• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do I run EU3 in windowed mode? Would be handy to check manual/wiki/guide on things I don't know while in-game.
Nothing happens with Alt-Enter and I couldn't find it in game options either.
It is not a supported feature so there's no in-game way to do it. You need to edit the settings.txt file and change fullScreen=yes to fullScreen=no.

You can also use the cheat code "fullscreeen" in the console (Alt + 21). This gives you a windowed fullscreen mode, mostly needed if you want to stream EU3. There are some problems, but it generally works acceptable.

You can also use the cheat code "fullscreeen" in the console (Alt + 21). This gives you a windowed fullscreen mode, mostly needed if you want to stream EU3. There are some problems, but it generally works acceptable.

Thanks for the tips but I couldn't do it. What do you mean by using the cheat code? I pressed Alt then 2 and 1 and nothing happened. With editing the settings, file could not be saved -_- Probably something with admin right but I checked write access under file properties and it seemed alright...

Thanks for the tips but I couldn't do it. What do you mean by using the cheat code? I pressed Alt then 2 and 1 and nothing happened. With editing the settings, file could not be saved -_- Probably something with admin right but I checked write access under file properties and it seemed alright...

I haven't used any cheat code in EU3 ever but I guess that it's like typing ASCII code: Have you tried typing 21 (or 021) from the num pad, instead from the keys over the letters, while you hold ALT?

I haven't used any cheat code in EU3 ever but I guess that it's like typing ASCII code: Have you tried typing 21 (or 021) from the num pad, instead from the keys over the letters, while you hold ALT?
Just tried, nothing happened. :mellow:

Is there an easy way to find out the distance/time to travel between two provinces? I understand it depends on number of different factors but at the moment I only know by moving a unit from one province to another, if the game allows me to.

I had two questions, think I forgot the second and more important though :/

1. If I am England for example, and I am in war with France, and Scotland is my ally and not in the war, and France has some ally that want to respond to call to arms etc, do that french ally then take Scotlands military power into the calculation?

2. Is naval/army tradition like cultural tradition? It's always calculated at over 90%? or can you get better admirals/generals if you let it reach 100%? or somewhere between 90-100%?

Just tried, nothing happened. :mellow:

Is there an easy way to find out the distance/time to travel between two provinces? I understand it depends on number of different factors but at the moment I only know by moving a unit from one province to another, if the game allows me to.

You sure? It should open a little box on the left side of the screen that prompts you for text. Try hitting the ` key in game and see if it opens the cheat prompt.

Try hitting the ` key in game and see if it opens the cheat prompt.

That worked, but when I typed "fullscreen", the screen blinked and then it's the same again, nothing changed. Try opening other programs and alt-tab but couldn't switch to them. "21" and "021" were unrecognized commands and fullscreen no or off didn't work either. I guess I will try to work out how to edit and save the settings.txt file. Thanks for all the help.

That worked, but when I typed "fullscreen", the screen blinked and then it's the same again, nothing changed. Try opening other programs and alt-tab but couldn't switch to them. "21" and "021" were unrecognized commands and fullscreen no or off didn't work either. I guess I will try to work out how to edit and save the settings.txt file. Thanks for all the help.

Go to your "Europa Universalis III" folder.

Find "settings.txt" somewhere after the folders. If you're on Windows, just double click it. If it prompts you for a program, use 'select from list' and choose Notepad.

If you did it right, something like this (your individual settings may be different from mine) should be the very beginning of the file:

gui=
{
language=l_english
}
graphics=
{
size=
{
x=1280
y=960
}

refreshRate=60
fullScreen=yes

Change fullScreen=yes to fullScreen=no. Save. Run EU3. Have fun!

Thanks for typing all that out gela. Actually it worked after I restarted it, didn't have to edit settings.txt manually. Only needed to change resolution to fit the screen and it's fine now. btw, I am enjoying and learning a lot from your AAR for beginners too. Thanks very much!

2. Is naval/army tradition like cultural tradition? It's always calculated at over 90%? or can you get better admirals/generals if you let it reach 100%? or somewhere between 90-100%?

According to the wiki,

The following equation gives an approximation of the total skills a new leader will have, based on tradition:

Tradition/5 - 2 = Fire + Shock + Maneuver + Siege

Fire, Shock, and Maneuver are capped at 6. Siege is capped at 2. Note that the skills possessed by leaders will also be affected by slider positions, but that these bonuses do not allow skills to go above the official limits.

so if that's up-to-date, it seems you get an extra point into one of the 4 stats for every 5% land/naval tradition. Wish we could have some control over the point distribution though.

Which AI countries pick QFTNW?
I want to play a game without the Americas being discovered, so I'd like to know which countries to get rid of.

I think that any country may pick any National Idea, so I'm afraid that any country could end up colonizing when their naval range allows it. But, at first instance, you could remove from the map the closer ones, like Portugal, Spain, England and France.

Which AI countries pick QFTNW?
I want to play a game without the Americas being discovered, so I'd like to know which countries to get rid of.
They sort of follow an order. Usually.
So you can expect the first ones to be Portugal and Spain, the next one to be England/GB and the next one France. Other countries have QftNW in their lists as well, so you can expect more and more people to pop up.

If my capital is occupied and I have my admiralty there....will I lose the admiralty bonus then?

I think that any country may pick any National Idea, so I'm afraid that any country could end up colonizing when their naval range allows it. But, at first instance, you could remove from the map the closer ones, like Portugal, Spain, England and France.

I do believe that countries have a "favored NI list" in the History folder IIRC. in that case the easiest way to get rid of the colonization would be cleaning up QFTNW from those files.

The typical countries to take out to avoid colonialization are England, France, Portugal, Castille and Hollan/The Netherlands. That typically is enough to leave the New World a Virgin unless some random country with a coast gets the event that gives you an explorer (dont know if it fires without Qftnw)

I do believe that countries have a "favored NI list" in the History folder IIRC. in that case the easiest way to get rid of the colonization would be cleaning up QFTNW from those files.
Except that list is only a (strong) suggestion. AI can pick ideas not on the list.
Possibly you could add a requirement to QftNW of ai = no.