• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have you actually tried to declare war? I've declared war on a member of my sphere of influence dozens of times and never had any problem with that.

Anyway - to get nations out of you sphere you could try dropping your prestige below -15. That should enable an event where you lose one of the members of your sphere.

The "declare war" is grayed out.
I don't think I have the time to let my prestige drop below -15.. Since I'm still rushing the last parts of Asia. And I'm in ~1740.

The "declare war" is grayed out.
I don't think I have the time to let my prestige drop below -15.. Since I'm still rushing the last parts of Asia. And I'm in ~1740.

Are you allied with them? Do you have a regency? Are you Ming? Are you at -3 stability? These are the usual causes of not being able to declare war.

Edit: I just realised that the easiest way to get someone out of your sphere would be to offer releasing them from your sphere in a peace deal.

Last edited:
If country is in your sphere of influence, it won't prevent you from declaring war on it. It will only prevent other countries from doing it(and prevent from some diplomatic actions with this country), if they have truce with you. It won't prevent them from this action if they DOES NOT HAVE TRUCE with you, but if they do it will give you causus belli. Having a country in sphere of influence have NO negative effect, except that every such country increase cost of bringing more countries to your sphere of influence. Don't answering call of country in your sphere of influence, that is not your ally or vassal, do not bring loss of prestige, or anything else, but if this country is an OPM, it might get annexed, and so you will lose a country in sphere of influence.

You can only lose a country in sphere of influence if:
It will get annexed
It will become too powerfull/too big/too strong economicaly in comapare to you - i am not sure if prestige count. I think not.
Country with bigger prestige add it into their sphere of influence
They will become a vassal of third country.
You will renounce them from your sphere of influence in peace deal.

Are you allied with them? Do you have a regency? Are you Ming? Are you at -3 stability? These are the usual causes of not being able to declare war.

Edit: I just realised that the easiest way to get someone out of your sphere would be to offer releasing them from your sphere in a peace deal.

If country is in your sphere of influence, it won't prevent you from declaring war on it. It will only prevent other countries from doing it(and prevent from some diplomatic actions with this country), if they have truce with you. It won't prevent them from this action if they DOES NOT HAVE TRUCE with you, but if they do it will give you causus belli. Having a country in sphere of influence have NO negative effect, except that every such country increase cost of bringing more countries to your sphere of influence. Don't answering call of country in your sphere of influence, that is not your ally or vassal, do not bring loss of prestige, or anything else, but if this country is an OPM, it might get annexed, and so you will lose a country in sphere of influence.

You can only lose a country in sphere of influence if:
It will get annexed
It will become too powerfull/too big/too strong economicaly in comapare to you - i am not sure if prestige count. I think not.
Country with bigger prestige add it into their sphere of influence
They will become a vassal of third country.
You will renounce them from your sphere of influence in peace deal.

I'm not allied with them. I don't have a regency (I'm currently waging war on others) I'm HRE. I've got +3 Stab.

But I guess I should go with the release from sphere in peace treaty thing. Thanks!

EDIT: It worked! Yay!

Last edited:
I'm not allied with them. I don't have a regency (I'm currently waging war on others) I'm HRE. I've got +3 Stab.

But I guess I should go with the release from sphere in peace treaty thing. Thanks!

Well, you could bring a screenshot of situation, and some specification, maybe do a thread as it appears to not be a question that can be quickly answered.

Should Great Britain go for full naval (Sliders, NI)?

Depending on what you want. But full naval sliders are good for the extra overseas income if you're going a colonial route.

Thinking of killing myself (by knife), any advice?

Oh, and does my probation status prevent me from writing in the general forum? Because I can't find it.

2 questions about culture:

1. How can I spread my culture to newly conquered provinces?

2. How can I get the culture acceptance event and why is it lost again at some point?

I have 1 question about culture:

I'm playing Venice in DW 5.1.
I own Albania and Zeta (Balcanic culture and with core)
and all provinces in Grece (except Achea) with greek culture (the only cored are corfu, athens and naxos).
In 1453 i gained core in thracia (ex byzantine capitol).
I moved the capital there and after recovering from the stab hit I culture-shifted to greek culture (the idea was to reform byzantine).
The only problem is that appeared a message telling me that greek culture was no longer accepted (a lot of provinces with greek culture) and that lombard culture was now accepted (only verona and venice provinces!!!).
And also there wasn't any option to form the byzantine empire...

any suggestion?