• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a question about government types: Wiki states that I can go from Absolute Monarchy to Republican Dictatorship. Yet when I want to change, option is grey and states I can't go from this government type to the other.
Is it because I'm at war?
Alternatively, is it because I have a PU, and going Republican would cancel it? In which case I'm doomed until the PU ends.
Or has this been changed and is the Wiki wrong for DW 5.1?

I have a Mac and bought EU III complete on steam but they do not have the other expansions. Will it be easy to add the other expansions if I only own complete on steam?
I fear you're quite stuck, since only EU3 complete, up to IN therefore, has been adapted to Mac.

Is there a way to help increase the spread of the reformation other than conquering others with the religious conversion war demand? ie, a peaceful way to get countries to convert or increase the speed that provinces convert at? Also, can the reformation change the religion in animist provinces that were annexed?
Having a reformed neighbouring province increases the speed of spread. So if you want to convert a neighbour without attacking, convert your border provinces first. Won't speed things that much but anything helps, I suppose.
Pagans (animists/shamanists) can be converted by any religion. It'll change their own culture as well.

I have a question about government types: Wiki states that I can go from Absolute Monarchy to Republican Dictatorship. Yet when I want to change, option is grey and states I can't go from this government type to the other....
Have you got enough stability? I am not sure whether just being positive is sufficient as you will take a -4 hit. And I suppose you have achieved government tech 28? Is going back to despotic monarchy also greyed out?

The closest thing I can think of would "Enforcing Religious Unity" if you're HRE, but that only makes people Catholic.
Not true, this makes people the religion of the Emperor.

I have a question about government types: Wiki states that I can go from Absolute Monarchy to Republican Dictatorship. Yet when I want to change, option is grey and states I can't go from this government type to the other.
Is it because I'm at war?
Alternatively, is it because I have a PU, and going Republican would cancel it? In which case I'm doomed until the PU ends.
Or has this been changed and is the Wiki wrong for DW 5.1?
This is because of the PU. Monarchies can't switch to republican forms of government if they have PUs.

This is because of the PU. Monarchies can't switch to republican forms of government if they have PUs.
Bummer, I feared it was so.
I'll have to integrate these buggers soon enough. Or I'll just edit the savegame, since for some reason I lost the ability to make this game count for achievements - even though I never modded or edited anything.

BTW, would loading an autosave (because I didn't want to go through 10 months of war) cancel achivements for an ongoing game?

I'll also have to decide which is better for a WC, between Republican Dictatorship - Imperialism CB and Republic, meaning no Regency and 6+ diplo leader - or Enlightened Despotism - Imperialism CB and -0.25 infamy/year, but with possible Regencies.
At this point, I could just reload if I get a badly-time Regency, but overall, would you think Enlightened Despotism is a better regime for world conquest while delaying the dishonorable scum push as late as possible?

I have a Mac and bought EU III complete on steam but they do not have the other expansions. Will it be easy to add the other expansions if I only own complete on steam?
I fear you're quite stuck, since only EU3 complete, up to IN therefore, has been adapted to Mac.
Not true; HttT and DW are available on MacOS, only not from Steam. You normally can't install non-Steam expansions on a Steam base game though.
You would need to get the whole package from some other distributor.

Oh, this is weird.
When I search for EU3 in Gamersgate itself, I only see EU3 Complete listed as an offer - explaining why I've never seen anything else until now.
But when I list all Mac games and go to 6th or 7th page, there's actually the whole lot displayed.

That's nice to know - though a bit buggy.

how can nations such as france or holland get to place like australia or south america? i dont think any lvl of naval tech can give them that much range

Your range is based from your nearest unblockaded core, so build a couple of colonies on the way.

However you can send your ships outside your naval range they just take attrition. It's perfectly possible to sail straight to australia if you just grab MA with Swahili and Mallaca.

Is there any way to deal with overpowered rebels in early game? I've found combats with rebels to be completely ineffective, a single stack needing often 10+ battles even when I catch rebel army in province they retreat to. Any modding tip to try? Is there a way to make rebel armies disband like regular armies when they're at zero morale and can't retreat? If that's not possible, is there an easy way to disable revolts completely?

Edit: Found the answer, just fiddling with the rebels file and changing them to not retreat and not be smart.

Last edited:
The AI doesn't have a maximum colonial range. They can colonize wherever they can see.

In my experience, the AI has the same colonial range restrictions that the player has. If you deny them the Azores and the Canaries, it will take the AI much longer to reach the Caribbean (apart from Portugal, which can reach it from their homeland at some naval tech).

To get the range for the Azores (and to be able to discover them if you're not Portugal), hurry to get trade tech 7 and then take the 'Quest for the New World' National Idea. This allows to employ explorers and gives +50% colonial range. Once you have colonised the Islands (perhaps the Cap Verdes as well), you can change the NI back to another one that deems you useful. After 50 years, the former colonies will become core provinces, allowing you to use them as a base for further colonisation.

Is there any way to deal with overpowered rebels in early game? I've found combats with rebels to be completely ineffective, a single stack needing often 10+ battles even when I catch rebel army in province they retreat to. Any modding tip to try? Is there a way to make rebel armies disband like regular armies when they're at zero morale and can't retreat? If that's not possible, is there an easy way to disable revolts completely?

Edit: Found the answer, just fiddling with the rebels file and changing them to not retreat and not be smart.

dont go centralisim at game start, in my experince its the only slider that gives such an amount.

thats what i did in my GB game, but when you look at a game and see france suddenly got to south- south america you just wonder

It's better to spam cots or have one very good cot?

New CoTs are not for nothing and the merchants to send there will also cost a lot: so the answer is quite clear: one very good CoT is fine. Though, when it goes over say 1000, it may be worth to build another one, because otherwise somebody else might do it or a CoT will spawn in a province you do not want it to be.