• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are there any negative consequences for attacking the natives of a colony? Other than not being able to trade with them I don't really see anything, but the game makes a rather ominous sound when you click that button. Thanks.
When a colony reaches 1000 population any surviving natives are added to its population.

When a colony reaches 1000 population any surviving natives are added to its population.
OTOH, extra population has no real effect as long as the province is overseas.

But it makes a massive difference if you move your capital.
An extra few thousand is still not very significant.
I'd say the biggest reason not to kill them would be in the Americas where you get "natives encountering our colonies" events if you leave them alive.

An extra few thousand is still not very significant.
I'd say the biggest reason not to kill them would be in the Americas where you get "natives encountering our colonies" events if you leave them alive.
Having 5-10x the starting population adds up given province growth is (obviously) based on the existing population

But yeah, the native events are great too.

But you get more Units - faster - which leads to more tarrifs and trade value. Unless this is insignificant in the grand scheme; I honestly have no idea because I don't min-max colonising.
Units is capped at 1.0 for overseas provinces.

The point is that because of how Units is calculated it takes a huge population difference to give a significant improvement in the Units value.
base tax 5 province
population = 1000 -> Units = 1.25
population = 11000 -> Units = 1.35

The cost of getting that small improvement (which you only get after you move your capital) is that the colonization is more expensive; more likely that colonists will fail and more likely that natives will rise and damage/destroy the colony unless you keep an army there which has costs as well.

ok, I play as Kara Qoyunlu, year is 1435, I have most of Persia, still steppe nomad but no problems so far - yet: now every time I declare war on the Timurids, within a few days the war automatically ends. No messages, no battles, no pop-ups, no White Peace, nothing. The icon representing the war in the lower right side of the screen disappears and the war ends.

I didn't have this kind of problem before.

is this some mechanism I was not aware of or possibly some type of bug? any idea?

Infiltrate their administration with a spy and click a province and see the revolt risk. Only way I know.

TheKaspa- You don't have to infiltrate or be at war, you just have to be able to see the province. If you don't have a land border you need a unit or allied unit adjacent to one of their provinces (naval or land). Then you can view the reasons for revolt risk (hover the mouse on the revolt risk in the province window), one of which is war exhaustion.

TheKaspa- You don't have to infiltrate or be at war, you just have to be able to see the province. If you don't have a land border you need a unit or allied unit adjacent to one of their provinces (naval or land). Then you can view the reasons for revolt risk (hover the mouse on the revolt risk in the province window), one of which is war exhaustion.

Thx

Units is capped at 1.0 for overseas provinces.

I think that's silly, but I can see why it is implemented for gameplay. Still, seeing "ALSACE" stretch across North and South America is enjoyable.

ok, I play as Kara Qoyunlu, year is 1435, I have most of Persia, still steppe nomad but no problems so far - yet: now every time I declare war on the Timurids, within a few days the war automatically ends. No messages, no battles, no pop-ups, no White Peace, nothing. The icon representing the war in the lower right side of the screen disappears and the war ends.

I didn't have this kind of problem before.

is this some mechanism I was not aware of or possibly some type of bug? any idea?

I had a similar problem playing as the Timurids. Post in Bugreports? It might have been reported already.

I think that's silly, but I can see why it is implemented for gameplay. Still, seeing "ALSACE" stretch across North and South America is enjoyable.

I had a similar problem playing as the Timurids. Post in Bugreports? It might have been reported already.

Hm, i have not yet played as nomads, but maybe you no longer have a border with them? At least against civilised nations, you can not fight them if you do not border them.

Anyone think that the bug that overseas provinces doesn't count towards overextension could somehow be connected to that when you release the american nations as vassals you don't get an infamy reduction?

The cost of getting that small improvement (which you only get after you move your capital) is that the colonization is more expensive; more likely that colonists will fail and more likely that natives will rise and damage/destroy the colony unless you keep an army there which has costs as well.
An army which has very reasonable chances of triggering a Native Assimilation, which, if I recall correctly, has a chance to add +1 base tax and it adds population to your colony (saving you precious colonists). Of course, a stationed ship in the colony will also do the trick.