• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm pretty sure the Papal States are like any other faction, except the excommunication thing. If you have <100 relations with the Papal States, you may be excommunicated, but other than that it wouldn't be different to vassalize any other Italian minor.

What, generally, happens if you're the Holy Roman Empire and decide to either vassalize the Papal state to diplo-annex or just flat out conquer them?

Do you remain an Empire or get reverted to an actual Papacy due to the lack of a theocracy?

The only way to switch to a theocracy is to do it yourself. If you are one, though, you can become the Papal State if the old one is annexed. And there's nothing strange about vassalizing them.

Centre of trades keep being built automatically in my empire - why and how do i stop it. I littrally just closed one at the cost of 20 prestige and it just reopened!!

That's odd. CoTs in your country should not be autocreated -- I'd report it as a bug.

That's odd. CoTs in your country should not be autocreated -- I'd report it as a bug.

They certainly can if your provinces trade through someone else's CoT.

They certainly can if your provinces trade through someone else's CoT.
Indeed in the original release of EU3 that was the only way CoTs were created and this feature was never removed. They just added the ability to create and destroy CoTs manually.

I need general to make use of NI Excellent Shipwrights?
The NI will add to the maneuver value of any admirals or explorers you hire. Any existing leaders or any fleets without leaders are not affected.

hello. i am in goverment level 5 and i just got a massage that i can make colonies .yet all around atlantic ocean- except to near to africa and europe -sea area is covered and i can not go further. Even to canary islands i can not land . Do i miss something in order to make colonies? i play as england Thank you in advance.

hello. i am in goverment level 5 and i just got a massage that i can make colonies .yet all around atlantic ocean- except to near to africa and europe -sea area is covered and i can not go further. Even to canary islands i can not land . Do i miss something in order to make colonies? i play as england Thank you in advance.

That covered sea area is called "terra incognito." It's latin for "hidden earth" and it means you have not, nor has anyone else for the last 25/50 (depending on what your options are) years, sailed there. In order to colonize and uncover Terra Incognito, you need to adopt the national idea "Quest for the New World." This National Idea allows you to hire Explorers (to lead your navy in the place of admirals) and Conquistadors (to lead your armies in the place of generals). Explorers are the only way your navy can discover sea incognito, and Conquistadors are the only way you can discover land incognito (apart from some function about wars, which I don't really remember) without waiting for others to discover it first.

So basically, adopt QFTNW NI, hire an admiral, attach him to your navy, and sail him out into terra incognito. Watch your attrition rate, because if your ship's maintenance hits zero, it sinks.

Two quick questions:

How do my troops board ships when ships are in port?

When I am the papal controller or the pope, how do I influence cardinals, cause excommunication etc.

ta

You may not board ships at port, for all I know. Sail it out to sea and march your army into the sea. XD
I don't really know for sure, but I'm fairly sure that if any Catholic nation has relations less than 100 (it might be zero, I don't know) you can click "Excommunicate" in the diplomatic settings with that nation where you'd find Declare War and such.

Also, my question:
Is conquering North Africa worth it, or will it just bring RR and drag down my research?

Last edited:
I do believe the answer is 'yes' - though I am not very familiar with this event, the other one by the name of 'Architectural Development' (which is also mentioned on that wiki page) fired for me 3 times in 100 years.
Thanks. They are in the same file so that would be a good comparison. I thought I was reading the code correctly, but I was curious if there was some hidden tag I wasn't aware of. Fairly powerful series of events...

every time i get an event, like border friction, which is supposed to give me a casus belli, when i go to declare war, it says no casus belli ... in fact, under no circumstances do i ever seem to have a casus belli ... what am i missing?