• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there any way for me to prevent sneaky countries (bloody Portugal) to declare war on someone I am warring and just go around and start sieging up everything? Kind of painfull when I am stuck in a battle with my main force just barely winning and noticing in the meantime that they went around and sieged up everything, making me unable to get the provinses, is there any way out of this except warring on Portugal?

Not really, the AI likes to jump on countries that are in trouble so if Portugal wants those regions and they have an oprotunity, they will take them. The only way you can really prevent this, short of going to war with Portugal, is to have your armies positioned to get to those regions first. If you were to tell us what region you're in we could probably help you more but if you could just get a few extra troops and drop them behind enemy lines right when the war starts (or after the first big battle begins). You'll get to those regions before Port can.

As long as you still have a high War Capacity try warning them, I think the AI does not consider the fact that you can't actually join the war without glitching the system. I have not tested this method in DW though.

Not really, the AI likes to jump on countries that are in trouble so if Portugal wants those regions and they have an oprotunity, they will take them. The only way you can really prevent this, short of going to war with Portugal, is to have your armies positioned to get to those regions first. If you were to tell us what region you're in we could probably help you more but if you could just get a few extra troops and drop them behind enemy lines right when the war starts (or after the first big battle begins). You'll get to those regions before Port can.

Much of the combat was done in north africa, but ye, I suppose I am getting confused by the AI missions wanting me to be friends with portugal and the fact that they are so... aggressive in their conquest. Ohh well, with practice comes experience I suppose, that said.

What is a force limit? is it the same as a supply limit or is it a different limit?

Is there any quick way of finding a country? I know how to find a province but can't figure out if there is anyway to actually find countries.

Last edited:

Another thing to do, if you can't get to the regions first, is to not destroy the enemy armies.

Assuming you have the numbers, just back the enemy stack into a corner, besiege their regions, take what you need, & let the enemy retain an army. I was kicking myself last game for Holy Warring against the Ottomans, destroying their armies, then finding I could only take 4 of their regions in the peace deal despite a 100% war score, & watching as the Papal State, Achaea, Morea, & a few others helped themselves to the rest.

If you leave your enemy with an army, it'll deter some of the rabble from attacking. Bit of a weird thing to do though.

Another thing to do, if you can't get to the regions first, is to not destroy the enemy armies.

Assuming you have the numbers, just back the enemy stack into a corner, besiege their regions, take what you need, & let the enemy retain an army. I was kicking myself last game for Holy Warring against the Ottomans, destroying their armies, then finding I could only take 4 of their regions in the peace deal despite a 100% war score, & watching as the Papal State, Achaea, Morea, & a few others helped themselves to the rest.
If you leave your enemy with an army, it'll deter some of the rabble from attacking. Bit of a weird thing to do though.

Precisely what happened with Portugal unfortunately, it took me a couple of games before I realised that without a CB it didn't matter if I held every province, still couldn't annex it XD
I feel as if I am having an issue with my gold supply aswell, is there anywhere I can go and read about that stuff?

Much of the combat was done in north africa, but ye, I suppose I am getting confused by the AI missions wanting me to be friends with portugal and the fact that they are so... aggressive in their conquest. Ohh well, with practice comes experience I suppose, that said.

What is a force limit? is it the same as a supply limit or is it a different limit?
No. The supply limit is a characteristic of a province, which describes how many troops you can put there before they start dieing from attrition. The force limit is a characteristic of your country, which describes how many troops you can have before their costs start to increase with the square of the amount you have instead of linearly. Basically, stuff gets a lot more expensive if you are over your force limits, and progressively more expensive the further above it you are.

Is there any quick way of finding a country? I know how to find a province but can't figure out if there is anyway to actually find countries.

Not that i know of, however, if you for example are at war with that country, you can click on its icon in the war screen, and you will go there. If it is large enough, just zoom out and look for its name on the world map. And, quite honestly, if i really can't find it i will just google, and then just look where it should be historically^^

Precisely what happened with Portugal unfortunately, it took me a couple of games before I realised that without a CB it didn't matter if I held every province, still couldn't annex it XD
I feel as if I am having an issue with my gold supply aswell, is there anywhere I can go and read about that stuff?

You should be able to annex the provinces without a CB you would just take an infamy hit. The only way you can annex an entire country is if they only have one region, if they have more than 1 then you have to take all their other provinces outside of their capital first before you can annex them. Some countries like the native american countries you can just annex right away but for European and North African you have to keep eating away at them.

As for your gold troubles a couple of tips.

1. When you aren't at war reduce your military maintenance to as low as possible, but keep in mind if you go all the way to 0 your armies and navies will never heal and if they do get in combat they will be at a great disadvantage. I ussually keep mine at around 10-20% during peacetime and then raise it up to 50-100% in war time, depending on how strong I need my army to be. This will save you a ton of gold.

2. Build production and trade builidngs in your best provinces,these things pay themselves off pretty quick.

3. Get the national bank idea if you really need money, it will allow you to mint some money while not gaining inflation. I would tend to avoid minting though if it would give you inflation and you don't really need the money.

4. If you're the first to discover the Aztecs, Mayas, or inca you can send a few guys over there and beat their armies pretty easily. They ussually have quite a bit of gold so you can easily get some good money off them in the peace deal.

You should be able to annex the provinces without a CB you would just take an infamy hit. The only way you can annex an entire country is if they only have one region, if they have more than 1 then you have to take all their other provinces outside of their capital first before you can annex them. Some countries like the native american countries you can just annex right away but for European and North African you have to keep eating away at them.

This is not exactly correct. You can annex a country if the total peace cost of all of their provinces is less than 100%. In Europe, this usually means countries with up to 3-5 provinces, more if the provinces are poor. The only influence CBs have on this is that they might reduce the peace cost, making you able to annex larger countries. And of course they can reduce the infamy of taking those provinces, because taking provinces for 4 infamy each means that you can maybe take 1 province every 4 years or so, probably less in the beginning.

As for capitals, you can't demand those in peace deals (except for annexation, of course) unless they are isolated, meaning that the country has not adjacent provinces, and if the capitol has a port, also no other coastal provinces.

For the shamanistic and animistic countries, which apparently are considered heathen primitives, and for colonies which are not yet self-sustaining, you also gain the possibility to simply take their land without a peace deal, and usually for a pretty small amount of infamy, too. However, both of those are different situation than simply wanting to annex some country. And in that case, the tooltip states the problem: "The total peace costs of their provinces are too high", or something along those lines. Portugal is to large to be annexed in one war unless you get a good CB, that is correct.

No. After 50 years, you can iintegrate the country manually, however this is not adviseable, as it costs infamy and 1 stab, and does not have the advantages of inheriting i describe below.

Keep your Prestige and relations with those PUs positive, and ally them. They will help you in wars, and each time in the future your ruler dies (and you are not at war at that time), there is a quite large chance of inheriting them. This is not only absolutely infamy-free conquest, if they are of the same culture group as you, or you both are inside the HRE, you will also instantly gain cores on all of their provinces, and keep all of the buildings they have built so far. This might not happen over night, but since they will support you in any of your wars without questioning, and you will eventually gain them anyways, this is often superior to simply annexing. It is free of infamy, and you can do this to large countries, too. Inheriting Castille is quite useful, for example.

The Tariff value is basically the same as production in provinces which are not distant voerseas. The ships just need to exist, it does not matter where they are. But as you stated, it might be smart to have some in the colonies because of pirates.

It does kind of matter, if you don't have navel patrols in the area it gives tax a -25%, whether or not a pirate is there.

Of course, it keeps pirates away as well, so having them spread out is just generally a good idea.

This is not exactly correct. You can annex a country if the total peace cost of all of their provinces is less than 100%. In Europe, this usually means countries with up to 3-5 provinces, more if the provinces are poor. The only influence CBs have on this is that they might reduce the peace cost, making you able to annex larger countries. And of course they can reduce the infamy of taking those provinces, because taking provinces for 4 infamy each means that you can maybe take 1 province every 4 years or so, probably less in the beginning.

As for capitals, you can't demand those in peace deals (except for annexation, of course) unless they are isolated, meaning that the country has not adjacent provinces, and if the capitol has a port, also no other coastal provinces.

For the shamanistic and animistic countries, which apparently are considered heathen primitives, and for colonies which are not yet self-sustaining, you also gain the possibility to simply take their land without a peace deal, and usually for a pretty small amount of infamy, too. However, both of those are different situation than simply wanting to annex some country. And in that case, the tooltip states the problem: "The total peace costs of their provinces are too high", or something along those lines. Portugal is to large to be annexed in one war unless you get a good CB, that is correct.

Yeah you're right, I got things mixed up with Victoria 2 for a second.

Can any one please explain in a simple way what is Trade agreement ? and how its good for me ? and what are the leagues ?

I'm playing as Holland and I'm in year 1405 now ?? just wanna know these things so i won't miss any chance

Can any one please explain in a simple way what is Trade agreement ? and how its good for me ? and what are the leagues ?

I'm playing as Holland and I'm in year 1405 now ?? just wanna know these things so i won't miss any chance

It is basically an agreement which means that you and that specific country won't compete in any trade centres.

For a human player only needful if you are able to pass it with a trading power with lots of trade competing chances. But the AI mostly rejects the proposal unless you are a trading power yourself (like Holland for example) or when you are heavy mercantilistic and own one or more rich trade centres.

I rarely had any trade agreements. It may be useful for allied nations to keep up the relations otherwise it is not worth it imo.

A trade agreement means that you won't compete with the person you have the agreement with unless there is no other choice (ie everyone in the CoT has agreements with one another/are in the same trade league [trade leagues are basically a giant multi-party trade agreement with some extra perks]). Basically, most of the time when you try to send a merchant to a CoT with no slots left it will have you compete with the worst competitor (if you succeed you kick them out, if not you fail to get in), but if you two have a trade agreement it will not consider either of you a valid target for competition by the other unless there is no other choice. It hurts your trade efficiency a bit so you shouldn't really use it unless you have a very good reason to.

Can I do anything about my heir to the throne having a "weak" claim?
Raise the legitimacy I suppose, have no idea why it dropped to begin with -.-

I don't think so. The best thing you can do is to arrange as many royal marriages as you can after he came to power and to get that advisor that gives you 1% legitimacy per star each year. There are also events and decisions which boost it too but RM's and that advisor (Field Marshal or what his name was) is the easiest and most efficient way.

Can I do anything about my heir to the throne having a "weak" claim?
Raise the legitimacy I suppose, have no idea why it dropped to begin with -.-

No, you will have to wait until he gets the throne, at which point his claim will become his legitimacy, which you then can increase easily by marrying half of europe.