• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Playing as Castille, just got a bunch of money thru an event. Got me like 10-15 colonies
in south america and was thinking maybe to create a CoT over there.*
Question: is it worth it with so few colonial provinces? They're citys but not with cores. When would you recomend to
create a CoT in this case?

No comments?

Last edited:
Playing as Castille, just got a bunch of money thru an event. Got me like 10-15 colonies
in south america and was thinking maybe to create a CoT over there.*
Question: is it worth it with so few colonial provinces? They're citys but not with cores. When would you recomend to
create a CoT in this case?

No comments?
You'll probably end up creating a CoT there sooner or later. How much trade is it going to attract? It can be worth it just by the simple fact that nobody else discovered that province yet.

Is there any type of penalty for ignoring your current "mission" too long?
Yes, I know I can cancel it for a small penalty but I'm in a situation where I just cancelled one and the new one is such I will not be in a position to complete it for quite some time.

Yes, I know I can cancel it for a small penalty but I'm in a situation where I just cancelled one and the new one is such I will not be in a position to complete it for quite some time.

No penalty whatsoever. (If you don't count the fact that you wont get new missions when you let one rot away)
-5 Prestige to cancel a mission, and a 5 year waiting period if you want to cancel again. That's it!

If the mission gives you a temporary CB then waiting too long to act on it can cause you to lose the CB. Otherwise there is no penalty for waiting to complete it.

Your best is the Imperialism CB; you can get it by choosing a particular form of government (Republican Dictatorship, Enlightened Despotism and Absolute Monarchy). Revolutions are unreliable; I've never seen a proper revolution in a game of EU 3, and I've been playing since IN. You do get Imperialism for the two revolutionary governments, should you manage to make that happen. You could pick Bill of Rights, which will give you a CB on pretty much everyone, but without any cheaper infamy for adding territory.

I'd say picking one of the three governments above is your best bet.

When do these options appear? I'm an administrative monarchy in 1660, and I see no choice for absolute monarchy. Did I screw up becoming an administrative monarchy? The Wiki isn't clear about the path from here to absolute mon, or even if there is one.

EDIT: in the gov tech mouseover bubble, it says that the next gov type is constitutional monarchy, which makes me think that i may have missed my chance.

Last edited:
When do these options appear? I'm an administrative monarchy in 1660, and I see no choice for absolute monarchy. Did I screw up becoming an administrative monarchy? The Wiki isn't clear about the path from here to absolute mon, or even if there is one.

Well, if you already researched Absolute Monarchy via govt. tech and you cant see the option, then you have to go back to despotic monarchy and then absolute monarchy.You can do that immediately, it just means taking more stab hits.

Thanks, Uebergold. I see What the Wiki is saying now. But I think the stab costs listed there are for NI maybe, not DW. IIRC, the stab cost to "devolve" in DW is 4, not 2, and to "evolve" is 1, not 0.5. sigh...

There are no things such as a half stab hit , and ti had always been like this ..... thus i don't know why the values are like this in the files!

im playing byzantium in 1492 now, got all of my cores except the one in cyrups which i cant attack because they are protected by burgundy france and castile. i am bordering 3 hordes, the golden horde who was seperated into 2 parts by pther nations[got all its troops locked there] and the qara something who are just weak arent a threat but the timurids who got like 150k make me pay a 13 ducats tribute each time right when they declare a war at me, in other games by that time they would fall apart but it seems like theyre only getting bigger and bigger, i have to keep 4 15k brigades on my country to hunt rebels and protect me against those mean alliences of hungary poland and bohemia[was lutithia[or what ever their name is] but i finished them off] my stability is at -3 which makes me lose half merchent each years which is realy a shame because trace is now the third most big centre of trade in the world and holand seems to be the only one enjoying this by taking 90 yearly from my provinces. with all of that i gain 0.80 inflation yearly whose now on 90 and im praying 100 is the max limit, i cant afford carracks, more armies and even if i could it would take years to build, i got no alliences except with sicily who the only nation i got more then 50 relation with and everybody seems to count the days until the truce with me is over, not to speak about my 15% revolt chance with 0 war exhaustion. i think thats it, how do i get out of this mess?

edit: forgot to mention, all of my techs are at 4, and i rarely build buildings other then docks

yet another edit: is it realy importent i get all of my provinces orthodox? it costs a fortune.

edit number 3: wrote 1450 by mistake, im on 149X

and short questions:

can i build the suez cannal? i can see all the way from it to australia but my view is slowlyyy making its way around africa now.

what colonial range for? couldnt find it on wiki

i would realy appriciate if some1 would give me an MSN or skipa address so that he could help me online

Last edited:
... my stability is at -3 which makes me lose half merchent each years which is realy a shame because trace is now the third most big centre of trade in the world and holand seems to be the only one enjoying this by taking 90 yearly from my provinces. with all of that i gain 0.80 inflation yearly whose now on 90 and im praying 100 is the max limit, i cant afford carracks, more armies and even if i could it would take years to build, i got no alliences except with sicily who the only nation i got more then 50 relation with and everybody seems to count the days until the truce with me is over, not to speak about my 15% revolt chance with 0 war exhaustion. i think thats it, how do i get out of this mess?

90 inflation in 1450? 0_o

Better to start over.

If you have the Quest for the New World National Idea, you can colonize empty provinces, but only when it's in colonial range from one of your core provinces.

You may try to contact Chronicler , he seems to help several peoples via Skype or MSN from time to time.

From what I ve read you are doing much wrong.

If you started in 1399, then being at tech 4 in 1450 is anything but good. Anyway, I think it is better if you find someone with a Skype/MSN account, I dont have a micro atm and soccer is starting soon ;)

In case of Suez Channel: No, you cant build it. It is out of EU 3 timeframe. But I heard you can do that in Victoria 2.

im playing byzantium in 1450 now, got all of my cores except the one in cyrups which i cant attack because they are protected by burgundy france and castile. i am bordering 3 hordes, the golden horde who was seperated into 2 parts by pther nations[got all its troops locked there] and the qara something who are just weak arent a threat but the timurids who got like 150k make me pay a 13 ducats tribute each time right when they declare a war at me, in other games by that time they would fall apart but it seems like theyre only getting bigger and bigger, i have to keep 4 15k brigades on my country to hunt rebels and protect me against those mean alliences of hungary poland and bohemia[was lutithia[or what ever their name is] but i finished them off] my stability is at -3 which makes me lose half merchent each years which is realy a shame because trace is now the third most big centre of trade in the world and holand seems to be the only one enjoying this by taking 90 yearly from my provinces. with all of that i gain 0.80 inflation yearly whose now on 90 and im praying 100 is the max limit, i cant afford carracks, more armies and even if i could it would take years to build, i got no alliences except with sicily who the only nation i got more then 50 relation with and everybody seems to count the days until the truce with me is over, not to speak about my 15% revolt chance with 0 war exhaustion. i think thats it, how do i get out of this mess?

edit: forgot to mention, all of my techs are at 4, and i rarely build buildings other then docks

yet another edit: is it realy importent i get all of my provinces orthodox? it costs a fortune.

and short questions:

can i build the suez cannal? i can see all the way from it to australia but my view is slowlyyy making its way around africa now.

i would realy appriciate if some1 would give me an MSN or skipa address so that he could help me online

A lot of good questions!

Your main question: Honestly, you probably needed to do a better job of avoiding inflation in the early game. Inflation can be death if not managed properly. Since you've already got it, National Bank NI is your only real option, and avoiding minting like the plague. It sounds like you're getting caught in bankruptcy cycles, and it's really hard to get out of those without a lot of luck. My advice would be to start over :) Try to mint as little as you possibly can, even if it means skimping on military maintenance and conquering slowly. It'll make the mid game playable and the late game a lot of fun! Only building docks is also kind of silly; you want to go trade and production buildings to get the economy running.

Orthodox: You always want as many provinces in your state religion as possible; it'll help with your revolt risk problems and it'll increase your cash flow by removing the penalty for non-religion provinces.

No Suez Canal.

Colonial range determines how far from your closest cored province you can colonize.

You may try to contact Chronicler , he seems to help several peoples via Skype or MSN from time to time.

From what I ve read you are doing much wrong.

If you started in 1399, then being at tech 4 in 1450 is anything but good. Anyway, I think it is better if you find someone with a Skype/MSN account, I dont have a micro atm and soccer is starting soon ;)

In case of Suez Channel: No, you cant build it. It is out of EU 3 timeframe. But I heard you can do that in Victoria 2.

Yeah - you can in Vicky 2

From the wiki the Holy War CB has the following prerequisites in the HttT section:

- Before 1650, Christian or Muslim, target is of different religious group and one of these must be true:
+ Be an Empire,
+ Defender of the Faith,
+ border target,
+ be Catholic and target has Crusade called against it,
+ Unam Sanctum NI,
+ Divine Supremacy NI.

So to update this for DW it would only mean discarding the "Unam Sanctum NI" part, right? And just for me as a confirmation: It would be enough to be an Empire to get a HW CB on every nation of the other (Christ <-> Muslim) religion group? What is meant by "bordering target"? I get the CB when I do not fulfill any other requirement but border that nation of the different religion group?

From the wiki the Holy War CB has the following prerequisites in the HttT section:

- Before 1650, Christian or Muslim, target is of different religious group and one of these must be true:
+ Be an Empire,
+ Defender of the Faith,
+ border target,
+ be Catholic and target has Crusade called against it,
+ Unam Sanctum NI,
+ Divine Supremacy NI.

So to update this for DW it would only mean discarding the "Unam Sanctum NI" part, right? And just for me as a confirmation: It would be enough to be an Empire to get a HW CB on every nation of the other (Christ <-> Muslim) religion group? What is meant by "bordering target"? I get the CB when I do not fulfill any other requirement but border that nation of the different religion group?

Empire gives you holy war CB on any nation from another religious group, not just muslim/christian but also eastern & pagan (as do the other requirements for it). One note, this cb cannot be used to attack a tribal horde due to the horde mechanics.

Yes, border target means that sharing a land border (including across straits) gives you the CB.

I don't know about the Unam Sanctum issue although I suspect that it does still give the holy war cb.