• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the point of provincial trade improvements in DW if the province is not a CoT?
CoT in the province is not really relevant at all. Some of the improvements contribute to production as well and all of them increase the trade contributed to whatever CoT that province trades through which would benefit any merchants you have in that CoT.
What improvements should I build in provinces with high production output (like gold mines, salt mines, etc) to increase production income?
Note that gold is not really production income at all; it is not affected by Production Efficiency (local or global) or trade income modifiers. Otherwise, dock, counting house, and most of the trade buildings would probably help.

I just got overextension because my ruler has an administration skill of 1 and I just diplo-annexed 3 provinces. Will this go away if I get a ruler with greater administration, or do I have to wait for my provinces to core?

Karabas- Either or. You can see what the conditions for overextension are in the triggered modifers interface (near papal influence and HRE button). Depending on your centralization and admin, you can have a number of non-core provinces before overextension hits, and whenever you remove the possibility (increasing admin, decreasing centralization (don't do it), or coring) the modifier is removed.

jdrou- That's so lame! Sow Discontent is nearly impossible to succeed at, too :( (I have to stop picking on mercantilists)

Karabas- Either or. You can see what the conditions for overextension are in the triggered modifers interface (near papal influence and HRE button). Depending on your centralization and admin, you can have a number of non-core provinces before overextension hits, and whenever you remove the possibility (increasing admin, decreasing centralization (don't do it), or coring) the modifier is removed.

Thanks guys :)

What's the point of provincial trade improvements in DW if the province is not a CoT?

What improvements should I build in provinces with high production output (like gold mines, salt mines, etc) to increase production income?
Trade income is a little counterintuitive.

Each trade good has a Price, which is influenced by Supply (how much of the good is being produced throughout the world; it's mostly only affected by whether the province is looted/blockaded or not) and Demand, which is unique for each good (for example, naval supplies are a lot more valuable if a war involving lots of big ships is happening, and grain is more valuable when more army buildings exist, among other things). You can mouse over a trade good's price in the province infocard to see all the supply/demand modifiers for that good.

Each province has a number of production Units, which are influenced by population and base tax (units = min(2, pop/100000 + 0.995) + base_tax/20).

A province's Trade Value is given by:

trade_value = (Units*Price + additive_modifiers) * (multiplicative_modifiers + 100%)

Where additive_modifiers is any additions to trade value (the only one that comes to mind is a Trade Depot) and multiplicative_modifiers is stuff like the Prestige and Tropical global trade modifiers, the modifiers from Marketplaces and the like, and any Global Trade Income Modifiers (sound tolls, various decisions, east indian trade route, post offices, etc).

Trade Value can be seen in any province's infocard directly underneath the trade good's Price and, unlike Price, is specific to that province. Trade Value affects:

• A CoT's value is the sum of the trade value of all provinces trading through that CoT (including itself).
  • A province's production income (with the exception of Gold, which behaves differently) is given by production = trade_value * production_efficiency.

Trade income is a little counterintuitive.

Each trade good has a Price, which is influenced by Supply (how much of the good is being produced throughout the world; it's mostly only affected by whether the province is looted/blockaded or not) and Demand, which is unique for each good (for example, naval supplies are a lot more valuable if a war involving lots of big ships is happening, and grain is more valuable when more army buildings exist, among other things). You can mouse over a trade good's price in the province infocard to see all the supply/demand modifiers for that good.

Each province has a number of production Units, which are influenced by population and base tax (units = min(2, pop/100000 + 0.995) + base_tax/20).

A province's Trade Value is given by:

trade_value = (Units*Price + additive_modifiers) * (multiplicative_modifiers + 100%)

Where additive_modifiers is any additions to trade value (the only one that comes to mind is a Trade Depot) and multiplicative_modifiers is stuff like the Prestige and Tropical global trade modifiers, the modifiers from Marketplaces and the like, and any Global Trade Income Modifiers (sound tolls, various decisions, east indian trade route, post offices, etc).

Trade Value can be seen in any province's infocard directly underneath the trade good's Price and, unlike Price, is specific to that province. Trade Value affects:

• A CoT's value is the sum of the trade value of all provinces trading through that CoT (including itself).
  • A province's production income (with the exception of Gold, which behaves differently) is given by production = trade_value * production_efficiency.

That's awesome! Thanks Pewt!

Ok one more:

I'm playing Songhai (Muslim) and it's 1715 now - how come I don't get a CB against heathen countries when I choose Divine Supremacy NI in DW? Is it too late?

yepp - Holy War and other religious stuff (like Excommunication CB etc.) only works until 1650. then you have to use alternate CB's unlocked by newer government forms like Imperialism.

As Scotland I have the provinces of Croatia. Next door the golden horde have Bosnia and Serbia but the are occupied by Bosnia who doesn't have any allies and only has one province in Hun. I want these provinces but I can't seem to get a CB against Bosnia. I want to keep up my trust so I can diplo anex Ulster. How best to proceed?

edit: forget it, they made peace with the GH and before i could blink, the hungarians took both the provinces and a while after england took ulster... time for plan B.

Last edited:
Here's one for you:

As the HRE, I can not release all of the dead/sleeper nations (in particular any new colony-nations like Quebec, Paraguay, Brazil, La Plata, Colombia, Venezuela). I wonder why. I must say I am able to release about the whole of Western Europe + Scandinavia + Great Britian + about all of the Indian states + about all of the "Indonesian" states.
Perhaps my 'release vassal'-list is too crowded?

You can only release a nation if the culture in that nations capital province fits the nations culture, so that might be what prevents your from releasing some of them. I think those american nations have specific cultures which those colonies obviously won't have if you colonised them.

How do you unlock that? Switch to "Empire" for govt?
Somewhat ironically, Empire is not one of the governments eligible for the Imperialism CB (mostly because you can become an Empire even in 1399).
Imperialism requires either
Absolute Monarchy
Enlightened Despotism
Republican Dictatorship
Revolutionary Republic
Revolutionary Empire

You can only release a nation if the culture in that nations capital province fits the nations culture, so that might be what prevents your from releasing some of them. I think those american nations have specific cultures which those colonies obviously won't have if you colonised them.

Crystal-clear. How would I change the capital province's culture?

And an other, new question: when is the 'Promote Cultural Unity' decision disabled? I know of the National Focus prerequisite but not any others. In some of my provinces I am able to promote the cultural unity but in others not.

Crystal-clear. How would I change the capital province's culture?
Generally you don't aside from changing it to your primary culture (by normal culture spread event or using Settlement Policy).
Or you would need to edit the savegame file.
And an other, new question: when is the 'Promote Cultural Unity' decision disabled? I know of the National Focus prerequisite but not any others. In some of my provinces I am able to promote the cultural unity but in others not.
The province culture must be in the same culture group as your primary culture and the province must have your religion.

Hey guys, can't find the answer to this one. Castille declared on aragon in my game. Portugal is allied with aragon and I'm allied to portugal so I let them drag me into it. I was handed control of this war with about a quarter of castille already occupied by aragon and portugal. My question is this, if I make castille cede land to portugal in a peace deal who takes the infamy hit for it?.

Edit: aaaand its me. Ok, I guess that makes sense. Will just reload and have to sit in war until they sue for their own peace.

Last edited:
if I make castille cede land to portugal in a peace deal who takes the infamy hit for it?.
If you make the deal you take the infamy unfortunately. If you hold out long enough either they'll make a separate peace or some of the provinces may start to defect.

Generally you don't aside from changing it to your primary culture (by normal culture spread event or using Settlement Policy).
Or you would need to edit the savegame file.

The province culture must be in the same culture group as your primary culture and the province must have your religion.

And you can only get rid of cores of nations that don't exist at the moment, i was wrong about that before.

Here's one for you:

As the HRE, I can not release all of the dead/sleeper nations (in particular any new colony-nations like Quebec, Paraguay, Brazil, La Plata, Colombia, Venezuela). I wonder why. I must say I am able to release about the whole of Western Europe + Scandinavia + Great Britian + about all of the Indian states + about all of the "Indonesian" states.
Perhaps my 'release vassal'-list is too crowded?

Yeah, New World nations aren't generally releasable, and this is why: USA, for example, has primary culture American in the game files. But there are no American populations in the game unless you start in the late 18th century. On the other hand, if a new world nation breaks free, it gets a new primary culture based on their provinces (thus you sometimes get a Canada with Norwegian primary culture that accepts Spanish and English culture, as an example). If the nation breaks free and is subsequently conquered, they may be releasable if you own provinces with their new primary culture (the primary culture changes once they break free)

This is the same reason you can't force-release new nations (USA, Quebec, etc.), I think.