• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What determines the skills of monarchs and how can one 'steer' some in it? I have seen many >7/>7/>7s with other countries but my best was 8/8/4...

You can't influence them at all, except for trying to kill off bad ones. It is pure luck. For republics, there is some influence since you can choose one stat that can not be below 5, and also keep good rulers and get rid of bad ones easily.

Last edited:
Is there any point in building a manufactory in a overseas province?

Only base tax and not added tax is counted right?

So then I wouldn't be able to enjoy the tax bonus?
As safferli says a manu doesn't give a tax bonus. The major benefit from them is the tech investment (60/year) which is not affected at all by being overseas. The minor benefit is +6 or +12 per year to the province which is either unaffected by being overseas or is included in tariffs (I don't recall which) but either way it can still give you the full value.

You can't influence them at all, except for trying to kill of bad ones. It is pure luck. For republics, there is some influence since you can choose one stat that can not be below 5, and also keep good rulers and get rid of bad ones easily.

And how would one 'keep' the good ones and 'kill off' bad ones?

And how would one 'keep' the good ones and 'kill off' bad ones?

Sometimes you'll get an event where your choice can influence the chance of your heir dying. As far as I know the only way to make rulers die is to have them die in battle, which lowers your stability (though converting them to a general may lower their life span but that's not as certain).

With republics you get a choice of rulers every election. You can choose to keep your current one or get a new one where one stat is above 4 (you choose the stat, and other stats could also be at or above 5).

Sometimes you'll get an event where your choice can influence the chance of your heir dying. As far as I know the only way to make rulers die is to have them die in battle, which lowers your stability (though converting them to a general may lower their life span but that's not as certain).

With republics you get a choice of rulers every election. You can choose to keep your current one or get a new one where one stat is above 4 (you choose the stat, and other stats could also be at or above 5).

So the realms with continuous great leaders are just lucky?

An other question:

I just had an infamy rating of 55/32. However, none attacked me. Could this be because 'We are the greatest' [by far, I must add]?

So the realms with continuous great leaders are just lucky?

An other question:

I just had an infamy rating of 55/32. However, none attacked me. Could this be because 'We are the greatest' [by far, I must add]?

Yes. The AI is not always suicidal (often, but not always) However, if you get in a war, you will probably get DoWs from most of the people you border. And yes, continuous good leaders is pure luck. Unless you play with historical leaders (I think, never done that because everyone says it is totally broken)

Games rarely follow history, so the historical leaders can get strange. Like the historically last emperor of Byzantium will stay alive until the end of the game.
Unless you run an unpatched Heir to the Throne or older version there is no longer any option for historical rulers (which is not the same as historical leaders i.e. generals/admirals).

Unless you run an unpatched Heir to the Throne or older version there is no longer any option for historical rulers (which is not the same as historical leaders i.e. generals/admirals).

But I imagine that the same problem I described for rulers would be true for leaders as well. Another example is England/Scotland, which after 1707 become Great Britain.

But I imagine that the same problem I described for rulers would be true for leaders as well. Another example is England/Scotland, which after 1707 become Great Britain.
Similar at least: leaders simply won't be received for GBR until its historical formation date. BYZ leaders won't live forever though; historical leaders die on their scripted death_date while historical rulers would live until the next ruler appears. Historical leaders are actually more of a problem in some ways though since that means no explorers/conquistadors for a pre-1707 GBR.

What exactly is the "War Capacity" that is displayed in a War Screen? I know that it should be some sort of measurement of how mucht you got beat up, but it seems to be pretty random often.

What exactly is the "War Capacity" that is displayed in a War Screen? I know that it should be some sort of measurement of how mucht you got beat up, but it seems to be pretty random often.
To see its effects and its monthly change, mouse over the number. In addition, one-time WE modifiers aren't listed there (since they don't happen on a monthly basis): losing a siege, a battle ending, taking stability hits from a DoW, etc.

I was not talking about War Exhaustion, i was talking about that "War Capacity" that is next to each country in the War screen.

This thing:

MOqfQ.jpg

I was not talking about War Exhaustion, i was talking about that "War Capacity" that is next to each country in the War screen.

This thing:

MOqfQ.jpg
Oh, whoops. It's a measure of how capable a country is to continue the war, and is calculated by stuff like army size, manpower reserves, stabiliy, war exhaustion, occupied provinces, etc. It's used for AI peace deal purposes only, and matters a lot more to the AI than warscore does.

It also makes absolutely no sense to a human player, as I've noticed time and time again. I can't tell you how many times I've won a war just because I somehow plunged an enemy's war capacity despite actually losing all the battles.

It also makes absolutely no sense to a human player, as I've noticed time and time again. I can't tell you how many times I've won a war just because I somehow plunged an enemy's war capacity despite actually losing all the battles.
It sometimes seems to fluctuate randomly, but there are usually good reasons for it to happen (perhaps the AI suddenly has a lot of rebels in the fog, for example).

Meh. I was hoping for exact information, since i can not make any sense of it either. The name implicates that it has something to do with how capable you are of fighting a war, but i have no idea why i started some wars at 0%, while having a full storage of manpower and being pretty close to my force limits. Granted, i was fighting a far stronger enemy, so that might have figured into it, but still, i was at at least 90% of my theoretical War capacity in my opinion. I figured it has something to do with your manpower, or maybe the size of your army, or something like that, but it would be nice to know exactly how it works.

Meh. I was hoping for exact information, since i can not make any sense of it either. The name implicates that it has something to do with how capable you are of fighting a war, but i have no idea why i started some wars at 0%, while having a full storage of manpower and being pretty close to my force limits. Granted, i was fighting a far stronger enemy, so that might have figured into it, but still, i was at at least 90% of my theoretical War capacity in my opinion. I figured it has something to do with your manpower, or maybe the size of your army, or something like that, but it would be nice to know exactly how it works.
Because it's relative to your opponent(s). If the other side has several times your army and manpower then naturally you won't be at 100% WS.