• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm newish, and I've figured some stuff out but I'm having trouble with combat. I'm playing as Muscowy, and it's sometime in the 1470s, and I've managed to put together a decent kingdom. Sweden is being a real drag, so I waited until October, declared war, torched my border provinces, and pulled back, waiting for Sweden to go on the offensive and planning to strike once attrition had taken its toll. Once I finally hit back, though, Sweden wrecked me. Attacking with near-equal sized armies was no contest. I'd take about ten times the casualties the Swedes took, and I'd lose entire 15k armies before they could even retreat due to low morale. Even when I combined all of my local forces and tried attacking ~12k Swedish armies with ~30k armies of my own, I would (barely) win one battle, pursue the enemy army, and then lose to them in the follow-up battle. thought it might have something to do with our differing tech levels, but then I responded to an uprising in Saratow and the same thing happened - my ~15k army was trounced by a ~7k religious fanatic army.

So, what am I doing wrong? My army is fully funded and each army has a general. I'm using armies of 15k soldiers (5k infantry and 10k cavalry - I read somewhere that, at this point in the game, the benefits from having a bunch of cavalry outweigh the benefits of the combined arms bonus), and I combine two of them into a 30k army when I'm going against a large army and want an assured win. Although my armies have rarely outperformed enemy armies, it's only been recently that they seem to be doing as badly as they do now. Any suggestions? Any combat mechanics I should be paying a lot more attention to?

If you change your infantry/cavalry ratio, you'll get a tactics bonus, but as you say, in the early game that's a pretty weak bonus. Techs and terrain play a pretty big role too, but you should be beating a rebel army half your size with little problem.

The X factor might be that they just got a really awesome General. Discipline is important too -- if you're going quantity, it'll penalize you for that. Other than that, I really don't what else to tell you. If you have roughly equivalent generals and roughly equivalent techs, the bigger army usually wins. Swedes are definitely winning due to tech -- they're in a different group. The other stuff? Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe go after Military Drill National Idea? That's an important one in the early game.

So, I'm playing DW 5.1 as Morocco, and I've annexed all of Algiers and vassalized Tunis (which is still 3 provinces). I've teched up to be able to take my second NI and I'm not sure what to pick. I do want to colonize, but I have several problems.

1) If I take QFTNW, I have no colonists (well, .10 a year) Any way to raise that without taking the other NI that gives colonists?
2) Castille took control of Iberia. I successfully defended myself from one war, but eventually I know they're going to come knocking. I'm also pretty scared of France at this point. Should I just Navy up like mad? That's my initial thought.
3) Is it worth it to colonize Africa? My initial thought was to concentrate on the Caribbean and make every island province mine.

Also, I'm curious about the question posted by the guy above me (Dickford) if anyone has insight, because I've had similar problems with other playthroughs.

@Dickford: What is your and the Swedish land tech level? Whats your preferred unit? How is your army layout (inf/cav/art)? Sounds like you're still in eastern tech group and Sweden is ahead in land technology.

Oh and btw: Is your army maintenance slider at 100%?

edit: too slow. :)

I didn't realize how big the tech gap was - I'm at 7 in Eastern tech, and Sweden is at 14. So, am I absolutely screwed here, or is there a way to come out on top without drowning them under my dead? I'm using Druzhina Cavalry (2 off. morale, 1 def. morale) and bardiche infantry (1/1 morale), and my army maintenance slider is at 100%. Also, I just realized I'm at full quantity vs. quality, so that's probably not helping me either.

I didn't realize how big the tech gap was - I'm at 7 in Eastern tech, and Sweden is at 14. So, am I absolutely screwed here, or is there a way to come out on top without drowning them under my dead? I'm using Druzhina Cavalry (2 off. morale, 1 def. morale) and bardiche infantry (1/1 morale), and my army maintenance slider is at 100%. Also, I just realized I'm at full quantity vs. quality, so that's probably not helping me either.

You'll pretty much need to drown them in dead. Maybe hire a Commandant to make up your discipline gap (I think you'll be at 92% with full quantity?). You could hope to outmatch them in leadership. I, personally, would also add more infantry to your armies. They're good at soaking up casualties.

I'm not sure if this question belongs here, but it's been bothering me for quite some time.

How does one go about changing the shapes of certain provinces? I don't agree with certain borders and I'd like to change them to a degree. I'm not attempting to add any provinces, just alter existing ones.

Also, would I be able to do the same to provinces found in a mod? I'm playing DW, if that helps.

So, I'm playing DW 5.1 as Morocco, and I've annexed all of Algiers and vassalized Tunis (which is still 3 provinces). I've teched up to be able to take my second NI and I'm not sure what to pick. I do want to colonize, but I have several problems.

1) If I take QFTNW, I have no colonists (well, .10 a year) Any way to raise that without taking the other NI that gives colonists?
2) Castille took control of Iberia. I successfully defended myself from one war, but eventually I know they're going to come knocking. I'm also pretty scared of France at this point. Should I just Navy up like mad? That's my initial thought.
3) Is it worth it to colonize Africa? My initial thought was to concentrate on the Caribbean and make every island province mine.

Also, I'm curious about the question posted by the guy above me (Dickford) if anyone has insight, because I've had similar problems with other playthroughs.

1. aren't there some slider positions that give more colonists?
2. sounds like you need some friends
3. Africa has some nice trade goods - ivory/slaves/gold - as do the islands in the Caribbean (sugar/tobacco) The advantage of the Caribbean is that for a while at least, your colonies probably will require less defense, and it sounds like you're gonna need your soldiers for the home front.

Last edited:
What are the most effective ways to burn off infamy and what is basically the max you can get? Thanks.

- Good rulers (high diplomacy)

- Cabinet -1 infamy/year (NI)

- Embassy -.4 infamy/year

I have a question aswell! How do you pass Imperial reforms (or how do you increase the chance of them getting passed)? As England I don't seem to be able to pass reforms, even though I'm the emperor. I press the Call for Reichreform (or whatever it's called) and it just stays there.

How do you pass Imperial reforms (or how do you increase the chance of them getting passed)?
Every HRE power gets to vote (not just the electors), and there are probably about 30 of them. You need at least half to approve the reform. If they're large, or a different religion to you, then you can forget them ever voting for you. All the others, you need to get their opinion of you over 150 to stand much chance; or just vassalise them.

Yes, buying up the relations of 15-20 countries to over 150 each is expensive. :)

Every HRE power gets to vote (not just the electors), and there are probably about 30 of them. You need at least half to approve the reform. If they're large, or a different religion to you, then you can forget them ever voting for you. All the others, you need to get their opinion of you over 150 to stand much chance; or just vassalise them.

Yes, buying up the relations of 15-20 countries to over 150 each is expensive. :)

Okay, thank you. :)

Now another question; where are my save games!? I usually find them in the "save games" folder, but after re-installing, they are not there anymore. I've tried searching for the names ie
"ming1557_01_14", but I can't find them :(

I'm not sure if this question belongs here, but it's been bothering me for quite some time.

How does one go about changing the shapes of certain provinces? I don't agree with certain borders and I'd like to change them to a degree. I'm not attempting to add any provinces, just alter existing ones.

Also, would I be able to do the same to provinces found in a mod? I'm playing DW, if that helps.
That is a modding question which needs to be asked in the modding forum; you'll need to register your game (EU3/Complete/Chronicles, not just expansions) to post there. You should be able to get most of what you need just by searching though.

"Complete"?

Why does my "Europa Universalis III: Complete" show up as "In Nomine" when the game loads? Was I duped? (I did a game update, and it patched from 3.0 to 3.2 ... for "In Nomine"! Not "Complete"!)

Thank you very much.

Snootch

Last edited:
EU3 Complete is EU3 + Napoleon's Ambition + In Nomine and whether you buy them separately or in the Complete package you can only play the latest version.
So EU3 Complete and In Nomine are the same game and use the same patch.