• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Colonial uprising? Did you miss what I said?

1. They weren't colonies.
2. They (Conoy+Delaware) didn't belong to me, and the countries that did own them had cores there.
3. There was no "Colonial Uprising" war. See the above two reasons for the why. They didn't take my provinces (again, not Conoy+Delaware, but the ones surrounding them) which had level 4 forts by force, it was just given to them, even though they were mine.
4. The war that did start didn't allow any of what you claim. To get my land back (all my cores), would take the full cost and 3 BB (-1 for defensive). In fact, I wouldn't have been able to take them all anyway, since the cost was too high.

But it's fine now. I thought if the game wanted to cheat, then so could I. I took their offer for white peace, and declared war using reconquest CB the next day. Then I just cheated myself more stability to make up for the 5 stability cost.

Do you not see the problem here? It seems obvious to me.

My question was why did this happen? How does the game determine stuff like this?

It would, but the game mechanics don't work like that.

I'm not sure what rebels. Whatever it is that the REB tag represents. The point is that it gets very buggy.

Sounds like it needs to be fixed....

What about this questioN: Can rebels seize or destroy a colony?

Colonial uprising? Did you miss what I said?

1. They weren't colonies.
2. They (Conoy+Delaware) didn't belong to me, and the countries that did own them had cores there.
3. There was no "Colonial Uprising" war. See the above two reasons for the why. They didn't take my provinces (again, not Conoy+Delaware, but the ones surrounding them) which had level 4 forts by force, it was just given to them, even though they were mine.
4. The war that did start didn't allow any of what you claim. To get my land back (all my cores), would take the full cost and 3 BB (-1 for defensive). In fact, I wouldn't have been able to take them all anyway, since the cost was too high.

But it's fine now. I thought if the game wanted to cheat, then so could I. I took their offer for white peace, and declared war using reconquest CB the next day. Then I just cheated myself more stability to make up for the 5 stability cost.

Do you not see the problem here? It seems obvious to me.

My question was why did this happen? How does the game determine stuff like this?

I read what you said, and you are wrong.

It is in America. Everything in america is, while not necessarily in game terms, but in reality, colonies. The country emerging is a colonial revolter state. The war is titled "War of xyz Revolution". Thus, in my book it is a colonial Revolution war.

And the war DOES allow what i claim. I don't know about when it starts in an other country, since i did not have a safegame with another state handy at that moment. I felt the need to absolutely confirm this because i usually don't let people revolt in my colonies. But when i just tested it 5 minutes ago, and let guys revolt all over america, and break free, in that war ("War of Haitian Revolution", in this case) i could annex them completely for 0 infamy. Note that i do not mean taking some provinces. I mean using the "Annex" button. Taking just some provinces means that you recognize their right to exist as a seperate state, and thus gain infamy from stuff you take from them.

And the answer to your "question" is that colonial revolts work a bit different, and there they get all their cores if they succeed somewhere. Probably to make a colonial uprising somehow a bit more relevant, and maybe because the colonist think of themselves as americans, and thus don't really care about how the european powers split them up. Easy to take care of by either killing rebels, or annexing the whole revolting country. Would probably even give you those two swedish provinces

Until you westernise your military. And they should come up every 10 years if you choose the "accept the demands" thingy which gives you the -2RR for ten years.

Basically, you westernise, you get that 50% stab "Western influences" thing (not 100% on the name"), then you get "x resists westernisation" until you westernise your military, and while the 10-year buff is active you can't get another of those events, but you also can't westernise your military. Once you westernise the military, you get another bad debuff for a few years that does all sorts of bad stuff, but you lose the +50% stab costs, and the "resist westernisation" also stops. Once that last effect goes away, you are completely westernised.

First, I want to say that I'm sorry if my last few posts were rude. I usually try to keep civil, but I'm afraid I was rather frustrated by something which (in my opinion) is unfair. Again, I'm sorry if I was rude.

Now, let me respond to your points:

1. I'm playing as Cherokee. In other words, the provinces I lost wouldn't be considered colonies.
2. I don't believe it gave me the choice to annex, considering that not all of the provinces they had were my cores. I didn't even want to annex them. Had the provinces taken over by the American separatists been the only land they gained, I wouldn't have even cared, since it makes sense for that to happen. I cared when all the land around those two were also lost, even though they never even set foot on land belonging to me.
3. You're absolutely right about them seeing themselves as American, so they gained cores on those provinces, and I agree with you. In fact, I once again didn't even care about the cores they gained on my land.

Going with my third point, I think I need to clear something up. I have no issue with them gaining cores on my land, since I figure that would happen. The problem I do have is that a single rebel unit which took two provinces not belonging to me, Somehow managed to gain those two provinces along with every other border province. All of which belonged to me, were highly defended, and had several thousand troops stationed in each.

In fact, if by some chance that small rebel unit had managed to occupy all that land, then I wouldn't have been surprised to have lost it when they formed the USA. The problem I have is that the only provinces which should form the new country are the ones taken over by the rebels which are spawned in the revolution.

Here's my new question: is there something I can change to make it so that the only provinces which switch are the ones being occupied by the rebels? I'd love to do that, since it makes more sense to me.

Edit: Just to make it clear, this was in response to Simberto.

First, I want to say that I'm sorry if my last few posts were rude. I usually try to keep civil, but I'm afraid I was rather frustrated by something which (in my opinion) is unfair. Again, I'm sorry if I was rude.

Now, let me respond to your points:

1. I'm playing as Cherokee. In other words, the provinces I lost wouldn't be considered colonies.
2. I don't believe it gave me the choice to annex, considering that not all of the provinces they had were my cores. I didn't even want to annex them. Had the provinces taken over by the American separatists been the only land they gained, I wouldn't have even cared, since it makes sense for that to happen. I cared when all the land around those two were also lost, even though they never even set foot on land belonging to me.
3. You're absolutely right about them seeing themselves as American, so they gained cores on those provinces, and I agree with you. In fact, I once again didn't even care about the cores they gained on my land.

Going with my third point, I think I need to clear something up. I have no issue with them gaining cores on my land, since I figure that would happen. The problem I do have is that a single rebel unit which took two provinces not belonging to me, Somehow managed to gain those two provinces along with every other border province. All of which belonged to me, were highly defended, and had several thousand troops stationed in each.

In fact, if by some chance that small rebel unit had managed to occupy all that land, then I wouldn't have been surprised to have lost it when they formed the USA. The problem I have is that the only provinces which should form the new country are the ones taken over by the rebels which are spawned in the revolution.

Here's my new question: is there something I can change to make it so that the only provinces which switch are the ones being occupied by the rebels? I'd love to do that, since it makes more sense to me.

Edit: Just to make it clear, this was in response to Simberto.

Meh, you are right. I, too, want to apologize for being rude. I should really stop writing in forums when i am hungry, i become way to bitchy.

Regarding the actual mechanics, yes, it is a bit strange. However, as i said before, i think it is mainly to give some relevance to those uprisings. Of course it is a bit illogical if you as a native american control those provinces, but that is also a pretty rare occurence unless you force it to be as a player. Basically, i think the game is mostly focussed on europe, and thus the countries in america are primarily thought as food for conquistadores.

If it were 2 european countries, the whole situation makes a lot more sense, when those (probably local) guys in the other fortresses see how the revolution succeeds, and decide that they, too, want to be part of that new american nation rather than being exploited further by the colonisers. The way to stop that is to bring in overwhelming military force to reconquer your territory. Basically, i think of that first war as the next, more organised step in the revolution, and they are only recognized as a real country if they are able to defend those provinces. Which is represented in the fact that in that war, you can still completely annex the country for 0 infamy.

For most other revolutions, i think it works like you describe, american ones are just a bit different. But i donÄt know about modding, so no idea how you would go ahead and change that.

I know the historical leaders/advisors/rulers has been taken out, but is there any way to mod the historical rulers option back in? I realize why it was taken out but I always enjoyed using the rulers option for small scenarios. Thanks.

Until you westernise your military. And they should come up every 10 years if you choose the "accept the demands" thingy which gives you the -2RR for ten years.

Basically, you westernise, you get that 50% stab "Western influences" thing (not 100% on the name"), then you get "x resists westernisation" until you westernise your military, and while the 10-year buff is active you can't get another of those events, but you also can't westernise your military. Once you westernise the military, you get another bad debuff for a few years that does all sorts of bad stuff, but you lose the +50% stab costs, and the "resist westernisation" also stops. Once that last effect goes away, you are completely westernised.

Well crap, now I have to get down to -5 centralization somehow, I don't know how thats even possible in 1530.

I know the historical leaders/advisors/rulers has been taken out, but is there any way to mod the historical rulers option back in? I realize why it was taken out but I always enjoyed using the rulers option for small scenarios. Thanks.

I'm rather certain historical leaders are still in. You are talking about going to options at the screen where you select a country, then changing the options for leaders and such, right? If so, I can still set them to historical.

Only historical rulers were removed and the only way to mod it back in is by creating events and using the "event" option.

I am pretty sure they don't. This stuff always uses the rulers diplomacy rating, not the one you get after modifiers, otherwise you could easily westernise with any ruler by adding 2 countries to your SoI.

Do stat bonuses like +2 diplomacy from being in the empire affect the mtth for events? Namely the Claims on our Rivals event?

I am pretty sure they don't. This stuff always uses the rulers diplomacy rating, not the one you get after modifiers, otherwise you could easily westernise with any ruler by adding 2 countries to your SoI.

They don't. Only the unmodified ruler stats affect events (MTTH, triggers, etc).

I have a quick question.

One thing I've never understood is the concept of tolerance. What does it do? I know about the 3 different groups (true, hereticheathenen), and the religions within those groups, but I don't understand what having high or low tolerance does. I can't see any benefit for having high tolerance, since all it seems to do is cause my provinces to switch religions which means I have to try and bring them back.

So what are the benefits of having high/low tolerance?

I have a quick question.

One thing I've never understood is the concept of tolerance. What does it do? I know about the 3 different groups (true, hereticheathenen), and the religions within those groups, but I don't understand what having high or low tolerance does. I can't see any benefit for having high tolerance, since all it seems to do is cause my provinces to switch religions which means I have to try and bring them back.

So what are the benefits of having high/low tolerance?

It depends on the circumstances, and on your goals. During the turmoil of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation, there are advantages to being Narrowminded, with low tolerance for other religious sects... if, that is, you want to keep your old religion. During other time peroids (or if you do want to switch religions), high tolerance and low Narrowmindedness has advantages.

A question about "Border friction" CB:
I got this CB on Portugal, and as no land is good land until it comes under the benign rule of the king of France, I promptly declared war. I'm certain I managed to select the CB in the DoW menu (no stab drop occurred), yet when I sue for peace a a couple of years later, I still have to take 4 infamy/province for the provinces that were mentioned in the CB tooltip.

Am I missing something or is the CB bugged or glitched in some way?

I got this CB on Portugal, and as no land is good land until it comes under the benign rule of the king of France, I promptly declared war. I'm certain I managed to select the CB in the DoW menu (no stab drop occurred), yet when I sue for peace a a couple of years later, I still have to take 4 infamy/province for the provinces that were mentioned in the CB tooltip.

As I remember, you only get the 0 BB for the province that caused this border friction (for having a core on that province) and incur the normal 4 BB in any other province.

As I remember, you only get the 0 BB for the province that caused this border friction (for having a core on that province) and incur the normal 4 BB in any other province.
You're confusing Border Friction with Boundary Dispute.

Are you certain you selected that CB and you didn't have multiples? Check the war's name.

In addition, are you attempting to annex them? Border Friction won't provide any infamy reduction for annexation.

Are you certain you selected that CB and you didn't have multiples? Check the war's name.

I didn't have any other CB on them, and I'm sure that I did select a CB when declaring war, so yes, I'm certain. It was the "Second French-Portugese Border War".

In addition, are you attempting to annex them? Border Friction won't provide any infamy reduction for annexation.

No, I only requested two provinces. The tooltip for the CB listed four provinces as "eligible" for reduced infamy, but as I had to take 4 infamy/province, I only took two of the listed ones.