• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Again I have a small problem that I hope to solve by little modding. Is there any easy way to:

(a)Disable war exhaustion from attrition in friendly provinces when in 'war' with hordes.
(b)Disable war exhaustion from attrition completely when in 'war' with hordes.
(c)Disable war exhaustion from attrition completely.

It's extremely annoying when you get war exhaustion from attrition while you slowly colonize hordes. I'd prefer a>b>c.
Don't remember seeing easy in defines.txt or static.txt that would do what you want. Might ask in the mod sub-forum. I'm sure you could tailor an event, but might not meet the "easy" criteria.

Easy = Event 727 or Event 860 from the console can remediate the problem.

I've noticed in my current game that Flanders are in a personal union with both myself (Hesse) and Ansbach. How did this happen and what are the consequences of it? Is it still possible to inherit? Might Ansbach do so?

If potentially bad, how do I get out of it?

There are a few ways this could happen. One way is that they were in a PU with you from luck, and Ansbach got into a war with Flanders while you weren't in the war and PU'd them. If that's the case, your facing some serious game instability, because that really shouldn't happen.

Are you sure you and Ansbach aren't also in a PU with each other?

Edit: It may also be possible that Ansbach was the junior in a PU with Flanders before you became the senior in a different PU with Flanders. I don't think this works, as I'm pretty sure the former would break upon the latter becoming reality, but maybe not.

There are a few ways this could happen. One way is that they were in a PU with you from luck, and Ansbach got into a war with Flanders while you weren't in the war and PU'd them. If that's the case, your facing some serious game instability, because that really shouldn't happen.

Are you sure you and Ansbach aren't also in a PU with each other?

Edit: It may also be possible that Ansbach was the junior in a PU with Flanders before you became the senior in a different PU with Flanders. I don't think this works, as I'm pretty sure the former would break upon the latter becoming reality, but maybe not.

I thought of a way it might have happened. Asbach were my vassal but I was forced to release them. I declared war with a Claim on Throne CB, is it possible that Ansbach joined in as they were allied, then made seperate peace for the union, then I finished the war and did so too?

I'm sure I'm not PUed with Ansbach myself. If I go to Flanders it says "In a personal union with Hesse and Ansbach."

I thought of a way it might have happened. Asbach were my vassal but I was forced to release them. I declared war with a Claim on Throne CB, is it possible that Ansbach joined in as they were allied, then made seperate peace for the union, then I finished the war and did so too?

I'm sure I'm not PUed with Ansbach myself. If I go to Flanders it says "In a personal union with Hesse and Ansbach."

Ah, yes, I do believe we have a winner. That seems the most likely explanation. The easiest way around it is just to PU or vassalize Ansbach. Otherwise, whoever inherits first keeps Flanders.

Do you get infamy cost for annexing your PU?

If you manually integrate your junior partner in a PU (only possible 50 years after the PU was established), you will get an infamy hit, I think one per province. If you inherit them then there's no infamy.

In my game as Bohemia, I am in a succession war with Ireland (over Scotland's throne.) What will it take for me to get Scotland's throne?

HI,

For whatever reason, my Victoria II changed to window screen when I recently started up. Even though I checked in setting.txt to make sure the fullscreen mode is "yes", the game is still running as window screen. Any help/explanation?

In my game as Bohemia, I am in a succession war with Ireland (over Scotland's throne.) What will it take for me to get Scotland's throne?

You'll essentially form a PU if you're successful. The cost varies depending on the size of the territory; click the "sue for peace" button to find out the exact costs.

HI,

For whatever reason, my Victoria II changed to window screen when I recently started up. Even though I checked in setting.txt to make sure the fullscreen mode is "yes", the game is still running as window screen. Any help/explanation?

You should post that in the Victoria II forums.

As Holland, I have 3-4 infamy from annexing some neighbor who attacked me (forgot the name). Other than that, I've been carefully working up my teching and trading game and building whatever provinces I could in my four regions. However, no major powers, such as France, will ally with me, who I need for protection from Burgundy who has recently cancelled military access. Our relations are at 200, we have a royal marriage and we have mutual military access, but France still won't ally with me. Have I wasted all of those gifts??

tl;dr = even if I'm at the best possible relations of 200 with France, they won't ally with me.

Also, I plan to start colonizing as soon as I hit my second NI and Trade 7, but my force limits for navies are, like, 17. Does this mean colonies won't be worthwhile due to tariff efficiency, and I'll be throwing money down the drain?

One more question (sorry for annoying you guys): Will my merchants suffer from a high BB if I get it? I have five merchants in six or seven COTs. What's the limit before my merchants start getting kicked out?

As Holland, I have 3-4 infamy from annexing some neighbor who attacked me (forgot the name). Other than that, I've been carefully working up my teching and trading game and building whatever provinces I could in my four regions. However, no major powers, such as France, will ally with me, who I need for protection from Burgundy who has recently cancelled military access. Our relations are at 200, we have a royal marriage and we have mutual military access, but France still won't ally with me. Have I wasted all of those gifts??

tl;dr = even if I'm at the best possible relations of 200 with France, they won't ally with me.

Also, I plan to start colonizing as soon as I hit my second NI and Trade 7, but my force limits for navies are, like, 17. Does this mean colonies won't be worthwhile due to tariff efficiency, and I'll be throwing money down the drain?

One more question (sorry for annoying you guys): Will my merchants suffer from a high BB if I get it? I have five merchants in six or seven COTs. What's the limit before my merchants start getting kicked out?

Well i think you should do a thread about it, as it is not a quick question.

Maybe France sees you as a threat or rival, or they might have a mission against you. Another possibility is that they dislike you because you own some of their cores.

Tariff efficiency won't suck, just build more ships when necessary (1 big or light ship per colonial province). You can normally afford to go over the naval force limit quite a bit, more so than with the land force limit. Build naval buildings and, capture more coastal provinces or take a national idea to increase your naval force limit.

BB does hurt merchants in foreign COTs. It's gradual.

Maybe France sees you as a threat or rival, or they might have a mission against you. Another possibility is that they dislike you because you own some of their cores.

Tariff efficiency won't suck, just build more ships when necessary (1 big or light ship per colonial province). You can normally afford to go over the naval force limit quite a bit, more so than with the land force limit. Build naval buildings and, capture more coastal provinces or take a national idea to increase your naval force limit.

BB does hurt merchants in foreign COTs. It's gradual.

Okay, thanks. France doesn't have a mission against me, and I'm not a rival. Whatever.
What does the naval force limit do, then? Sorry, I'm still learning.
When will it start hurting my merchants? I didn't lose any when I got 9 BB from annexation. Of course, as Holland I have full free trade and a +10% compete chance advisor...

As Holland, I have 3-4 infamy ... and building whatever provinces I could in my four regions. However, no major powers, such as France, will ally with me .... I need for protection from Burgundy ... Our relations are at 200, we have a royal marriage and we have mutual military access, but France still won't ally with me.

Also, I plan to start colonizing as soon as I hit my second NI and Trade 7, but my force limits for navies are, like, 17. Does this mean colonies won't be worthwhile due to tariff efficiency, and I'll be throwing money down the drain? ... Will my merchants suffer from a high BB if I get it? ... as Holland I have full free trade and a +10% compete chance advisor...

Lets see if I can do this quickly. I can't see which game you are playing but...
Generally countries will not have more than three allies, plus their vassals and maybe some Sphere of Influence nations. I expect that your good relations with France are not enough reason for France to break its other alliances to hook up with a small fry like you. Recommendations: Don't stop trying to win over France & Burgundy. Consider Castille, England, the Hansa, Denmark (etc) and 3 province HRE nations as alternates. Watch the messages to see if/when an ally of France (etc) dishonours their alliance - and be quick to send an alliance request. I try to keep track of what my neighbor's missions are. [Also, once Burgundy cancels military access, I would build more troops!]

There are two wonderful resources for EU3. One is the EU3 Wiki, and the other is this monster thread, which is searchable. I will often search this thread or the entire EU3 forum before creating a new thread. That link shows the many nifty things that infamy can do to you. Based on what you've said, your Trade advisor is covering the penalty that you are getting from infamy - which is -1% compete chance per point of infamy. Your infamy is also hurting your diplomacy, which could be getting in the way of your search for a large ally - but I don't think infamy is having a big affect on your diplomacy issues.

Your Naval force limit is how many ships your national resources can (normally) support. If you build more ships than your force limit, there is a penalty to maintenance costs for them, but the penalty is only financial for exceeding this. (If I am a nation who finally got a core on a beach-province, I'm going to build more than my allotted 1 ship, and eat the penalty.) For the colony question, see "overseas tariffs" in the EU3 wiki. I've not yet had colonial empires in my games. Also, you should use your current game as a learning experience. Save often - especially just before major decisions, but respond to any marriage requests, call to arms, etc. before saving, or in the save game you will have auto-declined.

Is there any way to stop Spain from trolling me with trade embargo every month?
Something tells me that gifting relations up to 200 wont work. It will probably just drop in a few years time anyway.

Is there any way to stop Spain from trolling me with trade embargo every month?
Something tells me that gifting relations up to 200 wont work. It will probably just drop in a few years time anyway.

From what I understand, they do this a lot in every game. They didn't stop doing it to me until I conquered their CoT. ;)

I have a question. How do you excommunicate someone as the Papal Controller? I can't find the option anywhere.