• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do you create a new nation? Is there a thread devoted to that? I want to create the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

There are missions for the Polish to do so, although they just mean that you incorporate Lithuania into Poland. I assume someone who knows about modding might tell you more about how to do it. Probably the easiest way would be just to change the name of Poland or something like that.

Steam FAQ has answers to all of these questions!

Q: I've heard that Steam doesn't work well with mods, how do you get it to run mods?

A: Its quite simple really. Again, all you have to do is right click EU3 in your steam library, choose properties, then on the box, click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... From that box, enter '-mod [mod folder name]'. To get the mod folder name, if you don't know, you go to: [Where you installed steam]\steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete\mod
You take the name of the mod folder exactly and enter it into the launch options box. For example, I want to play the Whole World Mod. I take a look and find out the mod folder is called 'WholeWorld'. When that's done, launching the game will launch the mod.

Q: I just bought/redownloaded EU3 Complete/HTTT/DW/Chronicles off steam, and its installed the latest patch/game. I don't want to use that, its incompatible with x.

A: Unfortunately, when steam downloads/installs a game, it will automatically go to the latest patch. You are unable to stop it at 4.0 for example, it will go automatically to 4.1. There is no way to toggle this. You can't roll back to any previous version once the newer one has been installed. Example: If you buy Chronicles or Divine Wind, you can only only play Divine Wind, not any of the other previous expansions.

I see, I should have asked although if colonies increase the tech cost relatively much per province?

they didn't icrease it more than any other province you have - in this case the question is: are they giving you more or less income than the average of your other provinces?

so colonies with better trade goods should not slow your tech at all - and counting in their trade benefits, the picture gets even better.

I meant: "No, they don't do it with a high value per province"
I have right now a Spain game Alt-Tabbed and i know what I say :p

He asked about tech cost, not tech speed. They undeniably do increase tech cost, even though high-value provinces may sometimes not decrease tech speed.

...and now it became a clearly grammatical question, but from the original text I read "relative tech speed" without the word "relative" actually mentioned, so the answer heavily depends on the fact that you place the word "relative" into that phrase in your mind or not :)

Sandman asked if colonies increased tech costs the same as a home province does.
Gogu said they did not.

I say they do. In terms of increasing tech costs, colonies are the same as home provinces.
Colonies with good trade goods increase tech speed, whereas poor colonies decrease speed.

And vasziljevics is right, relative to what? You get answered the question you ask, not what you meant to say.

Best Mod to start off with for divine wind ?

None. Play vanilla first.

Then either go for MEIOU (for a total conversion) or SRI (less-intrusive conversion)

If you truly want to play a mod, then MiscMods is a good one to start off with. Not very intrusive, but adds neat features to the game.