• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
From what I understand, they do this a lot in every game. They didn't stop doing it to me until I conquered their CoT. ;)

I have a question. How do you excommunicate someone as the Papal Controller? I can't find the option anywhere.

it's among the other diplomatic actions (declare war, royal marriage etc.) - the very last of them IIRC. however the target must have low Papal Influence and relations worse than +100 with the Papal State to allow you doing that.

How does inheriting one's throne work? Does it happen automatically after a certain amount of time?
How are "natural rivals" and "threats" determined?

Last edited:
Well it's three quick questions. Why can't I ally with France, will tariff efficiency suck, and does BB hurt merchants?

1) First, which country are you? What is your relationship with France? (the higher the better) Are you currently in a war? (if so ==> it's not possible to form an alliance, make peace first) Do you have shared goals? (for example if you own a province France has a core on, it will make things a lot harder). Are you allied with one of his rivals? (that will decrease the chance as well)

2) Just make sure that you have enough ships to cover all your sealanes and get the viceroy national idea if you have lots of colonies, and it will not suck that much. Most of the income generated from colonies is from trading anyway, so make sure you create CoT´s in your newly acquired lands and monopolize them :)

3) yep.

Why does positive attrition make you war weary? Shouldn't it only be negative attrition?

How do I get the HRE to pass my reforms?

How do find a random nation's War Capacity?

Unless you're at war with them, you can't. I'm not sure what it entails, but you can find out the size of any army or navy through the ledger, which is all that really matters.

Did you know about this page: http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Main_Page . Check out the reference guides.
Btw there's no such thing as positive attrition
So even if the number in the topright of the army screen is green, it still causes WE? I thought it was good, and how armies replenish. But that's just my limited knowledge of the game. :unsure:

I've never understood the War Capacity, and since I'm pretty sure that I've won wars after starting out with 0% war capacity, I'm not in much hurry to figure it out (even wiki does not list all factors). The most important numbers are tech levels, manpower and actual troop numbers. The ledger will tell you what the tech levels and current troop numbers are, but only seems to report maximum manpower - or updates it infrequently. Your enemy usually has all of their troops in a few "doomstacks". That makes it easy to monitor troop numbers and movement. I can win wars against nations with twice my tech - because I do it carefully.
Tip: If you can afford it, "Infiltrate Administration" is a powerful tool against large nations.

Attrition is how much you suffer in foreign territory, specifically how many men you will lose to starvation, disease, scwewwy wabbits, ect. Think of Napoleon or the Germans invading Russia in winter. Attrition is never positive because you never GAIN people through attrition. You can make up those losses through resupply/reinforcement, but attrition can be much higher than your resupply.
Note: EU3's notation for gain/loss seems inconsistent sometimes. Typically green is gain and red is loss, but then you can have negative green/red numbers and would have to think about what that really means.

Last edited:
When at peace do you need full maintenance on your land forces for them to get reinforcements?
You need *some* maintenance to resupply at all. The amount of resupply scales with the maintenance slider. If you're at peace, a low setting of 10-15% is enough to reinforce your armies gradually. With some experimentation you'll find a setting you are happy with.

Edit: Corrected for misleading information (attrition).

Last edited:
, but if they are standing in your home territory, they do not suffer attrition.
This is not true. You can suffer attrition in any province.