace deal - occupy and after few months - it's theirs. Is this normal?

I'm new to this game, so I don't know :)

They changed the hordes?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean :p

Ok, according EU3 wiki:

"Hordes - Cannot win or lose provinces normally. Instead, civilized neighbors may colonize provinces that they control. If a settlement reaches 1000 people it defects. In 5.1 and onward, if a horde controls a civilized province for a long enough period, it will defect to the horde."

But I haven't seen such behaviour in my previous games... In previous game they somethimes occupied enemy province for years and nothing happened. Right now they took two already...

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean :p

Ok, according EU3 wiki:

"Hordes - Cannot win or lose provinces normally. Instead, civilized neighbors may colonize provinces that they control. If a settlement reaches 1000 people it defects. In 5.1 and onward, if a horde controls a civilized province for a long enough period, it will defect to the horde."

But I haven't seen such behaviour in my previous games... In previous game they somethimes occupied enemy province for years and nothing happened. Right now they took two already...

The provinces can't defect before all buildings in the province are destroyed. A building is destroyed every 3 months or so, so a built up province will take longer to defect to the hordes.

Tell me, how exactly does the cavalry/infantry lineup in battles work? Say I'm using a Westernized Russia and I still have superior Eastern Cavalry and western infantry, should I still have a high ratio of cavalry or is it better just to have a few to work on the flanks?

Also, I'm playing a multiplayer game where I've got a large Russia that is defensive and fairly low on discipline (104%). To make up for this, would it be better to have a lot of extra artillery in my armies (for the firepower bonus) or to just make more regular armies?

Well, actualy first thing: Russia does not realy need very high discipline(it need manpower and additional supply more than big damage in battles), and if you realy need it, take militia act and change gov to empire(additional morale)-absolute monarchy(+5% discipline).

Also, until LT 22 or 27(at those techs, western cavalry become better than eastern - at 27 western cavalry become best cavalry in all techs except indian) - use eastern cavalry, and if you got latin army tech, use 40%-50% of cavalry compared to infantry(but less than 50%). Also - use artilery support stacks, behind your armies, and when big battle is going to start, bring them into. Artilery stacks, make great siege stacks... but they are slow. Don't use artilery, against low tech, or in places where distance between provinces is long, because it will take forever to take them. Also, when your army withdraw, and you got artilery in it - leave it, better to just lose artilery, than whole army.

EDIT: Also, when enemy is too strong, use scorched earth tactic.