• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do I get CBs for Asian countries? I don't want to keep taking a stability hit everytime I declare war. I'm playing as Spain btw.

For me:
Pre-1650 -> DoF + Holy wars
After 1650 -> Imperialism

Not sure if you don't mind 4 inf/province, if so, warn every nation that has an alliance to the one you want to attack (including that nation of course), so you'll have a chance to fight them directly/indirectly.

warn every nation that has an alliance to the one you want to attack (including that nation of course), so you'll have a chance to fight them directly/indirectly.
Warnings only work if they attack a country that is your neighbor though.

For me:
Pre-1650 -> DoF + Holy wars
After 1650 -> Imperialism

Not sure if you don't mind 4 inf/province, if so, warn every nation that has an alliance to the one you want to attack (including that nation of course), so you'll have a chance to fight them directly/indirectly.

Holy War appeared for Japan once, but I couldn't really annex it cause of some dumb shogunate system not actually disbanded. I never had a Holy War pop up for any other Asian nation. I had a Border Friction CB against Korea, but when my peace treaty ran out it was gone. It just passed 1650 recently and I haven't seen any Imperialism CB.

As an empire, or as defender of the faith, you get holy war on everyone. Without one of those, you only get it against nations you border, or nations against which a crusade is called by the papal controller. Of course, this only works before 1650.

Imperialism is something you get as an absolute monarchy (and some other government types of higher tech level), and it works against everyone, too. Even later you can do revolutionary wars with the Revolution and Counterrevolution NI against everyone who is not of your government type (republic/monarchy) for 1 infamy/province conquest. Since you can change your government, this means that if needed, you can have that CB against anyone.

I'm playing as Oldenburg, focusing on colonising the new world. I have four provinces in Europe (two on the mainland and Canaries+Madeira), while I have ~65 provinces in the Americas/Caribbean (+ 7 actual colonies). There is at the moment no land connection between my South American and North American territories (but I intend to get one). Tariffs are about half of my total income (second half mostly from trade).

I'm thinking of moving my capital overseas, but what should I consider before doing so? I also happen to be Emporer of the HRE (this was basically thrown at me), will that bring any other consequences if moving the capital?

I'm playing as Oldenburg, focusing on colonising the new world. I have four provinces in Europe (two on the mainland and Canaries+Madeira), while I have ~65 provinces in the Americas/Caribbean (+ 7 actual colonies). There is at the moment no land connection between my South American and North American territories (but I intend to get one). Tariffs are about half of my total income (second half mostly from trade).

I'm thinking of moving my capital overseas, but what should I consider before doing so? I also happen to be Emporer of the HRE (this was basically thrown at me), will that bring any other consequences if moving the capital?

You can't spread the HRE overseas, and you can't move your capital out of the HRE. If you really wanted to, you'd have to leave the HRE, which would mean you'd have to give up being emperor first.

You can't spread the HRE overseas, and you can't move your capital out of the HRE. If you really wanted to, you'd have to leave the HRE, which would mean you'd have to give up being emperor first.

Ok, so the first step would be to have the meanie electors stop voting for me. Hmm. Didn't imagine this situation when I started this game.

From what I've gathered, provinces that are connected by land to the capital aren't "distant overseas". Is that correct? And if I for example would move my capital to, say, Jamaica, would all of NA and SA still be distant overseas?

Ok, so the first step would be to have the meanie electors stop voting for me. Hmm. Didn't imagine this situation when I started this game.

From what I've gathered, provinces that are connected by land to the capital aren't "distant overseas". Is that correct? And if I for example would move my capital to, say, Jamaica, would all of NA and SA still be distant overseas?

Indeed, you can't leave the HRE if you're the emperor. I think I read in another post that, if you leave it, you would lose all the provinces that belong to the HRE, but I'm not sure about this.

As for your second paragraph, according to the wiki:

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Overseas#Overseas_provinces

Edit: I hadn't realized till I've read Valiant's post that Sout America and North America were considered different continents in the game. :rofl: Indeed, if you switch to Region mode layout, it tells you the continent. Good note to take into account.

Still a newbie, here.

Where do you guys find all this information about what does what? Like how infamy comes straight off your compete chance or, What affects what in the economy and trade value, and how taxes, production, trade value, etc. all work together and affect one another. The manual seems to be bereft of critical info such as this.

A question about the Unlawful territory function.

Can you explain what options I have to be able to Anex a nation within the Empire without getting "unlawful territory" event.

Is there a way to force a nation to leave the Empire?

Another quick question. Why can I no longer hire, rather recruit from out of country, an Army Reformer to enhance Land Tech? I have -6 Prestige, 0.9 Infamy, and am at Level 11 Land Tech. Are these guys randomly available for recruitment or are there specific requirements that need to be met, for instance, a Trader has never been available (Level 14 Trade Tech)? And where does one go to find them, the requirements, not the recruits?

Last edited:
Still a newbie, here.

Where do you guys find all this information about what does what? Like how infamy comes straight off your compete chance or, What affects what in the economy and trade value, and how taxes, production, trade value, etc. all work together and affect one another. The manual seems to be bereft of critical info such as this.

In my case, lots and lots of experience. I've been playing this game for a while.

Some other people use the wiki a lot, but I don't find it particularly reliable. It usually contains outdated information.

Can you explain what options I have to be able to Anex a nation within the Empire without getting "unlawful territory" event.

Unlawful territory comes from holding provinces inside the Empire that are not your cores. If you need to take provinces within the Empire, you need to have cores on them to avoid the modifier and "A Formal Request". The other way is to simply leave the Empire (note that you will lose all provinces that are in the Empire that are not cores if you do this). Unlawful territory goes away when the province cores, btw.

Another quick question. Why can I no longer hire, rather recruit from out of country, an Army Reformer to enhance Land Tech? I have -6 Prestige, 0.9 Infamy, and am at Level 11 Land Tech. Are these guys randomly available for recruitment or are there specific requirements that need to be met, for instance, a Trader has never been available (Level 14 Trade Tech)? And where does one go to find them, the requirements, not the recruits?

I don't understand the question very well. However, if by recruitment you mean using the culture menu, you need army tradition to get an Army Reformer. If you mean using the adviser window and just taking them from another country, they're only available after they are born in their home country and a year has passed.

There are 2 aspects of unlawful imperial territory that can be handled a little bit differently:

1) +infamy & - prestige modifiers for holding unlawful territory-the only way to avoid this is to only own provinces that you have cores (possibly also a mission for: a non-cored province I had a mission for as Sweden didn't generate the penalty even though it wasn't a core until the mission was completed) or to immediately perform the "abandon HRE" decision in the province when you acquire it (must be at peace, not a member of HRE, and have < 0 relations with current emperor).

2) "a formal request" event-adds additional penalties plus stability hit if you refuse to return the unlawful province-can be avoided the same ways as the modifier, additionally can be avoided by being in a war that is not horde vs civilized nation as you must be at peace for the event to fire

There is no way to force a nation to leave the HRE except to force a capital move to a province that is not part of the HRE; which in the majority of cases is not possible.

Its probably a global x% increase in ship building speed. For example the "The Fleet is our Wooden Wall"-decision does this.

Yeah, that's what I suspected, but why doesn't it say >_>. Other decisions doing that say they decrease construction time.

Still a newbie, here.

Most of the relevant information is available by mousing over the various numbers on screen and reading the tooltips. For compete chance information just open a CoT you are eligible to send a merchant to and mouse over an existing merchant, for example.

Yeah, that's what I suspected, but why doesn't it say >_>. Other decisions doing that say they decrease construction time.
xxx_recruit_speed really means recruit/construction time so a higher value means slower recruiting (this is shown correctly by the in-game text).