• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yea, I am using guerilla tactics at the moment and until now I am quite fine, still not one province lost while colonizing into the north now.

Another short question:

Is it worth a try to stick on those indian troops (rather for fun and roleplaying)? They have muskets now as well and even horses. Or should I definetaly modernize it?

Is there any event I can get via a National Idea or sth else which gives free centralization slider moves?

I am Aztec and western tech group now but I still need 2 slider moves for the military modernization asap.England, Portugal and Castille are making more and more trouble, I need this modernization.

Those burning earth tactics wont help forever...

My warriors are brave but those muskets dont care :sad:

A couple of decisions give you free centralization -- Militia Act is one, but I think you can't do that until you get into the modernized group. No NI will give you centralization slider moves (to my knowledge), but a handful of events will. You just have to get lucky.

Yea, I am using guerilla tactics at the moment and until now I am quite fine, still not one province lost while colonizing into the north now.

Another short question:

Is it worth a try to stick on those indian troops (rather for fun and roleplaying)? They have muskets now as well and even horses. Or should I definetaly modernize it?

I don't recall which group Aztecs are in, but if the Westerners haven't shown up yet, you may need to modernize just to survive. If Europeans aren't a problem, I see no reason why you couldn't stay with your original troops.

How easy is a WC to obtain? Am I bad if I've never gotten one? I've been playing for a bit, but it seems that in the end I always get thrashed (which is fun regardless, but it's a little disappointing thinking I suck at the game)

How easy is a WC to obtain? Am I bad if I've never gotten one? I've been playing for a bit, but it seems that in the end I always get thrashed (which is fun regardless, but it's a little disappointing thinking I suck at the game)

To be honest, it is not really hard. If you start as a strong country, you can do it easily without ever going over your infamy limit. If you start as a smaller one, you might have to start infamy wars in the last part of the game since you might not have enough time left. Basically, if you expand a bit, you reach a point where the AI can not win a war against you, no matter the circumstance. From there on, it is just slowly expanding until you own all the world, or, if you have no time left at some point, ignore the infamy limit, kill a lot of rebels and annex everything. However, i can understand everyone who does not want to do it, since it is basically not very interesting for large amounts of the game, just fight a war, gain 5-6 provinces, wait until your infamy is gone, repeat. If the AI is unable to kill any of your armies, no matter what they do, there is not much more to it.

is it possible to westrnise the unit types too ? and how ?
I'm playing the mamlukes and very soon i will change the gov type and probably westernize in the next 30 years

Yes; once you've westernized, you'll get an option to modernize your military. More or less the same requirements as westerinzation.

is it possible to westrnise the unit types too ? and how ?
I'm playing the mamlukes and very soon i will change the gov type and probably westernize in the next 30 years

Wait until you are Western Tech group and there are no "western influences" left. If they are gone (after 10 years) immediately modernize your army or they will come back and you have to wait another 10 years.

What you need is:
+3 Stability
ADM leader with at least 7 skill
Full (-5) centralization

Wait until you are Western Tech group and there are no "western influences" left. If they are gone (after 10 years) immediately modernize your army or they will come back and you have to wait another 10 years.

What you need is:
+3 Stability
ADM leader with at least 7 skill
Full (-5) centralization

You don't actually need to modernize immediately, when you get the "Western influence" event, simply don't answer the event, modernize, then accept the resist western influence after modernizing and you'll get a nifty -2 revolt risk to soften up the -6(?) you get for a few years after modernizing.

Ofcourse you need the 5 centralization, 3 stability, and 7 admin leader ready for the event as well.

anyone knows what determines the government form the AI switches to?

I know there are default governments for revolting nations and such but I couldn't find out why would one AI monarchy would go admin.mon. and why another abs.mon.? is it absolutely random or are there factors for it? hardcoded maybe?

1. Making vassals: I am Castile (now Spanish Empire), and as yet have had no luck in acquiring Navarre. I guaranteed them at the get-go, have kept RMs + alliance pretty much in place. But, even with +200 relations, if I try to vassalize them the note says it is impossible. Why? -- low DIP ruler or some such?

2. Claiming throne: I got the "Claim Throne" CB on Navarre once or twice, but was unable to acquire them for some reason. It was awhile ago, but maybe I was afraid 'cause they were also allied with France or England or some such so I didn't DW.

3. Colonies & navy strength: I have read on a couple of threads that you need a super huge navy if you're going to be successful with colonies. So, OK, I understand blockades, and have dealt with lots of pirates "in the Caribbean.":p Is there more to the Colonies + Navy thing than keeping your ports unblockaded?

3. Colonies & navy strength: I have read on a couple of threads that you need a super huge navy if you're going to be successful with colonies. So, OK, I understand blockades, and have dealt with lots of pirates "in the Caribbean.":p Is there more to the Colonies + Navy thing than keeping your ports unblockaded?

You need one small or large ship per colony. If you have 500 colonies, you need 500 small or large ships. This is to keep tariffs at 100%, and bring you their full value.

If you have 100 colonies and 50 ships, you get only 50% of the tariff value.

You need one small or large ship per colony. If you have 500 colonies, you need 500 small or large ships. This is to keep tariffs at 100%, and bring you their full value. If you have 100 colonies and 50 ships, you get only 50% of the tariff value.
OK, I think I understand that. Is the tariff value the same as the trade income? Do the ships have to actually be in the colonies, or can they be in your large fleet patrolling the Stait of Gibraltar?

New questions:

1. Governments: I think I've still got a Feudal Monarchy government in my Spanish Empire. Should I change governments?

2. New Sprites: Do the sprites (e.g., the new Reformation & Enlightment sprites) add to the game play, or are they simply cosmetic?

1. Making vassals: I am Castile (now Spanish Empire), and as yet have had no luck in acquiring Navarre. I guaranteed them at the get-go, have kept RMs + alliance pretty much in place. But, even with +200 relations, if I try to vassalize them the note says it is impossible. Why? -- low DIP ruler or some such?

You have probably not expended your Sphere of Influence. You can do this by clicking on a small country, and choose the "Expand Sphere of Influence" diplomatic option. This costs a bit of prestige, gives you a CB against anyone who meddles with them, and more importantly, increases your diplomatic skill and gives an increase in magistrates. So, you can get a pretty high Diplomatic value even if your king is not that good by expanding your SoI more, which
greatly helps in diplomatic vassalisations and so on.

2. Claiming throne: I got the "Claim Throne" CB on Navarre once or twice, but was unable to acquire them for some reason. It was awhile ago, but maybe I was afraid 'cause they were also allied with France or England or some such so I didn't DW.
If you claim a throne, you get that CB, which makes you able to force them into a PU, and in case their king dies without getting a legal heir, you get that PU anyways. However, that very rarely happens, so usually you just ruin your relations with everyone you have a RM with without gaining anything if you do not plan on warring them.

OK, I think I understand that. Is the tariff value the same as the trade income? Do the ships have to actually be in the colonies, or can they be in your large fleet patrolling the Stait of Gibraltar?
The Tariff value is basically the same as production in provinces which are not distant voerseas. The ships just need to exist, it does not matter where they are. But as you stated, it might be smart to have some in the colonies because of pirates.

1. Governments: I think I've still got a Feudal Monarchy government in my Spanish Empire. Should I change governments?
If you want to. Different governments are good for different things. One of the main advantages of turning into an Empire, for example, is that you get called Emperor.

2. New Sprites: Do the sprites (e.g., the new Reformation & Enlightment sprites) add to the game play, or are they simply cosmetic?
Simply cosmetic, they change the way your units look on the map. No gameplay effect at all.

Thanks to all who have answered my noob questions. I apologize for being a noob at this game -- I am actually quite experienced and accomplished at other games (Total War series, Civ series, even Sim City & Cities XL). But at EU3 I am a total noob, having been induced to try the game by one of my Total War forum friends. So, anyway, here is my next noob question:

Saved Games: Where are they? I have looked in the Save Game folder in the EU3 directory (in Program Files x86), but it is empty. The reason I am asking is because I have decided to delete them all and start over.

Last edited:
... Saved Games: Where are they? I have looked in the Save Game folder in the EU3 directory (in Program Files x86), but it is empty. The reason I am asking is because I have decided to delete them all and start over.
Heh heh ... er, um ... I just found them.:blush: Just in case someone else wants to know: C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\save games\

** AppData is a hidden file folder; you have to type it in manually or else you will never find any of its sub-folders.

Thanks to all who have answered by noob questions. I apologize for being a noob at this game -- I am actually quite experienced and accomplished at other games (Total War series, Civ series, even Sim City & Cities XL). But at EU3 I am a total noob, having been induced to try the game by one of my Total War forum friends. So, anyway, here is my next noob question:

Saved Games: Where are they? I have looked in the Save Game folder in the EU3 directory (in Program Files x86), but it is empty. The reason I am asking is because I have decided to delete them all and start over.

Hm, in my case they are exactly there. I would check the usual places windows likes to put stuff, like My Documents.

Is there any way for me to prevent sneaky countries (bloody Portugal) to declare war on someone I am warring and just go around and start sieging up everything? Kind of painfull when I am stuck in a battle with my main force just barely winning and noticing in the meantime that they went around and sieged up everything, making me unable to get the provinses, is there any way out of this except warring on Portugal?

Is it possible to form the kingdom of Jerusalem as a crusader nation? 'Cause I've heard of someone doing it, if not is there a mod which has that decision/event or did I simply misunderstand?

Is it possible to form the kingdom of Jerusalem as a crusader nation? 'Cause I've heard of someone doing it, if not is there a mod which has that decision/event or did I simply misunderstand?

From what I heard you have to conquer the province (I guess it is Judea but not 100% sure) and convert it to catholicism. Afterwards you can release it as an independent country and you can switch then.