• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He's not a member of the HRE at all. He's just the emperor (like GB being voted emperor through vassalages or something). I don't know the answer to our question, though.

For the second time in my EU3 career I have a christian Granada surviving for a long time now after getting force-released from Castille by Aragon-Portugal. They were even able to expand a bit without my help. Afterwards I allied them and even were able to PU them without claiming the throne but now the question:
I would like to "upgrade" them to western tech group. When I inherit and release them afterwards, what happens to their tech group? They are really very good and trustful allies, always fighting for me in my campaigns and I want to help them now, too :)

Hey guys, quick question on Personal Unions. I'm fairly sure that any provinces that you inherit of your culture become cores on inheritance. Is this true for other cultures within your culture group. If not, would it be true if my country is a culture union (Russia in this case).

Hey guys, quick question on Personal Unions. I'm fairly sure that any provinces that you inherit of your culture become cores on inheritance. Is this true for other cultures within your culture group. If not, would it be true if my country is a culture union (Russia in this case).

I'm pretty sure it is culture group, not culture.

For the second time in my EU3 career I have a christian Granada surviving for a long time now after getting force-released from Castille by Aragon-Portugal. They were even able to expand a bit without my help. Afterwards I allied them and even were able to PU them without claiming the throne but now the question:
I would like to "upgrade" them to western tech group. When I inherit and release them afterwards, what happens to their tech group? They are really very good and trustful allies, always fighting for me in my campaigns and I want to help them now, too :)
They would stay muslim tech group(around 90% certain), sadly, BUT IIRC Granada starts with the sliders to westernize, so, if you get a border with them and wait for a while they might just westernize on their own.

They would stay muslim tech group(around 90% certain), sadly, BUT IIRC Granada starts with the sliders to westernize, so, if you get a border with them and wait for a while they might just westernize on their own.

yes, they will be in their original tech.group - on the other hand, Granada's starting sliders are -3 cent. and -2 innovative (by wiki, HttT 4.1 - don't know if they changed that in DW) so it is very likely that they can pull it off since they only need one innovative step. I've personally seen Granada westernize in one of my games -however there is a debate about the AI intentionally moving it's sliders, though I am fairly sure that it tends to favor centralization. on innovative, I don't know but I've seen a couple of other AI nations westernize including Oman and even Algiers which starts with... well, not perfect sliders for that.

yes, they will be in their original tech.group - on the other hand, Granada's starting sliders are -3 cent. and -2 innovative (by wiki, HttT 4.1 - don't know if they changed that in DW) so it is very likely that they can pull it off since they only need one innovative step. I've personally seen Granada westernize in one of my games -however there is a debate about the AI intentionally moving it's sliders, though I am fairly sure that it tends to favor centralization. on innovative, I don't know but I've seen a couple of other AI nations westernize including Oman and even Algiers which starts with... well, not perfect sliders for that.

Just checked them. They did indeed westernize but sadly only to Oriental Tech Group + Units. I am quite sure they would go even further when they match the "20 techs behind" requirements again. Anything else is fine. Centralization -2 and Innovative -4.

Got a few PU-questions:

If a country I want to force into a PU has PU with another country (like Denmark with Sweden and Norway), would I get those other PUs as well then? Or would they simply just break=

What if I was monarch of one nation (Let's say England), and the king of France was emperor through hereditary rule, would I then if forcing France into a personal union become the holy roman emperor?

Is claiming throne the only way right now to get a PU-casus belli? Is there still some spy action or some other way?

Got a few PU-questions:

If a country I want to force into a PU has PU with another country (like Denmark with Sweden and Norway), would I get those other PUs as well then? Or would they simply just break=

What if I was monarch of one nation (Let's say England), and the king of France was emperor through hereditary rule, would I then if forcing France into a personal union become the holy roman emperor?

Is claiming throne the only way right now to get a PU-casus belli? Is there still some spy action or some other way?

1. In this scenario, you'd get Denmark, but Sweden and Norway would be independent.

2. I suspect, but cannot prove, that some other HRE member would get the Imperial Crown. Now, if you joined the HRE first? I think you'd get the crown.

3. There is a spy action (Fabricate Claims), but it's a little more restrictive than simply claiming the throne, although without the relations hit. Check the tool tip; you'll need to select the country's capital for it to show up.

Is it worth inflating to build certain buildings? If not, how about manufactories? If so, which buildings?

I'm trying to develop my country quickly, but I don't know the cost-vs-benefit of inflation-vs-improvements. Also, if it matters, I'm floating around 9% inflation, and I do have the Central Bank national idea.

No. France stays HRE until you inherit them. After you inherit the HRE gets very buggy, with the Rebels becoming the new Emperor.

What rebels? And ...if France is HRE and I am Frances monarch, wouldn't that mean I am the HRE? >_>

Alright, this is stupid.

I saw some rebels in Conoy (owned by Sweden), and saw they were separatists for the USA. Well, I was fine with that, so I let them stay there. They took Conoy and Delaware, and that was it. I had troops positioned in every spot around those two locations, to make sure they didn't take any of my land. Finally, they formed the USA. However, and what made me so angry, is that the moment they did that every single province bordering Conoy and Delaware became part of the USA. Every one of those provinces belonged to me, and my troops stationed there, and were cored by me. Is this how it isupposeded to work? If it is, it's the most idiotic design I've ever seen. Why should my heavily defended land with 0% revolt risk suddenly be lost?!

So now I have to take the land back in the war that followed (again, makes no sense), and I have to take the BB hit from getting my land back.

They seriously need to change how that works.

Last edited:
Alright, this is stupid.

I saw some rebels in Conoy (owned by Sweden), and saw they were separatists for the USA. Well, I was fine with that, so I let them stay there. They took Conoy and Delaware, and that was it. I had troops positioned in every spot around those two locations, to make sure they didn't take any of my land. Finally, they formed the USA. However, and what made me so angry, is that the moment they did that every single province bordering Conoy and Delaware became part of the USA. Every one of those provinces belonged to me, and my troops stationed there, and were cored by me. Is this how it isupposeded to work? If it is, it's the most idiotic design I've ever seen. Why should my heavily defended land with 0% revolt risk suddenly be lost?!

So now I have to take the land back in the war that followed (again, makes no sense), and I have to take the BB hit from getting my land back.

They seriously need to change how that works.

As far as i know, as long as you annex them completely in that colonial uprising war, it does not cost you infamy. Otherwise, this is a "question" thread, not a complain about stuff thread.