• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
France has a much larger military than I do (49k vs. my 30k) but they are not insulting me or anything (Relation a +79 and rising). I'm happy about this but I never expected nor truly wanted the PU to hold since it would remove all challenge and frankly France has still not absorbed it vassals so it would be a bigger hassle overall.

Anyway am I missing something? What determine if a country stays or not in a PU?
i'm not entirely sure, but a few suggestions:

Your'e not at war, are you? Lesser partners don't send insults for as long as you're both at war with someone else.

I suspect the AI looks at total military strength not just army size. Do you have a huge navy? Has France got no manpower left?

It might just be that they are using their diplomats for something else (raising relations with their vassals, maybe) and haven't got around to insulting you yet. Try saving, quitting the game (all the way to Windows) and reloading, that might reset the AI.

i'm not entirely sure, but a few suggestions:

Your'e not at war, are you? Lesser partners don't send insults for as long as you're both at war with someone else.

I suspect the AI looks at total military strength not just army size. Do you have a huge navy? Has France got no manpower left?

It might just be that they are using their diplomats for something else (raising relations with their vassals, maybe) and haven't got around to insulting you yet. Try saving, quitting the game (all the way to Windows) and reloading, that might reset the AI.

Tried that. The Union has been holding for 20 years now without any intervention on my part and France had a bigger military than me for all or most of that time. I do have a bigger economy (income) than them so it may be because of that, but still I wonder.

Not because I want the PU to finsih anymore (France not being able to attack anybody has been busy gobbling up their vassals) but I do want to know for the future

1) when i try to explore the new world a lot fo the time my ships get 'lost' anyway to reduce this ? and how many ships should i put on a fleet to do the exploring

2) do your ships get lost next to any coastline or jus your coastline

3) Is it worth switching to reform/protestant what sorts of countries or situtations would it be good for

4) how can you get missionaries if you are fully innovative on the slider gives me negative -0.8 as holland

5) manufactury how often would you build them half your provinces or as much as you can afford ?

thanks

1) when i try to explore the new world a lot fo the time my ships get 'lost' anyway to reduce this ? and how many ships should i put on a fleet to do the exploring
Don't let them stay at sea so long. In the early days, only explore one or two provinces maximum then send them back to port to repair. Try and get military access, or conquer a province, to use as a naval base; and make sure your naval maintenance is high enough so the ships actually repair between voyages.

Three ships is traditional. :) Use light ships, they're faster.

Ships next to the coast suffer less attrition than those in the open ocean.

3) Is it worth switching to reform/protestant what sorts of countries or situtations would it be good for
Depends on lots of factors. Catholicism gives stability bonuses and lets you use the Papacy's benefits. The two other religions give added wealth. Protestant is best for large continental empires, Reformed for trading and colonial powers. Remember too that if you change, everybody in the old religion will hate you, which can be good or bad depending on how strong you are.

4) how can you get missionaries if you are fully innovative on the slider gives me negative -0.8 as holland
Stop being so innovative? Also, there's a national decision that gives +0.5 missionaries; some religious decisions give small bonuses; and conquering Jerusalem and Mecca (and Rome if you're not a Catholic) also give extra missionaries.

5) manufactury how often would you build them half your provinces or as much as you can afford ?As many as you can afford, but there are lots of other things to spend money on as well. Check what trade goods you have: if you only have one iron province then it's logical to put an arms manufactory there, but there's no urgency in building manufactories in your grain or fish provinces.

Tried that. The Union has been holding for 20 years now without any intervention on my part and France had a bigger military than me for all or most of that time. I do have a bigger economy (income) than them so it may be because of that, but still I wonder.

Not because I want the PU to finsih anymore (France not being able to attack anybody has been busy gobbling up their vassals) but I do want to know for the future

I have noticed AI Denmark keeping its unions with Sweden and Norway despite the army gap. Something seems to have changed in DW, I suspect it takes economic power into account.

Ships cant be lost if they are next to one of your own provinces... they can be lost anywhere they suffer attrition.

Knowing what version you are playing would help here. the NI Divine Supremacy gives 0.5 and the religious decision Act of Uniformity gives 0.4

is there a continous stababilty cost ? or once its at max all other stabilty modifiers are useless?

The stability cost per province is lower with Catholicism than the other two. 20 as opposed to 30 IIRC

Depends on lots of factors. Catholicism gives stability bonuses and lets you use the Papacy's benefits. The two other religions give added wealth. Protestant is best for large continental empires, Reformed for trading and colonial powers. Remember too that if you change, everybody in the old religion will hate you, which can be good or bad depending on how strong you are.

If you change religions, will your vassals change with you? What about Personal Unions? If not, how much will they hate you? Enough to make them all rebel, or will a few diplomatic donations fix them?

If you change religions, will your vassals change with you? What about Personal Unions? If not, how much will they hate you? Enough to make them all rebel, or will a few diplomatic donations fix them?

You will keep vassals and PUs, although you will lose all other diplomatic relations with them as well as dropping 200 points in relationship.

^ HTTT

So there is a continous stababilty cost no matter what ? or only when you below +3 ?

To clarify: When you are at stability of less than 3 you can invest into getting more stability. That required investment is the stability cost. At +3 stability you cannot invest any more into stability, so any stability cost modifiers remain irrelevant as long as you keep +3 stability.

Also: stability.

I'm trying to colonise New Zealand from Central America, I have a core province facing into the Pacific but it still says it's out of range saying that the closest port is one of my Canadian ports facing onto the Atlantic. It's just beyond the map edge, fiji and samoa just before the map edge are easily colonisable and reference the central american port as the closest.

Does colonial range not register the world as a globe even though you can sail over the map edge? How can I fix this?

Clear your map cache by deleting the cache folder in the map folder in your EU3 directory. This will force EU3 to recalculate every colonial distance, trade distance, etc. based on current conditions.

Clear your map cache by deleting the cache folder in the map folder in your EU3 directory. This will force EU3 to recalculate every colonial distance, trade distance, etc. based on current conditions.

Tried what you said and it didn't work, still says it's over 1500 range away from Canadian port.

Is there any way to earn achievements in Divine Wind by playing multiplayer? It works fine in single player, but when I start a multiplayer game it says that the game is modded or some such (and its not).

I'd be happy if this were possible because I almost always play with a friend.

Apologies if this question has been posed before, but I'm not an active reader on this forum. I recently started a game with France but I can't recruit a general. Am I doing something wrong?

34npmom.jpg

Edit: I'm playing Heir to the Thrones, patched.