• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would appreciate if someone could answer all my questions for certainty.

Also, which is best for a WC? Full land or naval? full land gives more manpower (hear good for production), full naval gives more tariffs.

EDIT: How many members do the HRE need for the HRE to get bonuses? (from reforms and from being the HRE)

Last edited:
-I've read somewhere that you can't exactly be the papal states BUT if the Papal States cease to exist, due to annexation and whatnot, and you are a Catholic Theocracy, you'll have the chance to change your government into the Papacy thus, you'll be the new papal state of sort. Whether or not your country name and flag will change to that of the Papal States once you change your government to a papacy, is unknown to me, sorry.

Yeah, you tag switch to the Papal States.

I funded nationalist in Ottoman Bulgaria, in the hopes of Bulgaria declaring independence. They did and after a short war in which I took 4 Bulgarian provinces from the Ottomans and gave them to the Bulgarians there were only two provinces left in Bulgaria which the Ottomans controlled, but they were completely landlocked. Instead of waiting 5 years for the next opportunity to help Bulgaria, I simply funded Bulgarian patriots in these provinces, but after the occupied them, they attacked Bulgaria. Eventually, the provinces went over to Bulgaria, but those Bulgarian patriot rebels are still there. They can't kill them because they're inept apes, I can't kill them because I funded them. How do I help my Bulgarian allies get rid of the Bulgarian patriots occupying half their country?

in one of the provinces who are occupied by the patriots use the spy action to "fund a revolt" as often as you need it, this will raise some kind of rebel who are not funded by you, you just have to get enough of them to destroy the patriot rebel army you funded. complicated and might need some reloading but will work.

Folgore [NL];13197753 said:
I funded nationalist in Ottoman Bulgaria, in the hopes of Bulgaria declaring independence. They did and after a short war in which I took 4 Bulgarian provinces from the Ottomans and gave them to the Bulgarians there were only two provinces left in Bulgaria which the Ottomans controlled, but they were completely landlocked. Instead of waiting 5 years for the next opportunity to help Bulgaria, I simply funded Bulgarian patriots in these provinces, but after the occupied them, they attacked Bulgaria. Eventually, the provinces went over to Bulgaria, but those Bulgarian patriot rebels are still there. They can't kill them because they're inept apes, I can't kill them because I funded them. How do I help my Bulgarian allies get rid of the Bulgarian patriots occupying half their country?
Drag Bulgaria into a war vs someone and that someone will kill the rebels (at Bulgaria's expense). Alternatively, fund more rebels (something nonthreatening, say peasants) until Bulgaria is over half occupied, at which point they'll collapse (I'm pretty sure the Bulgarian patriots will just do nothing).

Last edited:
EDIT: How many members do the HRE need for the HRE to get bonuses? (from reforms and from being the HRE)
If you mean the bonuses that members (but not the Emperor) get for a large Empire it's 25. See big_hre in triggered_modifiers.txt. There are also fixed bonuses for the Emperor and members as well as the Emperor bonus that scales with number of members; these last three have no minimum requirement.

Q. Any idea where I left my disk? I got the expansions and sprite packs from gamer gate, so I know where they are, but the basic game was a gift and came on the disk.
I've tried the bookshelves in the sitting room and front room and my cd/dvd cases.
Any hints will get greatly appreciated. If a hint leads me to the disk, I will rename provinces in your honour and post screen shots as proof.

Q. Any idea where I left my disk? I got the expansions and sprite packs from gamer gate, so I know where they are, but the basic game was a gift and came on the disk.
I've tried the bookshelves in the sitting room and front room and my cd/dvd cases.
Any hints will get greatly appreciated. If a hint leads me to the disk, I will rename provinces in your honour and post screen shots as proof.

Re-buy the basic game on gamersgate :)

Re-buy the basic game on gamersgate :)
While it is annoying to spend $10 on something that you already own the convenience of having the whole game downloadable from GG is probably worth it even if you eventually find the disc.

While it is annoying to spend $10 on something that you already own the convenience of having the whole game downloadable from GG is probably worth it even if you eventually find the disc.

I bought Chronicles off gamersgate with the first sale (7.50 Euros), just for the added convenience of only needing a single install! :)

I just posted a questions regarding Prestige in the other thread *here*, but since I also have some other newbie questions, I thought I'd post them here.

1) Where is the HRE button that's supposed to be on edge of the screen on the right hand side with the Papal influence button? I'm playing as the Teutonic Order and have several of my provinces in the HRE, but I don't see the icon/button anywhere...

2) What can I do about the Inflation? I'm now like 35 years in the game, and already have 12% inflation... Obviously I need to have a certain amount of income allocated to the "treasury" so I don't go bankrupt, but that causes inevitable inflation and there's no way - apart from the one advisor - to reduce it? The two-star advisor that I have reduces inflation by something like 0.4% every year, while having income allocated to the treasure increases it by 0.8% every year... looks like a losing battle. :( Correction: The two-star advisor reduces inflation by 0.04 units per year, while it is increased yearly by almost twice that.

3) What about trading? Is it possible to actually make some big money with it? Does it matter which CoT I send my traders to? Is there a strategy to it, or do I just simply keep sending all my traders to a CoT and hope for the best?

4) My navy sucks. My mighty fleet of 13 galleys and 3 carracks is constantly getting humiliated by enemy fleets who only have like 12 galleys in them. I do have the maintenances at max level, and land - navy slider just slightly to the land side. Is there something I can do about that?

5) The technology sliders... it doesn't look like it makes much difference which tech I'm focusing on, since by far the most contribution towards any tech come from the "current ruler" and "neighbour bonus", which means that all the techs will advance at more or less the same pace regardless of where I focus my budget?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
1) Where is the HRE button that's supposed to be on edge of the screen on the right hand side with the Papal influence button? I'm playing as the Teutonic Order and have several of my provinces in the HRE, but I don't see the icon/button anywhere...
I've heard of this bug before (assuming the HRE still exists and it hasn't been formed/disbanded); try starting a new game and seeing if the icon shows up.

2) What can I do about the Inflation? I'm now like 35 years in the game, and already have 12% inflation... Obviously I need to have a certain amount of income allocated to the "treasury" so I don't go bankrupt, but that causes inevitable inflation and there's no way - apart from the one advisor - to reduce it? The two-star advisor that I have reduces inflation by something like 0.4% every year, while having income allocated to the treasure increases it by 0.8% every year... looks like a losing battle. :(
Get more inflation reduction (a 5 star MotM and National Bank, for starters). That said, if you can't support your units without so much minting you're probably spending too much. Oh, and the general solution to 12 inflation is "don't get 12 inflation", but a lot of patience and slide moves towards free subjects can fix it eventually.

3) What about trading? Is it possible to actually make some big money with it? Does it matter which CoT I send my traders to? Is there a strategy to it, or do I just simply keep sending all my traders to a CoT and hope for the best?
For the moment, send traders to value CoTs you have 60%+ compete chance in. That said, in SP you can afford to ignore trade unless you know the rest of the game; it's good, but it's kind of overkill.

4) My navy sucks. My mighty fleet of 13 galleys and 3 carracks is constantly getting humiliated by enemy fleets who only have like 12 galleys in them. I do have the maintenances at max level, and land - navy slider just slightly to the land side. Is there something I can do about that?
Morale and Admirals both play massive roles in early game naval battles. I'd hazard a guess that your opponent has a ruler with better MIL and probably a decent admiral to boot.

5) The technology sliders... it doesn't look like it makes much difference which tech I'm focusing on, since by far the most contribution towards any tech come from the "current ruler" and "neighbour bonus", which means that all the techs will advance at more or less the same pace regardless of where I focus my budget?
That's because you're so far behind in tech (neighbour bonus) and have so little income. By 1500 it's not too hard to have hundreds of ducats per month in investment if you play your country correctly.

Is there another way to select a province besides clicking on it on the map? I've been having a bit of trouble selcting provinces that my armies are in since no matter where in the province I click, the game always thinks I want to select the army. Normally this isn't a problem but I've never really dealt with the tiny german provinces before. I hate having to get my mouse on just the right pixel to select something.

Is there another way to select a province besides clicking on it on the map? I've been having a bit of trouble selcting provinces that my armies are in since no matter where in the province I click, the game always thinks I want to select the army. Normally this isn't a problem but I've never really dealt with the tiny german provinces before. I hate having to get my mouse on just the right pixel to select something.
Unfortunately, not that I know of (unless it's a CoT). That said, it's a lot easier to re-select an army if it's already selected, so try deselecting it. If you zoom in it should be pretty easy to get all but the smallest provinces (Corfu, I'm looking at you).

You could search for the province by clicking on the arrow that points to the right on the bottom right of your screen, if you know the province's name.