• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When I need to know that, I usually select one of the provinces of that country and then switch to the diplomatic view, so you have all his provinces marked in green (apart from allies and such, in another gamma of green). I don't know of any quicker way, but I'd like to have it easier to access that functionality, indeed.

Hi, I'm new to EU3 and just started to play seriously as Milan trying to unite Italy. Here are my questions, thanks.

Is there any way to get the 3 additional provinces I need without incurring a lot of infamy (24 I think, +0.75 non-core HRE provinces per year)? and stop the emperor asking me from releasing the non-core HRE provinces? Will great relation/alliance help?

How to get good advisors? or know when new ones are available apart from the 1-year after start date? Traditions seem really hard to accumulate.

Is there economic and core map mode(s) where I can tell at a glance how much money each provinces are making and which one has cores for which countries?

Hi, I'm new to EU3 and just started to play seriously as Milan trying to unite Italy. Here are my questions, thanks.

Is there any way to get the 3 additional provinces I need without incurring a lot of infamy (24 I think, +0.75 non-core HRE provinces per year)? and stop the emperor asking me from releasing the non-core HRE provinces? Will great relation/alliance help?

How to get good advisors? or know when new ones are available apart from the 1-year after start date? Traditions seem really hard to accumulate.

Is there economic and core map mode(s) where I can tell at a glance how much money each provinces are making and which one has cores for which countries?

You need a casus belli that reduced the infamy cost. For example, imperialism (later on in the game), or holy war (earlier in the game) incur only 50% infamy for annexed provinces.

You can get good advisors by increasing your cultural tradition and then hiring the advisor of choice. You can do so either by building specific buildings (academy of fine arts gives +1/year) or certain decisions (like introduce heir/national epic, etc). You can also simply pump it up temporally by using magistrates, either by commissioning paintings (free) or endorsing culture if you have above 50 prestige. The latter costs 10 prestige but gives +8 cultural tradition per magistrate. Once you bring it up nice and high and hire an advisor, there's a good chance you'll get a very skilled on. That's your best bet for a method early on in the game, I think.

The diplomatic map mode shows non-cored provinces in stripes, you can use that and click on the country of choice. For economics, there is an economic map mode that uses red (low) -> green (high) color schemes to indicate province income (relative to your other provinces).

The emperor asks as a random event when you have non-core provinces. Either get a core or suck it up and deny it. The event only comes once per province. Unfortunately there isn't really another way, unless you want to leave the HRE and remove the provinces from the Empire.

The emperor asks as a random event when you have non-core provinces. Either get a core or suck it up and deny it. The event only comes once per province. Unfortunately there isn't really another way, unless you want to leave the HRE and remove the provinces from the Empire.

You could also manually remove a province from the HRE, which is a province-level decision that costs one magistrate and one prestige.

You need a casus belli that reduced the infamy cost. For example, imperialism (later on in the game), or holy war (earlier in the game) incur only 50% infamy for annexed provinces.

I was hoping for CBs much earlier though, like <10 years... Read that PU seems to be the best low BB way to expand, could I get PU by marrying into Firenze and Ancona (and possibly Siena too) and then claim throne and inherit? Probably got to be very lucky to pull it off without huge penalties. Was thinking of releasing the non-core provinces (Pisa and Siena) as vassals then annex them back when Milan becomes emperor so I won't get the prestige hit and Liberation CB against me, but Pisa and Siena both have universities and I don't want to give up the extra research and income. A bit weary about attacking Papal states too, will I be excommunicated if I take Roma by force?

You can get good advisors by increasing your cultural tradition and then hiring the advisor of choice. You can do so either by building specific buildings (academy of fine arts gives +1/year) or certain decisions (like introduce heir/national epic, etc). You can also simply pump it up temporally by using magistrates, either by commissioning paintings (free) or endorsing culture if you have above 50 prestige. The latter costs 10 prestige but gives +8 cultural tradition per magistrate. Once you bring it up nice and high and hire an advisor, there's a good chance you'll get a very skilled on. That's your best bet for a method early on in the game, I think.

Didn't know you can stack them up using multiple magistrates, I will try that then, thanks.

The diplomatic map mode shows non-cored provinces in stripes, you can use that and click on the country of choice. For economics, there is an economic map mode that uses red (low) -> green (high) color schemes to indicate province income (relative to your other provinces).

Was hoping for more, including map mode for countries other than my own. Oh well, can't have everything I guess. Couldn't find the economic map mode, the closest seems to be the revolt map mode with the green and red zones.

So it's only once per province, that's good to know because I was worried that I will get -5 prestige and -2 stability hit every year. Is it likely for the emperor to use his liberation CBs? Northern Italy looks defendible but I am still worried about fighting with big shot like Bohemia.

Is there some limit on how many troops I can have in one province?

There's a supply limit -- which is how many you can have without attrition -- that's set by the province and the forts there. Land tech may affect this as well -- I'm almost positive it does. If you're okay with attrition, the sky's the limit.

No limit. Just if army in province bigger than province can supply, some amount of units will die every month. Looks like "-X%" in army's window (under number with general amount of units).

In my game, Pommerania is the Emperor as a 3PM and has proclaimed Erbkaisertum. I think that I could win a quick victory against them and vassalize them, if I succeed, do they remain emperor as my vassal and can I proceed the game without ever worrying about the HRE ever again? I am playing as Ireland and not part of the Empire.

okhay thank you also what is the holy war cb

Holy War CB allows to declare war to nation with different religion. Don't remember details.

Tip: It's very useful for Japan - only they have Sinto :)

I was hoping for CBs much earlier though, like <10 years... Read that PU seems to be the best low BB way to expand, could I get PU by marrying into Firenze and Ancona (and possibly Siena too) and then claim throne and inherit? Probably got to be very lucky to pull it off without huge penalties. Was thinking of releasing the non-core provinces (Pisa and Siena) as vassals then annex them back when Milan becomes emperor so I won't get the prestige hit and Liberation CB against me, but Pisa and Siena both have universities and I don't want to give up the extra research and income. A bit weary about attacking Papal states too, will I be excommunicated if I take Roma by force?

I have never actually played a full out European country lol, so I can't say about that. It is possible to marry, claim throne, and force the country into a PU through war. You then have to drive up your relationship with said country (negative relationship means cancellation of PU on monarch death - you need a positive relationship to have a chance to inherit or at least maintain the PU) and lower your BB to have a good chance of inheriting. However note that claiming a throne is only possible when the target country has no heir or the heir has weak claim. However, part of EU3 is sitting around waiting for the opportune moment (like a CB, which you can get sometimes as an event), which is somewhat similar to what nations had to do at that point in history in real life. If you could just throw CBs around left and right, invade without infamy hikes, etc, the game wouldn't be as challenging or fun :-D

Was hoping for more, including map mode for countries other than my own. Oh well, can't have everything I guess. Couldn't find the economic map mode, the closest seems to be the revolt map mode with the green and red zones.

When you go into diplomatic mode and then click on a province owned by another country, you will see their diplomatic map. I believe it shows their non-core provinces also. The economic map mode is on the bottom strip second from the left if memory serves me right.

There's a supply limit -- which is how many you can have without attrition -- that's set by the province and the forts there. Land tech may affect this as well -- I'm almost positive it does. If you're okay with attrition, the sky's the limit.

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.

I've got a regency council in my Prussia and can't change my government type. Its not mentioned in the EU3 wiki. Is it WAD?

You get a regency council when you have no ruler or heir that is not old enough(15 years). Its impossible to change government while being in regency, since it requires a ruler to change it, just wait until your regency is over and it should be possible.