• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But you suffer less attrition in your own provinces, and get higher reinforcements...
Yes but attrition still exists there. Many people in the past have been under the mistaken impressions that you don't get any attrition in home provinces or don't get any attrition during peacetime.

Yes but attrition still exists there. Many people in the past have been under the mistaken impressions that you don't get any attrition in home provinces or don't get any attrition during peacetime.

Thats true. You just got bigger support limit in your own provinces actualy... but same attrition - just you ussualy don't get it, or just get much smaller than the enemy.

I was playing a MP game with a friend once and we were going to go to war and he realized he had only 5k manpower, because he had all his army in 35k+ stacks in only a few provinces.

This has probably been answered a million times, but should I install the latest beta patch before starting a new game?

I've never used the beta patches before, but if it makes the game better, and isn't too buggy I'll probably give it a shot.

This has probably been answered a million times, but should I install the latest beta patch before starting a new game?

I've never used the beta patches before, but if it makes the game better, and isn't too buggy I'll probably give it a shot.

The answer is almost always yes. I'd read the changelog and decide from there.

The answer is almost always yes. I'd read the changelog and decide from there.

Well the previous one (19 march) had a pretty annoying bug regarding the ledger, that spoiled the fun for me. But I agree that in general, Paradox's betas are generally just nice early patches.

Usually Paradox betas are about as good as a normal release and when they aren't they are fixed within a day or two. In this case I wouldn't install the beta unless you want to help test. If you just want to play you should probably stick to 5.1 a bit longer. I expect the next beta will be pretty much release-quality though.

Is there a way in IN to not call allies when I declare war?

Also is Patron of the Arts good in IN? Will it help me westernize faster?

There's a small circle on the DoW screen on the bottom left that says "automatically call allies." Deselect it. (This is in DW, not sure if it's in IN)
Patron of the Arts raises cultural tradition, which will allow you to take some decisions that requires cultural tradition faster. I'm not sure if Westernization requires a certain cultural tradition; if so, PotA should help.
Cultural tradition also allows you to choose an advisor to put in the advisor pool. If you have a high cultural tradition (70% + or so) the chances of getting a good advisor are higher.

My question:
As Holland, I have 5 merchants in many, many COTs. I recently unlocked monopolies and started sending extra merchants around. Now, my trade income is horrible with 6 merchants in some COTs, and it's fluctuating between 54 d/yr and -150 d/yr. It seems completely random, with each month giving me a different result. I was better off with five merchants per COT. What's happening?

Last edited:
In IN, you cannot chose to NOT call allies. Also, Patron of Arts is one of the best IN decisions => +2 prestige yearly*(cultural tradition is in HTTT so no cultural tradition in IN)? you joke? And the super uber events?

Well... it is impossible that you gain less from more merchant unless the trade centre vaules change. There might be a big war before - and it made iron prices higher, and now it ended so you gain less. Also did you lost any merchants from cot's? If so - you got an answer. This is just so, that prices of some things fluctuate, new cot's might appear.

No new COTs were created, and I didn't lose any merchants. In all honesty, I bombed to like -150/yr after getting monopolies.

Also, what are the best places to colonize in the new world? I'm playing as Holland and want to take Manhatten-New England and then the richest places that won't bomb my teching rate. Can anyone name some good provinces?

Also, what are the best places to colonize in the new world? I'm playing as Holland and want to take Manhatten-New England and then the richest places that won't bomb my teching rate. Can anyone name some good provinces?

All of the Caribbean.

So even if the number in the topright of the army screen is green, it still causes WE? I thought it was good, and how armies replenish. But that's just my limited knowledge of the game. :unsure:
If the number in the corner is green, that means you're suffering that much attrition, but that your typical resupply gives you more soldiers back than what you're losing in attrition. Eg. you're losing 1,137 soldiers a month to attrition, but your army in that province resupplies at 2,000 men per month. This can kill your country's overall manpower, if, using the previous example, your country only gains 600 manpower a month.

EDIT: Hovering over that number should pop up a tooltip which will tell you both now many men your army is losing and how much the army is resupplying each month.

Last edited:
Is that it?
The Caribbean is the best, but southeastern South America (Argentina/Uruguay/Southern Brazil) can be pretty good- especially if you get good production items (wine, copper); but sometimes it ends up being a bunch of grain. The eastern tip of SA can be decent, too- as most of your production there will be Coffee and sugar (with some naval supplies and a sometimes a random gold sprinkled in).

Is that it?

There are also some very nice colonies on the Eastern Seaboard of the United States, base tax wise -- most of New England (i.e. Manhattan and the surrounding area) is quite wealthy.

What, generally, happens if you're the Holy Roman Empire and decide to either vassalize the Papal state to diplo-annex or just flat out conquer them?

Do you remain an Empire or get reverted to an actual Papacy due to the lack of a theocracy?