• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Relatively new player, this whole thread was helpful but obviously I didn't read all of it. My question is simple:

Is there any strategy for getting other countries to un-ally with each other? I keep trying to start a game as England, but it is impossible to declare war on Scotland because they are constantly allied with Castille and France at the least, if not several other large nations as well. Any advice?

In this special case you would have to stop France and Castille from landing troops. Your navy should be able to beat theirs.

My question is totally different:

Is there a way to get rid of decisions you made which last for the whole game (1821)? In particular the "Advancement of True Religion Act". Was useful in the beginning but now I dont get any more missionaries and have to deal with tolerance instead, so the +1RR is the only effect this decision has for me :/

In this special case you would have to stop France and Castille from landing troops. Your navy should be able to beat theirs.

My question is totally different:

Is there a way to get rid of decisions you made which last for the whole game (1821)? In particular the "Advancement of True Religion Act". Was useful in the beginning but now I dont get any more missionaries and have to deal with tolerance instead, so the +1RR is the only effect this decision has for me :/

I don't know of any, once you make a decision you are generally stuck with it.

There is no direct way to break an alliance without beating a member of it in a war. There are some ways to limit who joins in a war against you through properly timing your wardec. For example, a nation at war with the current HRE or DoF cannot be defended by them if you attack them. Nations already involved in major wars are more likely to avoid joining another. Nations allied in one war cannot be foes in another. So, for example, if you and Castille are both allied with Portugal and the 3 of you are allied in a war, Castille will not join Scotland against you.

Only for certain specific decisions which have a second decision to revoke them (e.g. France's Edict of Nantes).

No reason it can't be modded though; probably most decisions should be possible to revoke at some stability or temporary RR cost.

Hi, another question about the Creek. I'm trying to colonise the Carribean but it won't let me. I roll over the 'send colonist' icon, and in other places (africa) it says "this province is out of our colonial range", but in the carribean, it says nothing. And it's well within my colonial range, as my Creek empire comprises every colonisable province in the american mainland, and they all have cores. So why can I colonise Africa, but not the Carribean?

Hi, another question about the Creek. I'm trying to colonise the Carribean but it won't let me. I roll over the 'send colonist' icon, and in other places (africa) it says "this province is out of our colonial range", but in the carribean, it says nothing. And it's well within my colonial range, as my Creek empire comprises every colonisable province in the american mainland, and they all have cores. So why can I colonise Africa, but not the Carribean?

Does another nation have a colonist on the way to that province?

Does another nation have a colonist on the way to that province?

No, because I used the 'cash' and 'colonist' cheats, it is 1433, and the closest European nation with territory is the Azores, owned by Portugal. By contrast, I have explored the inside of Ming. And I have destroyed all other American nations, with the exception of the Inca, who are now a landlocked OPM, and my vassal. So, no, I am the only country who can colonist the Caribbean. Although I think it may be to do with the fact that I have not yet westernised, so officially I cannot build ships. But I'm working on that, trying to sell the Yucatan to Portugal, Castille and England.

I got the maintain shipping routes mission. I built a bunch of ships (to my force limits) only too late to realize I need to boost tariff efficiency. Currently at 32%, the tool-tip told me I had only 68 ships for 212 lanes. Doing the math, I came the horrific realization that there is no way I can complete this mission (current naval force limits are ~125). Is there any other way to boost tariff efficiency? Thanks.

I got the maintain shipping routes mission. I built a bunch of ships (to my force limits) only too late to realize I need to boost tariff efficiency. Currently at 32%, the tool-tip told me I had only 68 ships for 212 lanes. Doing the math, I came the horrific realization that there is no way I can complete this mission (current naval force limits are ~125). Is there any other way to boost tariff efficiency? Thanks.

Turn your colonies into cities. If you really have THAT many colonies, I don't know why they haven't turned into cities already, unless you haven't been funding them. The 212 refers to colonies (although that sounds really high; is it maybe colonies x 2?) Cities don't count towards the bottom number or 212.

Spies can't create cores, except for very indirectly (Fabricate Claims in HRE or on a country in your culture group, in which case you'll get cores upon inheritance.)

Boundary disputes give you cores, not border friction, but that's the easiest way to get bonus cores. Some missions give them, a few decisions do (unification ones mostly). You can get more boundary disputes by increasing diplomatic skill; another person could confirm this, but the diplo bonus from advisors and spheres of influence SHOULD increase the chances of getting them. I don't think it's based off of raw diplo score.

If you're a Japanese Daimyo you can use a spy mission to get a core on another Japanese Daimyo. Doing this gives you infamy however(how much infamy depends on if your spy was discovered or not).

Turn your colonies into cities. If you really have THAT many colonies, I don't know why they haven't turned into cities already, unless you haven't been funding them. The 212 refers to colonies (although that sounds really high; is it maybe colonies x 2?) Cities don't count towards the bottom number or 212.

No, in this situation, everything that is distant overseas counts as a colony, not only colonies. And you probably should go to double your forcelimits nonetheless, since you don't only get that mission, more importantly you actually get all that money from your colonies that at the moment accumulates at the bottom of the sea. Just build 200 ships, you should be able to afford it with the increased amount of money you get from all those colonies. At the moment, you are throwing away 2/3 of the income those colonies should give you because you don't have enough ships.

Furthermore, you should consider increasing your naval forcelimits as a longterm goal. For example through building lvl 6 naval buildings, or through aquiring more european coasts. Maybe you can also reduce the amount of land that is distant overseas if some of it is in africa or asia by completing a landbridge from your capitol towards it.

I'm playing as the Ottomans now, the stability cost is ridiculously high due to the christian lands i have. what is the fastest way to generate missionaries ?

Go narrowminded as much as possible is the only good (if not very fast) way I found so far. Also check your religious decisions, you may have something there giving your more missionaries.

Furthermore, you should consider increasing your naval forcelimits as a longterm goal. For example through building lvl 6 naval buildings, or through aquiring more european coasts. Maybe you can also reduce the amount of land that is distant overseas if some of it is in africa or asia by completing a landbridge from your capitol towards it.
Forget about the lvl 6 naval buildings. Levels 2,3,4 already give +1 naval force limits each. Building those in all coastal colonies should raise the force limit more than enough to build enough light ships to receive full tariffs.

Last edited:
Go narrowminded as much as possible is the only good (if not very fast) way I found so far. Also check your religious decisions, you may have something there giving your more missionaries.

If you haven't already done so take Judea off the Mameluks for the +1 prestige & +.5 missionary per year triggered modifier. Likewise Roma if you can pull it off although it is probably somewhat harder.

Hello, first time poster here :)
I am trying with the wiki and some forum research to understand exactly how religious tolerance works. Here's what I think I have figured out from what I have read, and my questions :)

1) Affect growth rate (both positive and negative). If I understand correctly, it applies for tolerance of the true faith too.
2) Affect revolt risk (both positive and negative, correct ?). If I understand correctly, it applies for tolerance of the true faith too.
3) The taxes section of the wiki indicates a -30% province tax penalty for different religion. Does it apply to both heretics and heathens, and is this mitigated by tolerance (no penalty at 0 or higher tolerance) ?
4) The modifiers indicated in the wiki (http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Religion) are for the state religion, regardless of the actual province religion, right ? (a reformed province in a protestant country would have +10% production, not +10% trade, correct ?)
5) bonus question (not really a quick one :) ) : why is l'Edit de Nantes a bad thing for France, besides reducing the growth on your catholic provinces slightly ?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if this has been rehearsed too often.

Last edited:
Furthermore, you should consider increasing your naval forcelimits as a longterm goal.
The quickest way to do that is to take the appropriate national idea, of course. Or perhaps even better take Press Gangs, that halves the cost of all ships - and also halves their maintenance cost (for newly-built ships only). That means that even if you're at double your force limit, you're only paying half what you otherwise would.

3) The taxes section of the wiki indicates a -30% province tax penalty for different religion. Does it apply to both heretics and heathens, and is this mitigated by tolerance (no penalty at 0 or higher tolerance) ?
That is obsolete; the "different religion" penalty was replaced by an intolerance modifier (-10% per point). Note there is no tax bonus for positive tolerance.
4) The modifiers indicated in the wiki (http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Religion) are for the state religion, regardless of the actual province religion, right ? (a reformed province in a protestant country would have +10% production, not +10% trade, correct ?)
Correct.
5) bonus question (not really a quick one :) ) : why is l'Edit de Nantes a bad thing for France, besides reducing the growth on your catholic provinces slightly ?
What makes you think it's a bad thing? If you have any heretic provinces it's probably a good thing.

I have been playing for a short time but I love this game. I have a question.

I am playing France in DW 5.1 Grand Campaign. I was in a war against England, Burgundy, Brittany, Savory, etc. I had taken all the English lands in France, occupied all of Brittany and Savory and taken a few in Burgundy. Every time I asked for peace terms from 1 of the enemy the whole war would end. I want to demand territories from each enemy not just 1. I tried a few times but the best I could do was vassel Savory but nothing from anyone else. It is suppose to work that way or did I do something wrong? I was alliance leader and England was for them.

I have been playing for a short time but I love this game. I have a question.

I am playing France in DW 5.1 Grand Campaign. I was in a war against England, Burgundy, Brittany, Savory, etc. I had taken all the English lands in France, occupied all of Brittany and Savory and taken a few in Burgundy. Every time I asked for peace terms from 1 of the enemy the whole war would end. I want to demand territories from each enemy not just 1. I tried a few times but the best I could do was vassel Savory but nothing from anyone else. It is suppose to work that way or did I do something wrong? I was alliance leader and England was for them.

If they are all on the same side in the same war, then peace with England would be peace with them all. Savoy was not the alliance leader, so you can annex them without ending the war. You should be able to continue fighting the rest of the war against England, burgundy, Britanny. If this is not the case, then something is wrong. If you open negotiations directly with England, and they accept your proposal, then the entire war will end.

My own questions:
Why does one get ONE merchant when forming a new country like Russia, Germany, etc?? It seems so out of place and unneeded. Why bother?
Why does a random province get a +1 tax boost, and not the new capital? Seems silly that uniting Scandinavia, for example, gives a tax boost in Lappland or Iceland and not the capital of the uniting entity.
Why does Germany get +1 tax boost on all territories when the other unifier decisions don't? Germany is harder to form, and the tax base increase is also much larger than Italy or GBR in terms of province count.