• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is the advantage of making formable countries? I'm doing pretty well as Portugal at the moment. What would be the advantage of forming Spain. Is the advantage greater for the country that historically did form said country, such as Castile? Thanks

I believe I didn't figure out the Personal Union mechanic.

I'm Portugal and I have a Royal Marriage with Castille. I'm the only Marriage of them. I have way more prestige than them. Yet, it's still "A Noble from house Tre Rozor (Royal Family name. Wait, what?) rises to power" and not "Personal Union under Portugal". Damn, I saw this goddamned message at least three times. Everytime my stupid heir died, I'd, as for standard, go under a Personal Union with Austria, and then pray very much for a new heir.

What am I supposed to do to get this goddamned union?

What is the advantage of making formable countries? I'm doing pretty well as Portugal at the moment. What would be the advantage of forming Spain. Is the advantage greater for the country that historically did form said country, such as Castile? Thanks

You can check the whole effects here: http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Form_Spanish_Nation

I believe I didn't figure out the Personal Union mechanic.

I'm Portugal and I have a Royal Marriage with Castille. I'm the only Marriage of them. I have way more prestige than them. Yet, it's still "A Noble from house Tre Rozor (Royal Family name. Wait, what?) rises to power" and not "Personal Union under Portugal". Damn, I saw this goddamned message at least three times. Everytime my stupid heir died, I'd, as for standard, go under a Personal Union with Austria, and then pray very much for a new heir.

What am I supposed to do to get this goddamned union?

In order to get a PU, you have a very little chance to get a message telling you that a PU was formed with the other country when you only have a royal marriage. The best way is to Claim Throne (diplomacy option), that is only active when the other country has a low legitimacy heir IIRC. That would give you a Casus Belli on them so if you reach 84% warscore, you can force the PU with them. You could also be lucky to simply claim the throne and get the PU created, but I think the chances are low anyway. The other option to force PU's waging war is to use a spy, clicking on the capital province of the country if said country has legitimacy under 50%, so that would give you a CB worth ~94% to force a PU. After you win the war, make sure you improve the relations over 0 or you will lose the PU if your monarch dies! :laugh:

In order to get a PU, you have a very little chance to get a message telling you that a PU was formed with the other country when you only have a royal marriage. The best way is to Claim Throne (diplomacy option), that is only active when the other country has a low legitimacy heir IIRC. That would give you a Casus Belli on them so if you reach 84% warscore, you can force the PU with them. You could also be lucky to simply claim the throne and get the PU created, but I think the chances are low anyway. The other option to force PU's waging war is to use a spy, clicking on the capital province of the country if said country has legitimacy under 50%, so that would give you a CB worth ~94% to force a PU. After you win the war, make sure you improve the relations over 0 or you will lose the PU if your monarch dies! :laugh:

One thing I've found: if the nation has an heir that is low legitimacy (mouse over king: on monarch death pretender rises+regency for or so and so rises to throne) then just claiming the throne (no war) is almost a sure thing to form the PU, you only have to keep your prestige higher than theirs. If someone else claims the throne you probably wantto go ahead and enforce the union by war to avoid a succession war though.

Why can't the Native American nations recruit a navy?

Not sure which nation you mean, but I'm going to take a few guesses.

1) The tech is too low, you need at least Naval 1 and I think they start with Naval 0.
2) You have no ports.
3) You have no cores.

Why can't the Native American nations recruit a navy?
Until they "westernize" their tech group prevents this. Any tech group with a tech speed of less than 40% can't recruit ships, regardless of tech level. In the vanilla game this means the New World, Sub-Saharan, and Nomad groups.

When I was playing Holland I got a core in the north Americas and surrounded it with 1000+ colonies, yet I still couldn't move my capital there.
Why is this?

Moac is a friend who copy/pasted my poorly explained problem.

So to elaborate:
I was playing as Holland and had gotten a core on Manhattan, all surrounding provinces had 1000+ inhabitants and I had left the HRE. I was not at war and had around 3000 ducats/+3 stability and when I hovered over the move-capital button it said "We can not move our capital overseas, not while it still has a big heartland around it. Only when our capital is isolated, will it be possible."

When I googled the question most I found was that "it" had to be adjacent to another country so I sold a province next to Manhattan to France and waited a month to see if it only registered at the start of a new month, but that didn't work either. The province of Holland was already bordering to Utrecht so I don't think that it was the problem in that hypothetical requirement.
Is there something obvious I'm missing or what? I'm playing DW if that makes any difference.

Moac is a friend who copy/pasted my poorly explained problem.

So to elaborate:
I was playing as Holland and had gotten a core on Manhattan, all surrounding provinces had 1000+ inhabitants and I had left the HRE. I was not at war and had around 3000 ducats/+3 stability and when I hovered over the move-capital button it said "We can not move our capital overseas, not while it still has a big heartland around it. Only when our capital is isolated, will it be possible."

When I googled the question most I found was that "it" had to be adjacent to another country so I sold a province next to Manhattan to France and waited a month to see if it only registered at the start of a new month, but that didn't work either. The province of Holland was already bordering to Utrecht so I don't think that it was the problem in that hypothetical requirement.
Is there something obvious I'm missing or what? I'm playing DW if that makes any difference.

If I recall correctly, the province of Holland (that is, your current capital province, not your to-be capital province) must be isolated. Isolated in this case means "not bordering any other province that you control".

Edit: Welcome to the forum! :)

If I recall correctly, the province of Holland (that is, your current capital province, not your to-be capital province) must be isolated. Isolated in this case means "not bordering any other province that you control".

Edit: Welcome to the forum! :)

This is correct. To move your capital to another continent it must not be adjacent to any other province that you own. The usual "trick" to move from Europe to the Americas is to first move to Azores/Canarias or some other island that is part of Europe. Alternatively you can create vassals and sell them all provinces that border your capital.

Thank you rustic and thank you for the tip brifbates. I think I looked too much at "not while it still has a big heartland around it" and ignored the isolated capital bit.

Does that mean I have to leave all provinces neighboring Manhattan empty or do they have to be colonized for me to move my capital there? The heartland bit makes me think it's the latter.

Thank you Narestel and brifbates. I derped a little. D:

I had indeed to click on "Claim the Throne", in order to claim the said throne. :D

It was awesome to see that on monarch death they would go "Under a Personal Union with Portugal". Then the Queen spawned a spoiled 5-5-5 little bastard brat and slaughtered my Hudson-to-Magellan-with-no-overseas-penalty-and-a-Huge-PORTUGAL-covering-the-entire-new-world dream. :(

Thank you rustic and thank you for the tip brifbates. I think I looked too much at "not while it still has a big heartland around it" and ignored the isolated capital bit.

Does that mean I have to leave all provinces neighboring Manhattan empty or do they have to be colonized for me to move my capital there? The heartland bit makes me think it's the latter.

You can move your capital to any cored province, no matter what the surrounding provinces are (foreign power, unclaimed, wasteland, etc).

I'm playing as Austria, and Savoy broke their PU with me without my monarch dying. I started a restoration of union war, but Savoy's new allies joined in (Venice now leads that side). I have occupied all of Savoy's territory, but I have no option to demand the restoration of the union, only annexation or vassalisation.

I'm playing as Austria, and Savoy broke their PU with me without my monarch dying. I started a restoration of union war, but Savoy's new allies joined in (Venice now leads that side). I have occupied all of Savoy's territory, but I have no option to demand the restoration of the union, only annexation or vassalisation.

Are you asking for peace from Savoy?