• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Still trucking along in my second game (as austria), doing much better now.
I saw in my tech spending screen that I was about to unlock Noble Republic, however once i got the tech that government type didn't appear in my government list. Do governments not show in your list if there are other pre-reqs? If their are pre-reqs how am i supposed to know what I need to do if its not shown? Usually this game has tool-tips everywhere, but in this case there is nothing to mouse over!
Thanks!

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Government
there is a government conversion diagram there.

cheers keinwyn ^

any easy ways to raise prestige ?

Hire a philosopher. Win battles/wars. Cultural decisions often give a decent annual prestige, f.e. tapestry and introduce heir.

Everything in a peace deal has malus/benefits in prestige and infamy, and costs warscore.

f.e. demanding a province gives 4 infamy and 5? prestige. The warscore will vary according to the value of the province. Lets say you want a province that needs 20 warscore unoccupied (occupying a province halves the warscore needed to take it).

If you declare war using the imperialism CB it gives 50% infamy, 100% prestige and 75% cost. This means it will give you 2 infamy, 5 prestige and needs 15 warscore (or 8 if it is occupied).

how can I make a nation stop embargoing me without a war? I'm playing province minor in asia and ming embargoed me. I hav royal marrige, mediocer trust level, 200 relation but they wouldn't let me trade! I know ai relieve embargo from time to time but I need to know the requirements!

Using a CB, you will get less infamy, more prestige, and it'll cost less WS to get stuff in a peace deal.

What im saying is this for example it says:

Infamy Prestige Warscore

25% 200% 50% Release annexed, Release vassals, Reduce sphere, Demand provinces, Indemnities, Concede defeat
0% 100% 25% Release vassals, Release annexed, Revoke cores, Reduce sphere, Indemnities, Concede defeat

which is better ? have the %'s higher or lower ? and also if you have no CB is the base at 0% ???

For warscore and infamy - the lower, the better. For prestige - vice versa. For instance 25% infamy means that the usual cost of 4 infamy per province is reduced to just 1. 50% warscore means that with the same warscore you can demand twice as many provinces or you can get what you want without having to overrun the whole country you are fighting with.

how can I make a nation stop embargoing me without a war? I'm playing province minor in asia and ming embargoed me. I hav royal marrige, mediocer trust level, 200 relation but they wouldn't let me trade! I know ai relieve embargo from time to time but I need to know the requirements!

There really aren't any preset requirements.

which is better ? have the %'s higher or lower ? and also if you have no CB is the base at 0% ???

You want infamy to be the lowest percentage possible, prestige to be the highest possible, and warscore to be the lowest possible. The base "no CB" modifiers are all 100%.

Hi, is there a smarter way to get rid of pirates except by placing one ship for each sea zone?

Reason I am asking is that I have a big colonial empire, and with one ship per sea zone (in port or not does not matter) my quick panel is completely cluttered by the myriad of fleets listed there -- making it not so quick to navigate (meh!) anymore.

Subquestions:
- is there a way to disable pirates completely? they are more an annoyance for the AI than for me anyway.
- is there a way (editing included) to make a fleet in port defend more than the single sea zone it is in?

PS: I am playing HTTT 4.1b

Thanks for answering a lot of questions for me, OrangeYoshi!

I hope I'm not bothering you with one more question though. It's something I couldn't find on forum or wiki.

Can the military tactics bonus(defensive bonus given to a stack for relevant portion of cavalry compared to infantry) be taken away as soon as your composition is broken during the battle, or does it remain till the end of the battle?

- is there a way (editing included) to make a fleet in port defend more than the single sea zone it is in?

PS: I am playing HTTT 4.1b

Yes, it will defend a given distance (it seems to expand the zone as the game goes on but I can't parse how or why), so sea zones that are close together will only need one ship per 3 sea zones. e.g. A single ship at port in in Manhattan can cover the sea zone on either side (Massachusets to Roanoake). However, some sea zones are bigger than your defend zone, so around Brazil for instance you need a ship at each port from the north coast around to Pernambuco.

edit - And I think the whole of England, Scotland and Ireland can be defended with only 4, maybe 5 ships strategically placed in port.

Thanks for answering a lot of questions for me, OrangeYoshi!

I hope I'm not bothering you with one more question though. It's something I couldn't find on forum or wiki.

Can the military tactics bonus(defensive bonus given to a stack for relevant portion of cavalry compared to infantry) be taken away as soon as your composition is broken during the battle, or does it remain till the end of the battle?

I'm not positive, but I do believe it can be broken in battle. Personally, I always carry around 2-3k more inf than cav if I'm worried about having that bonus in battles. Sometimes having extra cav outweighs the military tactics bonus, however. Especially early in the game.

is it worth even putting merchants in COT for med to big nations ? because they seem to get competed out frequently.

It's perfectly possible to trade as a large nation, there's just a few other variables that you need to pay attention to. If your slider is on the mercantile side, you won't have too much luck trading outside of CoTs that you own, and most bigger nations start in that situation. Infamy is also important; if you've been expanding a lot you'll probably have medium-high infamy which really hurts your compete chance in foreign centers. Finally, if you own a CoT but don't have a core on it, you'll have the same problem.

If you keep your slider towards free trade and your reputation clean, you won't have much difficulty trading.